Information Please?

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp

Reaction score
One of my dogs was diagnosed with arthritis in her hips today. She has been placed on Rimadyl, which has the potential of messing up her liver, kidneys, and stomach. I've read the literature provided, the pamphlet that came with the starter box, and done some research, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a dog on this particular medication, and could maybe provide me with specific things to watch out for, how well it worked, possible side effects, that kind of thing. Vicky, I believe you are primarily large animal, but I think I remember you saying you did small animals on occasion - can you provide any information? Thank you in advance for any information.

One of our shelties was on it when he had hip surgery. Seemed to help him. I don't think it is advised to use in the long term,if it is maybe a liver blood test from time to time would avoid any damage. Wish I could be more help.

We had an older dog on it for awhile about 4-5 years ago. It gave her diarrhea and caused her to vomit up blood. My wife says she would only use it now as a last resort. Of course dogs, like people, can react differently to the same drug, and I really don't know if the age of the dog would be a major factor.

My wife (the expert in this house) suggests you check with your vet about a drug called Deramaxx. It's newer and, at least the last we heard, was supposed to be easier on the animal. We both wish you the best of luck.

MPR and Van, thank you. MPR - yes, the vet has already said that blood work will be required before he will put her on the Rimadyl long term, and every so often while she is on it so they can monitor her liver and kidney function - right now it is strictly on a trial basis to see if it will even help. Van, I will ask him about Deramaxx - please tell your wife thank you for me! :)

cowboyup216":1twri3xv said:
What about cetyl m? My neighbors dog is 15 years old and has arthritis in its back legs. Some days it couldnt walk cuz it was so stiff and locked up. Their vet gave it cetyl m and it walks as if there was never a problem now. If I am not mistaken I think cetyl m can be used for horses to.

http://www.cetylm.com/

Thank you! I'd never heard of it until now, but that just might be an option for me(I have arthritis in my hips, too), as well as my dog. I will definitely check it out in more depth. :D

Have a dog currently with elbow dysplacia. She is only 4. She's been on Rimadyl for a little over 8 months. She was on Metacam for awhile but she was in too much pain and had to be switched over. I've heard about the side effects as well but so far she hasn't had any huge problems. She does seem to get diarrhea a little more easily during the early calving season (calf poop is too rich) but a shot of Pepto Bismal helps that. It is a last resort but it does really help to control her pain. She can bounce like a puppy again. We know that she may not last as long being on this medication but quality of life is important too. Hope you find something that works for your dog.

I have a 15 year old Dalmatian thats been on Rimadyl for 2 plus years. I have never seen any observable side effects of the drug. The only thing noticeable is the way the old girl gimps around if I forget to give her her pills...

Latest posts