XP-820 ear tags

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these tags? New chemical class. Was wondering how effective they have proven to be? On face flies particularly.

I used them in rotation with other tags. Worked about the same. Hard to tell if they were any better since fly concentration seems to vary year to year.

I've used them two different years on two different herds. I was pleased with there performance on all types of flies both times.

I used them last year to rotate from the Python Magnum tags. I guess they did ok as I didn't see as many flies around as there could have been. I have always thought the Python Magnum tags did real well against face flies.

I used these several years ago and was astounded at how well they worked. Like a dummy I used them the next year and the flies became resistant. And before that they were resistant to everything. Just two weeks ago I put Tri-Zap in the ears of just four cows in a herd of 12 and there are VERY few flies on any of them now. I'm thrilled and the cows are relaxed.

They all seemed about the same to me they just don't last long enough. I quit using them but our fly season lasts 9 months. If I had just a few cows, I would change them out regularly but I don't.
Blacksnake is correct in that it is almost impossible to tell how good they work from year to year with different fly concentrations. Rain can make a lot of difference in the amount of the pests.

When I used them, the XP's worked good for a couple months.

Just two weeks ago I put Tri-Zap in the ears of just four cows in a herd of 12 and there are VERY few flies on any of them now.

mjnetex,

Are you saying that the tags on just 4 cows helped control flies on cows that you did not tag?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Latest posts