injured cow

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
We have a nice 3 year old cow slip and go down while being mounted by our bull yesterday. She is limping pretty bad, but I can't tell exactly whats wrong with her. Unfortunately our entire pasture is mud and she is having trouble getting around in it. I'd like to move her and her 3 month old bull calf to better footing ground or perhaps the barn even. Any suggestions as to potential treatment. I am planning on giving banamine as it looks like her ankle may be swollen, but I cant quite tell if its an ankle or a hip.

If she is back up and walking, you at least are ahead of what can happen. There were a lot of cattle in our area that went down on slick ground this winter, did the splits and never got back up. One happened to be a heifer that I sold to a local. It was sad. They had to shoot her and their daughter was heart broken because Daisy was like a puppy and their daughter got very attached.

Back to your situation, if she is walking, she will probably mend on her own. Probably a hip injury. I had a cow fall in a holler, it was pretty dramatic. She had a hard time getting back up. I was sure she would never recover. She is fine now. It took about 6 months.

Bright Raven said:
If she is back up and walking, you at least are ahead of what can happen. There were a lot of cattle in our area that went down on slick ground this winter, did the splits and never got back up. One happened to be a heifer that I sold to a local. It was sad. They had to shoot her and their daughter was heart broken because Daisy was like a puppy and their daughter got very attached.

Back to your situation, if she is walking, she will probably mend on her own. Probably a hip injury. I had a cow fall in a holler, it was pretty dramatic. She had a hard time getting back up. I was sure she would never recover. She is fine now. It took about 6 months.

Thanks Ron, since she has a nice calf on her should I do anything different with her so that she can get around, maintain her weight and still keep this calf going, as she's been doing a heck of a job with him.

MRRherefords said:
Bright Raven said:

Thanks Ron, since she has a nice calf on her should I do anything different with her so that she can get around, maintain her weight and still keep this calf going, as she's been doing a heck of a job with him.

Anti-inflammatory is the only thing you can give. You can put her where she does not have the opportunity to travel a lot, such as a stall. If she is in the pasture she will travel with the herd. They can recover from injuries. The best remedy is rest and time.

Bright Raven said:
MRRherefords said:
Bright Raven said:

Anti-inflammatory is the only thing you can give. You can put her where she does not have the opportunity to travel a lot, such as a stall. If she is in the pasture she will travel with the herd. They can recover from injuries. The best remedy is rest and time.
Thank you Ron.

MRRherefords said:
Bright Raven said:
MRRherefords said:

Thank you Ron.

It is my privilege and pleasure.

MRRherefords said:
We have a nice 3 year old cow slip and go down while being mounted by our bull yesterday. She is limping pretty bad, but I can't tell exactly whats wrong with her. Unfortunately our entire pasture is mud and she is having trouble getting around in it. I'd like to move her and her 3 month old bull calf to better footing ground or perhaps the barn even. Any suggestions as to potential treatment. I am planning on giving banamine as it looks like her ankle may be swollen, but I cant quite tell if its an ankle or a hip.

Get her in a clean stall with lots of straw ASAP and call the vet.

I've had this happen in the past and they need time to take it easy, just like humans. I've kept them up, and in clean conditions for a week if necessary.

I had a 12 year old that had a stifle injury, during the same conditions you experienced, she never fully recovered, but she was pregnant and went on to have a healthy calf and nurse her just like normal, she just moves a lot slower than everyone else. Fast forward, she is almost 14 and limps still, she's in a lot with another grandma, and I'm preparing to AI her with sexed semen and get another daughter out of her.

If they are worth it, I don't give up on them till they drop. This requires effort and is not practical for everyone. I don't know how much she matters to you, or how much time you have, but she will most likely stage a comeback of sorts unless she has a broken leg.

From what you describe, likely a stifle injury. What previous posters said is good advice. Some bulls are less gentlemanly than others. This is another reason why bulls don't need to carry extra weight. I like to watch bulls mount if they tend to be hard on cows they might not make the bull pen next year.

Agree on having the vet out. I had a beautiful first calf heifer end up in the freezer due to a stifle injury, sold a great 3 year old bull with one and had an older cow make a complete recovery. And yet she may just have tweaked something, will be sore a couple days.

W.B. said:
From what you describe, likely a stifle injury. What previous posters said is good advice. Some bulls are less gentlemanly than others. This is another reason why bulls don't need to carry extra weight. I like to watch bulls mount if they tend to be hard on cows they might not make the bull pen next year.
Yes bulls have to be light on their feet around here for them to stay. I actually happened to be in the pasture when it happened, our problem right now is the ground is moving beneath their feet. He went up gently like normal and she slipped as she moved and fell on her butt and got up a little gingerly and has been slow and wanting to lay down a lot.

MRRherefords said:
W.B. said:
Yes bulls have to be light on their feet around here for them to stay. I actually happened to be in the pasture when it happened, our problem right now is the ground is moving beneath their feet. He went up gently like normal and she slipped as she moved and fell on her butt and got up a little gingerly and has been slow and wanting to lay down a lot.

People think that the bull climbs up on top and puts their entire weight on a cow. There is not a bull alive that my cows could not handle, plain and simple. I understand that younger females and grandmas could be susceptible to an injury if they are not conditioned to handle a massive bull, but most do not have issues. I would almost bet that your animal's injury came from a misplaced step on the terrain. I could be wrong.

Here is the 12-year-old cow I mentioned with a very bad stifle injury. We hand fed her for a LONG time during her pregnancy in order to save the SAV Harvestor daughter that she had inside her. We placed straw every night for her in the field, brought water, hay, and grain, EVERY SINGLE DAY for more than 50 days. I thought it would be a miracle if she recovered. She barely walked 20 steps a day. Then right on time, she gave birth to her calf, got up and nursed her. The calf in the video with the tag is from another dam, but she loved Grandma and stuck on her like glue.

http://bit.ly/2LAgnEz

Now after seeing that video above, fast forward a year and look how the effort paid off. This has become one of our top daughters in the making, a tank of a heifer. You get out what you put into cattle, it's not rocket science. They know when you care about them.

http://bit.ly/2Vi4kj2

Don't have to be a bull, I've had cows knock others down trying to ride ...and sometimes are caught off Gaurd from other cows mounting from the wrong positions.

ALACOWMAN said:
Don't have to be a bull, I've had cows knock others down trying to ride ...and sometimes are caught off Gaurd from other cows mounting from the wrong positions.

Absolutely right on that one

Quick update on her, we moved her to higher ground with better footing. Gave her a few banamine shots and have been taking her some feed, hay, and water. She has still been nursing the calf well. Yesterday, she surprised us by moving with the rest of the herd. Crossed the creek and is moving much better. She is still a little sore, but is greatly improving and showing signs of pulling out of it.

MRRherefords said:
Quick update on her, we moved her to higher ground with better footing. Gave her a few banamine shots and have been taking her some feed, hay, and water. She has still been nursing the calf well. Yesterday, she surprised us by moving with the rest of the herd. Crossed the creek and is moving much better. She is still a little sore, but is greatly improving and showing signs of pulling out of it.

You gotta love a survivor. Hope she keeps getting better.

Latest posts