injection site

Help Support CattleToday:

cagle520

Reaction score
Three weeks ago I vac my cows. I had been to busy to check on them, yesterday I checked and all cows/bulls/calves had large bumps about the size of a plum at each injection site. All were given the usual, lep/7way/black leg/ and this time I used injectable wormer. I used different needles/syringes each time. What happened and what should I do?

Could be that your cattle had a minor allergic reaction??

With injectable de-wormers (sub-cutaneously), if the dosage is greater than 10 ml (cc's), then the dose is split in half, one on each side of animal. If dosage less than 10 cc, then we give the de-wormer on opposite side from other vaccinations. Have had no reactions or bumps with this method.

I gave 5 injections each split on each side. 3 on one side 2 on the other. It did not matter which side 5 bumps. I gave all shots just the same as in the past seasons but this time nots.

Susie David":2zqog5q0 said:
Blackleg usually leaves a bump for a few weeks...I wouldn't worry. DMc

Ditto.

We use Boehringer Alpha/MB1, has blackleg and pinkeye both, almost always leaves a bump.

I appreciate your replys, but I'm saying every injection site is notted up on every cow and bull, and some are getting very large . I guess their absessed and probably should have a vet look at them. It's just more $$ that I don't have. Thanks again...

I'd just leave 'em alone. What would the vet do anyway? most likely look at them and tell you they'll resolve on their own. Even if they were ready to lance and your vet came out... is he supposed to lance, drain, and clean 5 abcesses on each cow? That's a little cost-prohibitive if you ask me.

We have this happen every time we vac. Don't worry about it. If they are going to absess they will burst on there own. Remember that cattle are pretty hardy.
I have only had 1 Bull that ever actually absessed and when it burst I sprayed discinfectant (sp) on it and he was fine. Actually more than one burst from puting him in the squeeze. He burst them when running threw the alley.
If you do call the vet he is probably (unless wanting to make money) tell you to be sure you did your vac. correctly and just watch them. If they burst put stuff on them to discinfect and keep flies from getting into the wounds.
Hope this helps.
Double R

That 7 way or black leg you used alwayes leaves a lump if it takes. I always look for the lump and it is a good sign. Further it will come off with the hide so some cattle buyers like to see it in calves they are buying.
It tells buyers that the calves have been taken care of and have some vac.

High humidity and or rain/drizzle at vaccination time will cause what you are describing here in the feedlot. Regardless of type of vaccine.

Latest posts