In pain, loose stool, and shuffling legs-Video Added

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
Any ideas? Steer was fine yesterday and difficult time picking up both back legs today. You can tell from looking in his eyes he is in pain. Sounds the same as HookNlines neighbor.[youtube]?v=akeZzhPH60Y[/youtube]

Wouldnt it be to quick for hardware? Maybe he got a hurt playing or pinched nerve or something. Maybe give him some Banamine for the pain and reduce swelling. Its an anti-inflammatory.

If he is an important to you steer, I think that I would get a veterinarian to look at him rather than wasting time.

Edited: If you live in Texas. Maybe even take him to TX A&M. They are very good with cattle.

The way he is acting is scary.

You should put your location where you are. It will affect how people reply.

He isn't any better today. I need to look up the withdrawal time for banimine. Will the pain from this make his meat taste bad from the stress? As far as if he is important to us, he is scheduled to "rest in pieces" in December....our family beef.

This is a very useful chart for withdrawal times. You can save it and print it:

http://www.nmpf.org/files/file/old_production/withdrawl_time_chart.pdf

Banamine is 4 days. If he is running a fever, he should not be harvested for human consumption. Did you give it IV or IM?

Cattle must not be slaughtered for human consumption within 4 days of the last treatment. Milk that has been taken during treatment and for 36 hours after the last treatment must not be used for food. Not for use in dry dairy cows. A withdrawal period has not been established for this product in preruminating calves. Do not use in calves to be processed for veal. Not for use in horses intended for food. Approved only for intravenous administration in cattle. Intramuscular administration has resulted in violative residues in the edible tissues of cattle sent to slaughter.

I can barely tell anything from the video - though it's a great shot of the gate.

From what I CAN see it looks similar to a spinal injury. I see them every couple of years in the bull pen where 10 bulls are constantly humping on each other. They walk like they have prickly feet and are are little drunk or tipsy. They don't like to get up. They walk "goofy". Sometimes the back is arched (like you might also see in hardware so I wouldn't discount that possibility).

If so - the one's I have have come around. One I eventually processed - but he kinda made it along ok as long as I kept him to himself and didn't let the other bulls at him. The other seemed to make a full recovery.

Good info chippie.
Stephanie, ask your vet if he would suggest a daily round of 7-10cc of dex instead. Id be tempted to just wait and see if he atarts to recover after a week or so away from the other animals. I don't know enough to say that one is better than another but there's no withdrawal. And if the steer has a fever don't bother butchering until awhile after the fevers gone.

We decided not to give him anything. Scours are gone and he appears to be in less pain. Actually moving around a little better. He still will not pick up his feet very high. Even a hump of dirt gives him trouble. He is a sorry steer and will only be ground into hamburger.Will call the processor and move up his appointment depending on how he is in the morning. Thank you for the replies.
[youtube]?v=kTpwVcsM4x0[/youtube]

Whoooo..........When I read the subject title, I thought you had found an old home video of me the morning after graduation :shock:

Latest posts