influenza

Help Support CattleToday:

farmer4620

Reaction score
whats gonna happen if avian gets here...i heard if it gets to its worst 2 million in america will die...thats a scary thought...i just thought this would be a good topic to chat about because this is a huge event if it happens to get really bad

I think alot of elderly and weakend people will die. My worse thought is of terrorists both foreign and domestic taking advantage of a situation. I think it is a good topic. I know people that don't ever want to think of things like this much less prepair for any type of disaster.

Scotty

considering that I'm in chicken houses almost everyday - I've been paying close attention to this -

I don't think that it is anything to get crazy about nor do I think that it is something to ignore -

if you look at the numbers - only 2 or 3 people have died at a time and in countrys with what would seem to me to be very poor sanitation -

so - yes the virus could mutate and change to a person to person virus and be like the black plague -
but in my opinion, I think the press is having a field day with this and scaring the &%$# out of everybody.

mdmdogs3":8i4iyzlu said:
I think the press is having a field day with this and scaring the &%$# out of everybody.

Isn't that what the press is paid to do, after all sensationalism sells like hot cakes!

i think we're passed due for a population thinning myself. its only a matter of time before something pops up and keeps us in check. thats just nature folks, population gets too big, disease and/or starvation occurs. its coming, hate to be the bearer of bad news and be a total downer on MLK day. it may not be the bird flu and it may not be this year, but we too will be culled one day.

farmer4620":27wym2ex said:
whats gonna happen if avian gets here...i heard if it gets to its worst 2 million in america will die...thats a scary thought...i just thought this would be a good topic to chat about because this is a huge event if it happens to get really bad

Well check out the Spainish influenza of 1918 kill rate.
Good book talks about the plauges better have your ticket ready.

Scotty":1uz7hn9q said:
I think alot of elderly and weakend people will die. My worse thought is of terrorists both foreign and domestic taking advantage of a situation. I think it is a good topic. I know people that don't ever want to think of things like this much less prepair for any type of disaster.

Scotty

Scotty, I have read just the opposite about weakened and old people. The Dr's assessment I read said that people with higher immune responses will die at a higher rate. Think about this.........
fluid buildup in the lungs is a natural immunity protection that helps the body shed the virus by coughing it out. Healthier people can fill the lungs at a higher rate and actually drown themselves.

Also this Dr. said; "DO NOT" take aspirin or any other pain reliever to bring fever down for 2-3 days after onset. Fever is a natural way for the human body to kill the virus. When you get fever you also get chills, making you raise your temperature even more to assist the process.

It is thought that aspirin contributed to the spread of the 1918 flu epidemic in that it did bring down fever and allowed people more contact because they felt better after taking it and had contact with others.

So I guess the old remedy of taking a "hot toddy" and getting under a pile of quilts was the right way after all... :?:

Both the government and the press like to scare people. The government likes to because it helps keep control of the masses. The press likes selling their stories. The bird flu will probably not be as bad as they say it will be - look at Y2K.

However, I think Caustic Bruno hit the nail on the head, everyone should be ready to meet God. Not just if the flu gets bad either, you never know when you are going to go and it's best to have accepted Jesus before it's too late.
I refuse to live my life being afraid to die of anything. If I die of bird flu, so be it. God won't let anything happen to me that isn't meant to be.

I agree that the media over exagerates the stories it reports. Take hurricane Katrina for instance, not saying it wasn't bad because it was, but if I'm not mistaken in the days leading up to Katrina the media was reporting that thousands were going to be killed and how terrible it was going to be. Well I don't know the exact number of dead, but it was not nearly as bad as they talked it up to be. Again don't think that I'm saying the death and destruction that did occur wasn't bad it's just when the media reports about something thats bad they get too excited and it inflates in size. Not being political but look at the war in Iraq. Before we went in they were reporting outrageous numbers that would be killed, and although many have paid the ultament (sp?) price it's not anywhere near what we were told was going to happen. Believe about 50% of what you hear from todays media.

If avian influenza is as virulent as we're led to believe then why hasn't it spread like wildfire through the third world killing thousands upon thousands? If it mutates and becomes more infectious and easily spread through human to human contact then there could be a pandemic. Right now I think the media is crying wolf as usual.

Turkey reports 21st human case of Bird Flu
Jan 17 2:28 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

Turkey announced that another child was diagnosed with bird flu, raising to 21 the total number of human cases in the country, among them four teenagers already dead and a small boy in worsening condition.

With the lethal virus now raging at the threshold of Europe, officials from half of the world's nations gathered in Beijing for a two-day meeting aimed at raising 1.5 billion dollars to help fight the disease.

The Turkish health ministry identified the new case of H5N1 infection as a child from the remote eastern town of Dogubeyazit, near the border with Iran, from where the four dead also hailed.

The child, whose details were not released, was in intensive care in a hospital in the eastern city of Erzurum.

Meanwhile, in Van, further east, five-year-old Muhammed Ozcan, the brother of one of the four victims, was reported in deteriorating condition.

"The infection in his lungs advanced a bit more last night," Huseyin Avni Sahin, the chief physician of the Van hospital, told AFP by telephone. "His condition is now worse than yesterday."

The boy, described as the gravest case so far among the H5N1 carriers under treatment, did not require an artificial respirator yet, he said.

The disease has killed four teenagers in Turkey since January 1, including the boy's sister, all of whom were in close contact with sick birds that their impoverished families bred in backyards.

The 16-year-old Fatma Ozcan died Sunday, about two weeks after she and her brother slaughtered a sick duck for food.

The other three victims -- a brother and two sisters -- perished earlier this month, becoming the first human fatalities of the virus outside its origins in Asia.

Sahin said late diagnosis and treatment were likely a "primary factor in fatality cases".

The four dead adolescents were brought to the hospital days after they began showing the symptoms of the disease, doctors said.

Days before Fatma Ozcan perished, she was shown on television, sitting visibly sick on a hospital bench in Dogubeyazit, as her father argued with a doctor against sending the two children to a larger hospital.

The impoverished man agreed to send the children to Van only after he was persuaded that he would not be charged for their treatment.

The government has told villagers to halt backyard breeding, blamed for most of the human H5N1 infections in Turkey, a vast country which lies on the routes of migratory birds who are believed to be spreading the virus.

Officials said 932,000 birds had been slaughtered as of Monday afternoon, since the outbreak started late December in an area near Dogubeyazit.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan renewed warnings Tuesday over the dangers of backyard breeding and said the government was stepping up efforts to increase the people's awareness.

"Turkey's struggle against the disease has been successful so far and the current situation is not of a dimension that should cause citizens to worry," Erdogan said.

The virus has reached birds in the center and west of Turkey, including the capital Ankara, a touristic region on the Aegean coast, and the country's biggest city, Istanbul.

Scientists fear that the more the virus spreads, the greater the chance H5N1 will mutate into a form that is easily transmissible between humans, possibly sparking a global pandemic that could claim tens of millions of lives.

Turkish Agriculture Minister Mehdi Eker stressed the need for greater international cooperation in fighting the disease.

He complained that some countries, including neighbors of Turkey, were hiding the presence of the virus on their soil.

"This is a global problem... Countries with non-transparent regimes in particular are hiding the disease," Eker told NTV television Monday, ahead of his departure to China to attend the international bird flu gathering.

"Some countries around us, where we know that the disease exists, do not officially acknowledge that, either," he said.

Since reappearing in Southeast Asia in 2003, the virus has killed about 80 people and infected some 150 in six countries, according to a World Health Organization toll. Most the dead are in Vietnam.

MikeC":3pn05at9 said:
Turkey reports 21st human case of Bird Flu

Since reappearing in Southeast Asia in 2003, the virus has killed about 80 people and infected some 150 in six countries, according to a World Health Organization toll. Most the dead are in Vietnam.

Turkey has a population of 69,660,559 (this is according to the CIA)

so - 21 people have died -

I'll bet more than 21 people have died since Jan 1 2006 of regular influenza in just the US - but that isn't on the news every night -

now don't forget that a total of 150 people on the planet have had this illness - I can tell you of individual schools that have had more than 150 students sick on a single day

I'm sticking to my statement that the newsmen are trying to scare the &%$ out of everybody :mad:

Caustic Burno":22a6t2fl said:
farmer4620":22a6t2fl said:

Well check out the Spainish influenza of 1918 kill rate.
Good book talks about the plauges better have your ticket ready.

You got that right!!!

Interestingly, the age group that was hit the hardest in 1918 were the military! ;-)

Latest posts