Inflation

Help Support CattleToday:

Spotted Brahma

Reaction score
Just how much is inflation/devaluing the dollar driving the exhorbant prices of things today ? I think about this often and I feel like it is a much bigger reason for the shape we're in than the gov leads us to believe.

How much? Just look at how many gallons of gasoline you can buy with an ounce of gold today compared to what you could ten years ago and do the same with a dollar and that will pretty well give a close approximation. Its the same with stocks when you invest in a company and they print up more shares to give their top employees it just dilutes your holdings. Until this is fixed then the only good thing to own is something real and tangible unless you can convince others to join the pyramid. Of course I'm one of those paranoid people who decided was in my interest to cash out of most of my 401K and other paper investments six years ago and buy gold and dirt. Everyone thought me crazy so I guess I am. And from the looks of my ammo supply I'm paranoid too.

Jogeephus":1rbpq2lg said:
How much? Just look at how many gallons of gasoline you can buy with an ounce of gold today compared to what you could ten years ago and do the same with a dollar and that will pretty well give a close approximation. Its the same with stocks when you invest in a company and they print up more shares to give their top employees it just dilutes your holdings. Until this is fixed then the only good thing to own is something real and tangible unless you can convince others to join the pyramid. Of course I'm one of those paranoid people who decided was in my interest to cash out of most of my 401K and other paper investments six years ago and buy gold and dirt. Everyone thought me crazy so I guess I am. And from the looks of my ammo supply I'm paranoid too.

Dirt has been very good to me. And I'll never be hungry.

Jogeephus":3pno24l1 said:

i've seriously thought about doing the same thing but my wife thinks i'm crazy.
one thing i've thought of is if hyper inflation kicks in like some say then wouldn't it be better to buy on credit then pay for it with inflated dollars.
according to some a 1000.00 will be worth 100.00 of today's dollars so you could pay it off with pocket change
crazy ???

Spotted Brahma":2v1zz52v said:
Just how much is inflation/devaluing the dollar driving the exhorbant prices of things today ? I think about this often and I feel like it is a much bigger reason for the shape we're in than the gov leads us to believe.

You don't think he government would be less than truthful, do you? :lol:

Ryder":1xfjmkii said:
Spotted Brahma":1xfjmkii said:

You don't think he government would be less than truthful, do you? :lol:

Oh they have no credibility left in my oppinion, I was just wondering to what lengths are they lying about it.

Jogee pretty much nailed it. When I was listening to the debates three years ago hearing, "We're looking it to that but....." My interpretation was, "I really don't know."

Hence, I sort of did the same thing Jogee did. I rolled all stocks into interest accounts. For two weeks the stocks continued to climb and I was kicking myself. Then the bottom fell out. I should have bought more gold too. The dirt I have been buying is on the side.

It seems to me, with as much money as is being printed, inflation should be rocketing more than it is.

We are the consumers. We buy the products that come from elsewhere. Just take a look at the parking lots of the super centers. It is easy for me to point fingers at politicians but unless I demand different products, I am just as much to blame.

Our ancestors were a bit more innovative than I am. It makes me want to get back to simple things. I built those cedar chests for Christmas presents for my grandbabies. The thought was giving something home made. Or not running to the store and shelling out cash for toys. They are kids. They love toys. But years from now, they'll still have those chests.

When I buy clothes or anything else, I check the labels. I still buy things I really ought not be buying. Especially from countries that thumb their noses at me.

I did my best to stay away from my disdain for politics in this post. That is a hard thing to do.

Very good point Boogie, I too want to get back to living a much simpler lifestyle and I've started taking some of the nessecary steps. I also love the idea of giving home made gifts. It makes me smile to hear about those cedar chests.

Jogeephus":1jb48cad said:

I agree on a good ammo supply. The collapse of the government is as scary as the government.
Read about the collapse of the Argentine economy some time.

I bought 4 things this holiday season as gifts... a 1972 Marantz 2220B reciever, a 5 year old digital camera that I knew was pretty good (back then), and a 7 year old laptop which is identical to the 7 year old laptop I have and went through absolute hell when I worked on the road (it fell out of the bag several times onto an airport floor while running to catch a flight.. and survived), and lastly I bought a cheap GPS, which was the only new thing I bought ($70)....

My mother's mother said "You should get people useful stuff for christmas" to which my uncle (about 8 years old at the time) said "That's fine, but I'd REALLY like some useless stuff sometimes too"

Spotted Brahma":2dmt53ae said:

The government prints money to prop up markets, which eventually means the dollar is worth less.
So things priced in dollars (like oil) cost most,
and if we pay off debt it is with a devalued currency.

The question is what does the average person do about this? Investing in food production is one idea.

When you buy gold where do you hide it so the goverment can't find it?? The only people that can bail this country out are the one's with money in the bank or a good paper trail of their net worth. Online banking and bill paying is easy but not good if it gets bad. The less the goverment knows about you the better off you'll be in the long run I feel. Good Luck and Happy New Year.

Stocker Steve":j2rqx3oc said:
Spotted Brahma":j2rqx3oc said:

The government prints money to prop up markets, which eventually means the dollar is worth less.
So things priced in dollars (like oil) cost most,
and if we pay off debt it is with a devalued currency.

The question is what does the average person do about this? Investing in food production is one idea.

Live with in your means is what you do about it. I have a DIL alway's talking about extra dollar's I have never seen one with extra printed on it.
This is a circle and nothing changes when I was making $1.80 an hour gasoline cost .21 cents a gallon a can of skoal was .35 cents paying 75 dollar's a month rent. We don't need 50,000 dollar trucks, cell phones and cable tv, we are I want it now society and will hock the farm to pay for it. The biggest enemy this country has is debt in our personel lives to the government living beyond our mean's. The government has only two ways to raise money tax or print it.
Printing more just devalues the currency in circulation. I bet over half the people on this board are paying over a 100 bucks a month to tote a cell phone and another 100 for tv, that's just the tip of the iceberg.
It is not what you make it is how you manage what you have. Being my parent's were born in 1914 and lived through the depression I was raised with a different set of needs versus today's generation.
Stop spending them dollars on I want's and see how many you have at the end of the month.
Leave that debit card and checkbook at the house when you need or want something skin a froghide out of that wallet it will make you think twice. That being said I am tighter than a crabs ass and that is waterproof.

Just like the oldest grandson was here to do some deer hunting. I had been saving him a spot where I had been seeing some nice bucks, after 4 or 5 hunt's he said he hadn't seen anything. I told him to let me go set that spot hadn't been there an hour seen several. When I came out I went by the stand he was sitting in walked right up to it, he was busy playing a game on that dam phone. When he came out of the stand I ask if I could see that neat phone, he handed it to me and I threw it across the pasture. I told him I bet he could see a deer now. There is no way in he!! a 16 old boy needs a cell phone with internet access. He better hope he never has to live with me cause I dang sure wont pay that bill.

For these kids the PC is dead, they do it all with they're phone. For all us old guys that can't see and have fingers too big for the keypad, voice activated is already here and it's pretty good and will get better. You can complain about the phones and I do, but they are a part of the culture and are here to stay.

Larry

CB, I've listened to you preach on this for several years and there were some who knocked you for you realism. Personally, you were only echoing what my father beat into my thick skull. Definitely wasn't what I wanted to hear but he finally got it through my thick skull and now I'm thankful for what he taught me cause it has paid off in many ways. I view the banks and the government as obstacles. Sure you have to deal with them but neither are something you willingly go to if you don't have to. The debt mountain is something too many young people willingly climb. Its a slippery slope with ever shifting sands and you best know what you are doing before you hop on this hill.

:clap: well said Jogeephus. And the real irony is that those of us who are paranoid about debt and live somewhat simply/off of the land are the same people whose net worth shoots through the roof when inflation does hit while everyone who played the money game is upside-down.

looking at fuel prices in an excellent way to look at effects of inflation, according to most reports the government says we use about 338 million gallons per day (or about 8.05 million barrels per day), so everytime the price of gas goes up .50 we remove about $159 million of spendable income per day which directly affects all retail purchases, gas in Houston has gone upalmost $1.50 per gallon since the Biden regime came in, figure the costs, then look at diesel, we use about average of about 122 million gallons per day.(you can look this up on eia.gov), about 85% of the diesel is used for trucking so just in the trucking industry or about 103 millions per day for truckers for a resulting increase of about 50.5 million plus margin for trucking companies added to our costs for every .50 per gallon of increase. Diesel in Houston has increased almost $1.50 per gallon as well. Then look at what the increase does to all freight hauled and realize that every bite of food most people by is hauled in a truck more than once along with every stich of clothes and every appliance they use.

Last edited:
looking at fuel prices in an excellent way to look at effects of inflation, according to most reports the government says we use about 338 million gallons per day (or about 8.05 million barrels per day), so everytime the price of gas goes up we remove about $159 million of spendable income per day which directly affects all retail purchases, gas in Houston has gone upalmost $1.50 per gallon since the Biden regime came in, figure the costs, then look at diesel, we use about average of about 122 million gallons per day.(you can look this up on eia.gov), about 85% of the diesel is used for trucking so just in the trucking industry or about 103 millions per day for truckers for a resulting increase of about 50.5 million plus margin for trucking companies added to our costs for every .50 per gallon of increase. Diesel in Houston has increased almost $1.50 per gallon as well. Then look at what the increase does to all freight hauled and realize that every bite of food most people by is hauled in a truck more than once along with every stich of clothes and every appliance they use.
Everything rides on diesel.
That's why it's taxed higher as well. Hidden income tax.

We reached back to pull this one up. I'm 6 rental units up on this time frame. Net worth way up. Debt slightly down.

Jogee I'm still sitting on my bullion. No change there.

Latest posts