In heat twice in a week?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Anyone had a cow go into heat twice in a week. I pulled my calves off the cows for a couple days to jolt them into cycling. Some first calf heifers and some older. This 7 year old hereford was being mounted the day after, and the bull was making the goal. bull had her off for a day alone seperated. Now here 8 days later he has had her off doing the same. All of the cows that had the calves pulled did go into heat this week did so the plan worked but haven't seen a cow go twice before.

Bright Raven":39qzdnsd said:
Cystic???
If she is, you probably know, cystorelin, 2 mL.
Thanks for the tip! Not sure if she is but the symptom makes sense. Picked her up at a sale 3 months ago bred, she calved 2 months ago. I will have her checked out. Thanks!

If she comes back in and her cycles are irregular, then her ovaries are potentially cystic. It is a simple fix. A shot of cystorelin will eliminate the abnormal follicular development. 2 mL.

A cystic cow is also frequently involved in the other cow's estrus behavior - riding, stiffing, etc. They are sometimes referred to as nymphomaniac cows. The treatment is easy. No need to cull.

Have one cow which was with bull last year and saw him following her twice, 7 days apart. Haven't seen her inheat later. She'll calve soon. However, not sure which is her real due date. :? One is on 3rd of January, another on 11th of January. It looks that the last one is the real one, but will see once she calves.

Kind of strange, had another cow this week do the same. Maybe pulling the calves started hormones and got him going and then they went into full heat. Not sure but thinking about waiting 3o days and having them ultrasounded. 2 doing the same is making me wonder.

I'll often have them sort of coming on heat get followed by bull calves but then several days later come into full blown standing heat has happened with the late calvers when first come back on heat'

Ken