info needed on shipping

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
i would like to bring in some new blood for the few of us alaskans that have dexter cows. can anyone help with where i find information on shipping either out of canada or thru canada to alaska? every dexter here is ,in my opinion, too closely related. thanks much! peace connie in alaska

If you are talking about health requirements to cross the state borders, I would suggest you talk to your vet. He can tell you what is needed in the way of paperwork, tests, etc. If the ban on Canadian live cattle is still in place, the paperwork won't matter - you won't be able to bring them into this country from Canada. I don't know how the possible ban on live imports would effect importing through Canada, though. Your vet or your state livestock board should be able to answer that for you.

thank you for the ideas. using semen isnt as easy as it sounds when i cant find anyone willing to ship it! i have checked this out. there is also an issue of having the semen shipped since i have been told by breeders in the lower 48 hat it will also have to go thru quarentine. having a bull here that is non-related would allow more people to make use of the semen he can produce. i also am not certain that the cow i have isnt already terribly inbred. we would like to bring in healthy new blood so that the inbreeding does not continue. i will check with the vets in our area and see what i can find out. peace connie

Semen has to go through quarantine???

I think the breeders you talk to need their heads examined. It sits in a tank of liquid nitrogen some, what, 300, 400 degrees below zero? The purpose of quarantine is to watch the animal and make sure it doesn't show signs of disease. What do they expect the frozen semen to do? mutate and start crawling out of the tank? Seriously! :roll:

Best talk to your vet and get some real info about what the rules are on frozen semen and incoming cattle. Lot of folks in the lower 48 forget that Alaska IS part of the U.S. and presume the rules about shipping to AK are similar to shipping to, say, Australia.

If there is a problem with it having to go through or fly over canada to reach there, take a cruise to seattle with your tank and get the semen delivered there.

Wouldn"t think there would be any problem with semen going to Alaska. If the bulls semen were cleared for export when the semen was collected you will have no problem.

Red Bull Breeder":vxke1cc8 said:
Wouldn't think there would be any problem with semen going to Alaska. If the bulls semen were cleared for export when the semen was collected you will have no problem.

That is the main thing, it must be approved and yes MM all semen has to be accredited before it can be exported, each state and country has different regulations before the semen can be approved.
You will not be able to buy from a breeder directly unless they are accredited and approved to export, I think this is the problem .
Have you called every beef semen company in the states to see what is available, they can even ship you the semen on the bus in a mini nitrogen tank.

Btw live cattle ,breeding stock are still going across the border but I think the cost of shipping a live animal would be outrageous.

Contact your agri. rep for your state they should be able to get you in the right direction.

milkmaid":354wne30 said:
Semen has to go through quarantine???

Of course it does. Disease can be spread just as quickly through semen as it can through live imports. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm thinking that if freezing would kill disease, the CDC probably would not be freezing their samples to preserve them. I'm sure there is much more to it than my simplistic example, but I think you get my jist.

Semen will not be quarantined. The bull has to be collected at some place like Hawkeye where he will be tested for everthing. If the bull has any diease or other problems hiis semen will not be cleared for export. There are different regulations for diffrent countries, so just because a bull cannot be exported to one place he can another.

OK folks. I looked up the rules for shipping to Alaska.

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/cgi-bi...=[group+title18chap36!3A]/doc/{@1}/hits_only? (have to copy and paste to view link for some reason)

Cattle can be shipped to Alaska provided they have a permit and health certificate, and if over 6 months of age have a negative brucellosis test. In the absence of any of the three they go into quarantine unless designated for immediate slaughter.

No word on semen from that site.

Select Sires services Alaska however -- http://selectsires.com/coops/allwest.aspx -- so there evidently isn't an issue shipping into Alaska, which isn't a surprise.

Have you all forgotten Alaska IS part of the United States? It's not as if you're attempting to ship to a different country!

No MM i had not forgot. But if the bull semen was cleared for export to Canada and other countries sure shouldn't be a problem to get it to Alaska.

milk maid thank you so much! i had tried to find that information before posting here. my google searches arent always the best lol. you have all given me great info and good ideas.
by the way, often times shipping anything to alaska is more costly and more difficult than shipping to say...australia! if you were to ship something say from seattle to miami and the same item from seattle to anchorage shipping to anchorage would usually be 4 times as high! the distance isnt any farthur but they charge more because they can! we are only a part of the united states when it suits the feds and that is only for taxes and stupid laws! i will make some contacts and if i am successful in shipping a dexter bull calf from either cananda or the lower 48 i will let you all know. thank you again for your help! peace connie in alaska