Importation of Calf into the U.S.

Help Support CattleToday:

Lorenzo Quintero

Reaction score
I have a few questions, to see who can help me. I am iterested in the importation of calf into the U.S. via Texas. My questions are where would I sell them? How do the pricing system work? Does the businness work? Any answers to my questions please reply. :D :D [/b]

First and foremost of any importation of cattle into Texas they must be cleared by the Texas Animal Health Commission of any targeted diseases, especially TB & Brucellosis. Probably the same requirements for USA in general. Including the BSE issues and other things. Additionally, other States have their requirements also.

There may also be some quarantine issues also to deal with.

Assuming they pass the health check and are otherwise of good temperament, conformation, etc., then whatever the breed is would determine where one could best sell them.

Getting them across the border is probably the main concern. They will have to be quarantined and proven free of Brucellosis, Tuberculosis, no ticks, no lice, etc. I've heard of whole potloads of cattle being held up because one cow had a dead tick still attached. They're just doing a good job to protect US cattle, cattlemen, and beef consumers. Once across the border, you could probably sell them just about anywhere you wanted to. If they were going to ship to another state, you would need whatever "Health Certificates" may be necessary. Probably any South Texas cattle veterinarian would be able to help you with this. If you have a buyer already located in the US, he/she can help arrange all of this as well as transportation.

Latest posts