Info on Oklahoma?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
A good friend offered me a job managing the place she is buying. I don't know a lot of the details yet, but I believe it was some what close to Lexington. Acerage, house, barns, stalls, cattle set up, hay fields, good water, ect.
Is it a beef or dairy area? Can anyone post links of local cattle auctions so I can see market prices? What are hay prices? What kind of waether, and seasons? Droughts, natural disasters, is Texas affecting OK?

Just trying to find out as much info as I can about the area. I'm from Oregon, and have never been there before.

its definitely Beef country. The primary auction for that area is the Oklahoma City stockyards, just google it and it pops up, its one of the largest in the nation. The drought is as bad here as in most parts of Texas. http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/ its bad now but it has to break sometime. Other than the drought its good cattle country. Growing season is usually from mid March to mid October. Winters are mild with a couple inches of snow per year and usually an ice storm. Summers are humid and July and August see temps that often hit 100 deg F.

i spend two weeks a month in oklahoma but i never go east of I-35 anymore.
back when i did i really liked the Lexington/purcell area.
it's cattle and hay country and the people are country(big +) but it's close enough to okc for shopping/entertainment.
now the summers are hot and humid and the ticks and chiggers are bad some years.
the winters are pretty mild, little snow but it melts after a day or two.
the current drought is wide spread and has effected okalhoma and up into kansas so yes drought like other places is a problem at times but not as bad as further south and west.
my only experience with the auctions was at apache and they have a good sale
here is a link for oklahoma auctions
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fet ... OKSLCattle

yes forgot the ice storms as isomade stated have been boogers in the recent years

Thanks for the info. I grew up on the westcoast. 100+" of rain, and mild temps. Moved here to Oregon, cold winters, little snow, 100+* summers. ICK! Howeve I am pretty use to it now.

She sent me pics and the place loook nice. It sounds like they still have water.

TexasBred":1z9wgtyw said:
LimoX":1z9wgtyw said:
If you move welcome to GODS country!
Well....at least as close to God's Country as you can get without being in it. ;-)
Actually if you described either one at the moment is sounds closer to the opposite :lol: . Hotter than fire, no rain, everything is burnt up, no water..... :lol:

LimoX":3pd8qwqm said:
True Iso, but here in Northeast Oklahoma it hasn't been that bad!

if i had it to to again i'd have stayed in claremore ok area or the kansas flint hills.
hindsights 20/20

Smillincowranch, If you want to look at Oka. and its weather and countryside, in all truth-fullness it is as diverse a place you will find IMO cut the state in four segments and pick what you like, although where you are thinking about moving is a really nice area of the state to raise a family and cattle. Oklahoma is a great place to raise cattle and is as diverse in the weather as it is in its people. One thing about our weather here is most of the time you will get all four seasons, and will get the occasional drought, ice storm, deep freeze, 6 foot snow, and i ALMOST FORGOT TORNADO! LOl