Inconsistancy at its best or worst.

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
Went to two shows two weeks running. Seen judging at it's worst. Same judge two weeks running. Murray Grey cattle that won at the first week didn't win at the second week. Exactly the same cattle,same breeders nothing had changed.My breed almost the same happened winners one week losers the next week with the same cattle. The person that judged was supposedly a good judge. I won't ever recommend him to come back to our show after his mess up between the two shows.
This judge had an associate which is a shame because what did he instill in this young persons knowledge base.

Australian Cattleman":10asiwey said:
Went to two shows two weeks running. Seen judging at it's worst. Same judge two weeks running. Murray Grey cattle that won at the first week didn't win at the second week. Exactly the same cattle,same breeders nothing had changed.My breed almost the same happened winners one week losers the next week with the same cattle. The person that judged was supposedly a good judge. I won't ever recommend him to come back to our show after his mess up between the two shows.
This judge had an associate which is a shame because what did he instill in this young persons knowledge base.

same thing i was talking about a while back when the judge knew me and screwed me.....little different because he had an associate but every show you go to big or small their will always be politics and everyone knows that......sometime you just have to try to make the best of it.

Same thing happened here. We had a "county pre-veiw" junior show. The same judge was at county fair a week later, placed the same cattle, same showmen(for showmanship) different order....funny how that happens..makes you think that they dont know what they are doin..

karlie45":26ajiuvj said:
Same thing happened here. We had a "county pre-veiw" junior show. The same judge was at county fair a week later, placed the same cattle, same showmen(for showmanship) different order....funny how that happens..makes you think that they dont know what they are doin..

Were the shows at the same facilities? Sometimes different lighting can change the appearance of animals.

L Weir":ijin90y2 said:
karlie45":ijin90y2 said:

Were the shows at the same facilities? Sometimes different lighting can change the appearance of animals.

And cattle can look better one week than they did the week before or vise-versa.

But I have seen cattle get rolled from one week to the next. Happens all the time.

I've seen it happen but understand that things can change. I have judged enough shows to know when judging you are giving your opinion for that class and on that day. tomorrow it can be totally different. I slapped one bull supreme over all breeds at one show and the a week later he could not make it out of his class at another show a week later with me judging. the owners brought him out expecting the same thing even though he had injured a foot . I made the comment at the previous show he moved like deer but this time he isn't moving and i don't know why. but i just can't place him up on that day. they were mad but i explained my reason for placing him down then they explained the bull was injured i asked why bring him out when they knew i was a stickler on walking and movement. Respone they though i would remember how he walked at the last fair. My response that was last week.

oh showing. we went to our local fair with a bueitiful cow/calf pair. they were champion limousin female. went out for supreme and was told the cow wasn't supreme because her calf had poor testicular development. duh it was a heifer calf.
the judge was a big mi state extension agent. go figure.

redrock":1x3hku7g said:
because her calf had poor testicular development. duh it was a heifer calf.
ohh dear..what is the world coming to? testicles on heifers...! :eek: :shock:

To others, yes it was the same facility, its the only one that we have..haha. I agree with the "animals look dif. one week to the next" but not THAT different. Anyway, he was a new judge that really wasnt even a judge..long story.

Latest posts