Imports of Breeding Animals

Help Support CattleToday:

US border still closed to live animals, basically if rule 2 opens it then you can get live breeding stock from canada. I look a the US chars and how many traces back to canadian blood, but if you want some canadian bloodlines the border is still open to semen and embryos. I suggest you go that way.

melanie":mpc0bbua said:
What about this rule 2?

Its in the hands of the White House attorneys now-- they have about 90 days to look it over and advise on it- and then send back to USDA- with their recommendations...No one knows how it will come out....

Right now is not the time for it to be coming out-- White House/USDA/FDA/Importers/Corporates are under a lot of heat from consumers/voters now about all the tainted food and hazardous products being allowed in....Congress will be in an uproar when they come back to session in Sept.....

Thanks for the informations.But when you say 90 days to give recommendation do you know how many days they look at it?

melanie":ee8camca said:
Thanks for the informations.But when you say 90 days to give recommendation do you know how many days they look at it?

I think they have to have it back to USDA with their recommendations for approval/disapproval/changes in 90 days...Then USDA has to decide if they want to go ahead with it, when and how to implement it...

I don't see the border opening happening before the first of the year--as there is a couple bills in Congress to hold it back for awhile-- and a lot of political pressure for USDA to re-examine/change the magic birthdate/age of being born after 1998, since so many POST feedbans/POST 1998's have shown up since they wrote the rule.....

Any way you look at it, it will be a political hot potato--especially since many of the other countries of the world (Japan, Korea) are currently not accepting OIE recommendations.....

I don't know what the politicians really think about it but last week again we had 2 phone calls from americans dairy farmers who look to buy replacement cattle.They know the borders are close but they told us the prices of replacement is so high then it would be nice to see it open to release a little bit of pressure on the market.
The funniest thing, is they asked us if we know somebody in the states where they could get a large number.

Latest posts