Importing Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

crcolas

Reaction score
In the US, we have a pretty limited list of cattle breeds, mainly the 2 dozen or so we are all so used to. I know that there are hundreds of other breeds of cattle worldwide, many that we just simply have never brought onto American soil. Does anyone here know of people recently importing new breeds of cattle into the States? If so, which breed(s)?

Here is a link to APHIS that has information on importing animals into the US (this includes live animals, semen and embryos), http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/porta...alth/sa_import_into_us/ct_animal_imports_home

Live animals are definitely more costly, importing semen and embryos would be easier. As with several of the bulls with the Composite Dairy Cattle Registry, the biggest problem has been with the Schmallenberg Virus which is in Europe. Some bulls have tested clean and have had semen imported into the US and Canada. The bulls are continually tested and when they test positive then their semen is no longer eligible to be imported into North America.

In years past it has been easier to import animals into Canada and then be able to bring them into the US.

There are many breeds all over the World, with that said, the first thought before importing live animals, semen or embryos would be to determine if a particular breed would offer genetics of importance or would the breed be a novelty.

Several African breeds and composites have been imported since 1990, while there was interest in these breeds since the 60's, political policies prevented most from being imported, though some early research was done by several universities prior to them actually being imported. While the Senepol was imported in 1977 from St Crux island where they were developed from a composite of African N'dama and British Red Poll cattle, the rest of the African breeds presently represented in the USA imported since 1990 are, Tuli, Mashona and the composite Bonsmara. There is interest in several other breeds by some larger ranchers, notably the Boran and Dragensberger which might come via Australia as they are already represented there. These breeds are showing a steady increase, but fortunately not proving to be fad breeds, more seedstock producers are needed as sales of bulls for crossbreeding exceed present demand.

AllForage":181hj9kc said:
There are enough breeds here to suit whatever your needs are.
That's my thought as well... WHY? and that's coming from me, who is the self appointed king of searching out the best genetics of niche breeds and calculating where they could possibly fit into my program. Most of them can't and even if they do I still have to convince the guys(and one gal) that buy my calves that they work and that's the rub.