In need of some advice

Help Support CattleToday:

TnWI

Reaction score
I sold a calf to a woman last August, we both agreed the calf should stay on the momma til October, and at that point the momma would be taken to market, and the calf would go to its new home. In the mean time, this woman went in for gallbladder surgery and has been in and out of the hospital since then -- she contacted me once in early November to say thanks for keeping the calf, and ask that I keep it til around Thanksgiving so she can be strong enough to come get it. I, being the sap I am, said "sure, no problem". Well thats the last I have heard from her, and that calf is still in my pasture eating to its hearts content, and breaking fences. Through the town grapevine, I have found out she has been quite ill with pancreas issues, and unable to work, or tend to her home or kids. Their phone has been disconnected, so obviously they aren't doing well and are in need of money. My question is, since I am sending a black heifer to market, should I send this one too and send her money back to her? or do I keep it, and hope she shows up?

maybe you could go talk to the lady and tell her what the calf is doing to your place and ask her if she will sell him back to you.

if she refuses.. then you have to decide whether to continue watching over her calf or try to get her to ok the moving of the calf to another place.

good luck.

jt

I would sell it and send her back her money. I'm sure that calf is the least of her worries right now. She may also feel obligated to get the calf even though she has no interest in it anymore, you selling it and giving her money back may be a big relief.

Also if she still wants a calf real bad, you could assist in helping her locate another.

I tend to think the best thing to do is drive over and explain to her you can't keep the calf any longer and ask her what she wants you to do (return her money, sell it for her and charge her a handling fee, or deliver it to her and charge her a handling fee).

From past experiences, I've found open, honest communication brings about the best solutions and alleviates any possible hard feelings.

Good luck.

I agree with A6. I'm sure if you talk to her you can work something out acceptable to all.

Good luck & best regards

Brock

Find out how to get in touch with her and offer to give her money back or offer to sell the calf and have the auction send her the check or offer to deliver the calf to the place she would like it delivered to. Dont do anything with the calf until you talk to her, she paid for it, she owns it. She has had a rough time, as much as you can find it in your heart, treat the situation as you would hope to be treated if you were in her place. You will always sleep well when you do that.

i agree, i said this on the other post but i want to stress it. DO NOT sell the calf without talking to the lady first.

Don't sell the calf. If you have the money to give back to her take it with you when you go talk to her. Try to time this around the day before the sale. In case it puts you out of pocket. Everyone's guess is that she'll take the money. So make plans if she says she would like to keep it. A written agreement with a delivery date. Keep it simple and be compassionate.

IMO the buyer isn't able to go through with the deal because of her situation. I'd definately try to locate her and see where you stand. May have to return the money and let her know that you will always have animals available when she is able to handle the purchase.
Your reputation as a honest and straight forward producer is worth alot more than the time it will take to put this sale to rest. Satisfied coustomers tell 5-7 people, unhappy ones tell everyone who will listen.
DMc

If this was me I would talk to her. See if she still wants it, if not sell it. Take the money you get from the auction and give it all to her. Even if its more than she paid. From what it sounds like she is going through a very hard time. Any extra cash will help. Help her out shes having a hard time taking care of the kids. As stocky stated "treat the situation as you would hope to be treated" Its the right thing to do not to try and get a little more cash out of her and then charge her a handling fee :mad: thats just wrong. If you have any beef in the freezer take it to her. When she is all healthy she will come back and buy more calves. I like what Susie David said "Satisfied coustomers tell 5-7 people, unhappy ones tell everyone who will listen." But thats what i would do.

stocky":1hkleqqz said:
Find out how to get in touch with her and offer to give her money back or offer to sell the calf and have the auction send her the check or offer to deliver the calf to the place she would like it delivered to. Dont do anything with the calf until you talk to her, she paid for it, she owns it. She has had a rough time, as much as you can find it in your heart, treat the situation as you would hope to be treated if you were in her place. You will always sleep well when you do that.

As usual, pretty good advice from old stocky.

Latest posts