Incompetence

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
You know sometimes you just got to love when people are not able to do their job.
Yesterday I went to tractor supply to get some Durazyme calf starter paste.
The paste would not scan, and she couldn't find it in her scan book so she just said whatever and scanned a single $7 product.
So I got 2 syringes that are $18 each for $7 total.
It was funny I kept trying to tell her what it cost but she was adamant about finding it herself and then just gave up LOL.
You've got to love today's young'ns.

You know sometimes you just got to love when people are not able to do their job.
The paste would not scan, and she couldn't find it in her scan book so she just said whatever and scanned a single $7 product.
It was funny I kept trying to tell her what it cost but she was adamant about finding it herself and then just gave up LOL.
I work with 60+ year olds that do the same stuff. I look at them and wonder how they have lived so long.

I took two 5 gallon fuel jugs to the convenience store last weekend. Buying diesel at $3.99 and 9/10th. I forgot my billfold, so didn't have a way to pay at the pump. I went inside to pre-pay cash and told the young lady I wanted 10 gallons, and handed her two $20 bills. She was confused and told me that she could set the pump to stop at 10 gallons, but she wouldn't know how much to charge me until it stopped pumping??

I briefly attempted the math lesson ($3.99 x 10 gal= $39.99) and pretty sure I heard that "clink" an incandescent bulb makes when it's all over. So, I handed her the $40 and told her to keep the change.

The pump did not stop at 10 gallons, and I pumped about a dimes worth beyond my payment. Went back inside with some pennies and told her I went over because the pump didn't stop. She had set the pump to stop at 40 gallons and insisted I stopped to soon......"ya gotta wait'll stops!" (I was driving my 7.3 powerstroke, and I thought about it, but I didn't).

Amazes me when the total comes up to $26.33 (or whatever) and I hand the kid two twenties and two ones, and they have to use a computer to hand me a ten, a five, and 67 cents.

Even with less complicated math they can't count change without a machine to tell them what the difference is... and employers don't teach them.

I know many "older" people who can't count back change. I find it hard to come up with a total and NOT count back the proper amount.... I don't want a machine telling me the change to give, I want to count it back to the amount they gave me.
I worked at our local apple butter festival last weekend, and many paid with cards... the little sq thing that goes into the phone... but many paid with cash and the other woman was doing all the "ringing up" on her phone, using the sq. thing for the cards.. and when she got a TOTAL... I would count back the change to the people handing me cash. A couple times she told me the amount of change... and then I would get confused as I was already counting back the amount... so we agreed it was better for her to just tell me the total amount and I would do the cash. Also was restocking and bagging for customers etc. We did a big business too...never worked with her before but we did good once we got a rhythm going.
One person stood there as I counted back the change to "make their $40" and said, I cannot believe that there are still people who actually know how to do this nowadays. Thank you.

Good cash handling is almost a thing of the past.
What drives me absolutely bonkers is bills that are not faced correctly!
They should all be faced the same in the drawer and when u count back change they'll be faced accordingly.
Former Banker - that's my pet peeve!

My wife likes to give larger bills with exact change to get smaller bills back.

She has to give math lessons to most. People in line behind us usually get a kick out of it.

One cashier told her "we're not aloud to do that cuz the total at the end of the night totals will be off and we get in trouble when the money isnt there."

I took two 5 gallon fuel jugs to the convenience store last weekend. Buying diesel at $3.99 and 9/10th. I forgot my billfold, so didn't have a way to pay at the pump. I went inside to pre-pay cash and told the young lady I wanted 10 gallons, and handed her two $20 bills. She was confused and told me that she could set the pump to stop at 10 gallons, but she wouldn't know how much to charge me until it stopped pumping??

I briefly attempted the math lesson ($3.99 x 10 gal= $39.99) and pretty sure I heard that "clink" an incandescent bulb makes when it's all over. So, I handed her the $40 and told her to keep the change.

The pump did not stop at 10 gallons, and I pumped about a dimes worth beyond my payment. Went back inside with some pennies and told her I went over because the pump didn't stop. She had set the pump to stop at 40 gallons and insisted I stopped to soon......"ya gotta wait'll stops!" (I was driving my 7.3 powerstroke, and I thought about it, but I didn't).
Ya know, the way the cashier set that up, I suspect that the next person that pulled up to the pump might have gotten the rest of the disel (30 gallons) at no charge because you has paid for them with the $40.00 for 40 gallons on your sale. That is the really sad aspect of this.

Good cash handling is almost a thing of the past.
What drives me absolutely bonkers is bills that are not faced correctly!
They should all be faced the same in the drawer and when u count back change they'll be faced accordingly.
Wow! Someone else who pays attention to how bills are facing still! That really is a lost art. I reached the point that I am content if I just get back the correct change, and I always have to count it myself. It never gets counted back to me.

Amazes me when the total comes up to $26.33 (or whatever) and I hand the kid two twenties and two ones, and they have to use a computer to hand me a ten, a five, and 67 cents.

Even with less complicated math they can't count change without a machine to tell them what the difference is... and employers don't teach them.
The sad thing is, the employer usually doesn't know their self.

Wow! Someone else who pays attention to how bills are facing still! That really is a lost art. I reached the point that I am content if I just get back the correct change, and I always have to count it myself. It never gets counted back to me.
Every time.
And I feel like Otto too.
Grumbling the whole time I'm straightening it out and counting it to put in my wallet.

View attachment 36567View attachment 36568
Nothing like complicating something easy. It's frustrating to try and help someone understand this crap. My daughter is getting a grasp on basic math but when this junk pops up the confusion sets in.
Our good friends own Montessori private school here locally. It's not a religious school, but they do say a morning prayer and pledge of allegiance to our flag.
The kids learn how real life works !
They are taught how to lose gracefully, gardening, human relations, manners how to balance a checking account and of course regular old school teaching.
In this crazy azz world today it's awesome to see this dedication to do the right thing and not just follow the herd.

The ones that have come up with this "new math" which is so totally stupid, are the ones that are helping to put this country so deep in debt we will suffocate.... oh wait, we are already past the point of suffocating....
Seriously, this new math crap is so convoluted that it is a wonder the kids get any of it...

View attachment 36567View attachment 36568
Nothing like complicating something easy. It's frustrating to try and help someone understand this crap. My daughter is getting a grasp on basic math but when this junk pops up the confusion sets in.
That's a whole lot like adding on your fingers and toes.
Also, similar to using an abacus.

Both are antiquated and difficult procedures to use in real life.

Latest posts