Insecticide tags

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I know there are lots of opinions on the effectiveness of fly tags, and I have been on both sides over time. For several years I have been using Python Magnum tags, and I do think they help. Been wondering if or when I need to change to a different kind. I'm not sure how many years I've used them, thinking maybe 6-7, which the way time gets away could be more like 10.

I fly tags calves,and calves I buy. I never tag cows. Calves are usually the only thing that gets pinkeye for me. It's tempting to quit tagging anything.

I've used tags in the past and still do on one group away from home.Three years organophosphate then one year of newer pyrethroid.I am real pleased with the control get from cattle rubs Also do some spraying where I haven't got a place for the rubs.

My hills

I would recommend switching to a different tag, they recommend rotation to avoid building up a resistance. How have the tags been working the past few years for you based on all the studies I have read using the same tag for that long they say they won't be very effective. The best product we ever found for fly control was a bolus called vigilante it worked for about 5 months. Of course they took it off the market. We are looking at using fly control in our minerals this year to see if that helps, the tags just aren't working as well as the bolus did for us. We will still use tags but will try the mineral for additional protection. We haven't had much of a winter here so anticipate a fly filled summer.

Gizmom

We change chemicals every year. It seems to help, we fly tag in May worm cows at the same time and dont seem to have any fly problems all summer

Thanks y'all. I will change tags, and may try other methods too. I suspect flies will be bad here too, this summer. I tried some kinds of mineral years ago, but not for long. I was told that something in it could affect the cattle getting bred. I feel like that if it were a problem though, it would likely have been corrected by now, cause that was many years ago.

Have used the tags - Python, Python Magnum and Warrior for the last 2-3 years with much success. Absolutely zero pinkeye other than two calves late last fall after the tags effectiveness had wore out I suspect.

I am going to try something new this year after talking to some major feed reps here. They have had so much success with garlic powder in mineral, that they have been mixing it on commercial scale into some of their mineral mixes. I don't use their particular brand of mineral, but I told them I would buy the powder direct from them and mix it myself. Works out to about 1/2 pound in a 50 lb bag of mineral. When the cattle sweat in the summer heat, they smell like garlic and the flies avoid them at all costs.

A big share of the reason that some tags lose their effectiveness is because people don;t remove the old tags and put on new ones when they should. We haven;t used fly tags in years, we prefer other methods of fly control. The tag box will specify somewhere that the tag needs to be changed after X period of time. If it isn;t the low levels of chemicals left aren;t enough to be effective but they are enough to contribute to immunity/resistance to the chemicals.

Latest posts