In remembrance of.....

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score
The first thread to be locked in the "Coffee Shop" (in 2004). A moment of silence on this 12th anniversary of its inception/lockdown. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5072

Btw, upon reviewing just a few of the archives, there was clearly a time here when politics, religion and other notso PC topics were indulged. Some very 'informative' reading. :)

Women salespeople, 'o' rings and consultants are said to have ruined the oilpatch.
One day, historians will look back on this time and denounce it as the PC era that brought down a once great nation. :(

Once a redneck always a redneck. Some folks just can't discuss anything without calling that person out. That could be one of the main reason that this site is run the way it is. Calling out a belief or group or a way someone lives and acts is one thing. But to call out a person over the Internet is small and weak. IMO

True Grit Farms":2e11x2ws said:
Once a redneck always a redneck. Some folks just can't discuss anything without calling that person out. That could be one of the main reason that this site is run the way it is. Calling out a belief or group or a way someone lives and acts is one thing. But to call out a person over the Internet is small and weak. IMO
WOW, someone that gets it!

Really no point in making a personal attack on a forum. In my mind, it makes someone look like a wuss. Not tooting my own horn, but face to face, not many people would antagonize me. I just don't look like someone you would want to mess with. Truth is, I wouldn't hurt a flea, and almost never get mad.

If Alf hadn't said anything in that thread it would have been just fine... As long as the majority agrees it's no problem to put any minority down for any reason... I see it every day.. here.. still.

bball":2shxilun said:
The first thread to be locked in the "Coffee Shop" (in 2004). A moment of silence on this 12th anniversary of its inception/lockdown. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5072

Btw, upon reviewing just a few of the archives, there was clearly a time here when politics, religion and other notso PC topics were indulged. Some very 'informative' reading. :)

Many things happened in the past that are no longer tolerated anywhere. Get use to it. According to the owner of the board it's "No politics". I'm sure he has a reason. Respect his rules man and quit your bytchin.

Nesikep":2o97t1u5 said:
If Alf hadn't said anything in that thread it would have been just fine... As long as the majority agrees it's no problem to put any minority down for any reason... I see it every day.. here.. still.

Amen. :clap:

Bigfoot":3vvtlmnn said:
Really no point in making a personal attack on a forum. In my mind, it makes someone look like a wuss. Not tooting my own horn, but face to face, not many people would antagonize me. I just don't look like someone you would want to mess with. Truth is, I wouldn't hurt a flea, and almost never get mad.

I'm not a very intimidating kind of guy in person.. I don't try and make up for it on the internet though. I don't say anything here I wouldn't say in person.. and for the most part there's some things that are better left unsaid... nothing good can come of it.

TexasBred":35x5m5ki said:
bball":35x5m5ki said:

Many things happened in the past that are no longer tolerated anywhere. Get use to it.

Wow! Thank you so much for the deep thoughts. Very enlightening. :dunce:

According to the owner of the board it's "No politics". I'm sure he has a reason.

I am keenly aware of the rules...which is why I don't break them. I have yet to receive any pms for breaking any board rules (from the owner or any of the folks he trusts to moderate on his behalf)

Respect his rules man and quit your bytchin.

Again, I do respect the rules. I don't post politics or religion. I don't call folks names or even tell them how to behave (seeing as how it's not my job here on this board. I may have offered potential solutions to a poster or two if they felt they had an issue with a topic or post). As far as bytchin goes, well not sure where I bytched about anything. Just made an observation. There are atleast a dozen more posts I could have linked that were out and out politically or personally charged.(and that was only from the first few pages in the archives) Just found the growth and direction of this board very interesting. Especially as someone who wasn't here at its origins.

To be quite frank, the only reason I got started looking into past posts on this board is that there have been a few posts here lately from members that have been here a long time, but rarely post here anymore. They generally say things like, this board has changed from what it used to be or once was. So, being the curious sort, and being someone who appreciates an education from the 'ol timers, I started looking through the archives. Needless to say, I was pretty stunned at the post topics, and outright personal attacks. My original post was merely an observation. A comparison of the past to the present. It was really meant for anyone interested in seeing where this board started....and what it has evolved into.
Rest assured, if I have a bytch about this board, I will either pm it's owner (or his mods) or I will simply move on (just as quickly as I showed up).
But thanks for your concern, not so much for your misapplied advice though. :tiphat:

greybeard":3phqstw5 said:
Women salespeople, 'o' rings and consultants are said to have ruined the oilpatch.
One day, historians will look back on this time and denounce it as the PC era that brought down a once great nation. :(

Man, could not argue with this....even if I wanted to. You know where being PC really hurts a society? The reality of facts and truth become less important than feelings and emotion. When feelings and emotion rule, critical analysis and problem solving cease to operate. It's why critical thinking skills are dying a rather quick death in our society.

bball":1orvs6et said:
greybeard":1orvs6et said:

Man, could not argue with this....even if I wanted to. You know where being PC really hurts a society? The reality of facts and truth become less important than feelings and emotion. When feelings and emotion rule, critical analysis and problem solving cease to operate. It's why critical thinking skills are dying a rather quick death in our society.

I truly believe that I read an article the average American had an IQ of 110 in 1910
late last century it had slipped to 100 and now we are approaching 90 .
They described 89 as dull thinkers. You hit the nail on the head about critical analysis and problem solving. I still get called from time to time as I was a certified Root Cause Failure Analyst and instructor investigating refinery incidents it would blow your mind at some of the younger generations problem solving skills,
along with lower educational standards most communication skills are on the level of the Amazon Indian tribes math skills of one, two and many. There is a tribe way back up in the jungle that have no number for over two other than many in their language.
I seen we were headed for trouble thirty years ago I went back to take a refresher organic chemistry class and had to retake the standard entrance exam in a room full of freshly graduated HS students.
My reading level was grade 14 and the majority of the kids just out of HS were 7th and 8th grade,
that is how far our educational system had slipped.
My grammar skills where that of a howler monkey grammar might as well been Egyptian hieroglyphics as far as I was concerned.

I notice exactly the same things, and I'm still relatively young (I shouldn't be noticing this)...
I really notice it when troubleshooting something with other people.. One of my good friends is a master mechanic, and there are very few things he can't fix.. he is a RARE find. SO many people nowadays.. in the age of electronics, can't understand simple wiring diagrams and what would happen if a short/open circuit happened at various points in it.. even ELECTRICIANS.
I was hired to find out why an screw type air compressor would only charge to about 20 PSI.. so first order of business was to look at the pressure switch with a voltmeter.. no power.. so I fiddle around (up on a high platform) until I find out there's just no power up there at all except for the motor power.. I go to the breaker box and find the pressure switch supply wires dangling there.. they had NEVER been connected!.. I put them on one leg of the motor wires and away it went. I billed $100 for that and the shop owner apparently grimaced a little about it.. That's just fine, if he wants to hire inept guys to fail at fixing simple problems he's welcome to it.
It's always an easy fix if you know what's wrong!

greybeard":5by6hc5d said:

It's funny, at first I took PC to mean "personal computing" instead of "political correctness". I guess one could argue both. Before the internet if you had a problem with someone you had to take care of it in person.

As far as the dumbing down of America - they had an article on the news a few months back about how our kindergarten teachers are having trouble with kids because they can't draw or color as they don't have the skills to hold a crayon. All these kids can do is stare at a screen and swipe. Sad.

Latest posts