injured cow

Help Support CattleToday:

pattio100

Reaction score
We have a 7 year old heifer that just had a calf on Monday, she and the calf both did fine. Earlier today she was the first cow to the feed trough calf intow, later this evening she is down and cannot stand at all I have tried everything I know to do. Is there anyone out there that possibly can help us!!!! This cow is like a part of the family, Help us please!!!! Thank you so much for your input and please try to be kind.

We're not real sure she has horns on her head and a neighbor called and said that one of our cows were down, we rushed up the hill to where they were and she had her horns tangled up in the bobwire fence we cut the fence and and pulled her thru to the other side and she never stood back up. She tries to get up and falls back down, she doesn't seem to have any broken bones. And we had just fed the cows about 45 minutes earlier.I am just beside myself because I cannot figure out what could have possibly happened to her. Any ideas?

pattio100":b1j9uuyx said:
We have a 7 year old heifer that just had a calf on Monday, she and the calf both did fine.

7 year old heifer? Or do you mean 7 year old cow? First calf or fifth calf?

Texan":266uev9t said:
pattio100":266uev9t said:
.....we cut the fence and and pulled her thru to the other side and she never stood back up.
How did you pull her?
My son and I and our neighbor grabbed her horns and pulled her thru she was trying to stand the whole time, and we thought that she would.

Go ahead and call your vet. Try to be prepared to give him/her a little more information about symptoms, injuries, condition, etc. Good luck.

Texan":2ts9qyzd said:
Go ahead and call your vet. Try to be prepared to give him/her a little more information about symptoms, injuries, condition, etc. Good luck.
Thank you, sorry about the delay in answering we're having a bad wind storm. I think I'll go to the barn now so I can be with her. thanks again.

pattio100":3i09wx4e said:
milkmaid":3i09wx4e said:
pattio100":3i09wx4e said:
We have a 7 year old heifer that just had a calf on Monday, she and the calf both did fine.

7 year old heifer? Or do you mean 7 year old cow? First calf or fifth calf?
This is her fifth calf.
Yes this her fifth calf and she has never had any problems whatsoever before.

Something definately is going on with her.. not being able to stand sounds like possibly a back injury? You need a vet's opinion.

I'm trying to contact the vet on the other line, but theres somthing up with the telephone lines and I don't think that she'll make it thru the night. Please say a prayer for our baby, thats her name. My kids are very upset, my son won't leave the barn where she is.We have her hanging in a sling, but every time we put her down she won't stand.[/list]

can she move at all? is it possible she broke her neck trying to untangle herself?

What breed? is she a heavy milker? How's her overall appearance? eyes? ears? attitude? picture?

But like Texan said...calling the vet would be a good idea. :) Not good to let them stay down.

its sounds almost like maybe her getting tangled in the wire was a consequence of her loss of coordination. is she a heavy milking cow? what breed is she?

you know waht they say about great minds MilkMaid?

they type at the same time.

:lol: Almost posted the same thing about "great minds" until I saw you'd already said it. :lol:

What drugs do you have on hand, patti?

She is a roane-black angus mix, she is a very heavy milker, her overall apperance is good. Her attitude is good, she wants to stand but just doesn't seem to have the energy too.

Milkmaid, any chance it could be milk fever? I know it's been 3 days since calving and I thought milk fever hit sooner, but don't know for sure. What do you think?

Latest posts