Implants (sp)

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHH

Reaction score
How much better if any do the steers do that are implanted? Been thinking about it but dont know the pros and cons. Seems some people around here do heifers to but never replacement heifers is what I have been told.JHH
Dont know if I spelled implants right?

I've posed a question similar to this one a while back and it didn't seem like implants were very popular among the people on the board. I think that if you are in the business of putting weight on them and you sell by the pound then every little bit helps.

I have never used them on my families cattle but I have implanted some for others and it was easy once you got the hang of it and from what I have researched it pretty inexpensive per head.

Seems like in feeder cattle, estrogenic growth promoting implants improve feed efficiency and gain by something like 5-15% but don't quote my on that, those numbers just popped into my head.

Maybe someone will educate the both of us on this subject.

J":21tse1aq said:
I have never used them on my families cattle but I have implanted some for others and it was easy once you got the hang of it and from what I have researched it pretty inexpensive per head.

I'm curious about this statement. Does this mean that you have never used implants on the cattle your family raised or does it mean that you have never used implants on the cattle your family eats?

msscamp":giqcbcdi said:
J":giqcbcdi said:

I'm curious about this statement. Does this mean that you have never used implants on the cattle your family raised or does it mean that you have never used implants on the cattle your family eats?

We never implanted any of "our" (my grandfathers) cattle. I don't remember him ever even talking about implants. He passed away when I was young and evryone knows after they are gone you wish that you would have paid closer attention to what they said. I don't know that he was opposed to them but now his cattle are long since gone and I am starting my own herd.

I have worked for people that did implant and that was how I was introduced to it.

Like I said if you are in the business of putting weight on them then every little bit helps. Not saying everybody should do it but I would think if they are harmful then they wouldn't be allowed. Thats why I asked my question on the subject when I first came to these boards, hoping that I would get good reasons to or not to use them.

So far my opinion has not been changed by anyones experiences with them. If it adds weight but affects tenderness and taste or something to that nature then maybe I'll look at it differently.

Texan":1x35est8 said:

What's that supposed to mean?

Was there something negative about implants in that link?

I briefly looked at it but it pretty much looked like the rest of the info I have found about implants. I know that the fact sheets I find are promoting implants and there will probably be nothing negative about them so that is why I am asking people that might have used them.

Your comment was of not help, I would like experiences/opinions.

Thanks though...

I've said it before and I'll say it again.... I implant EVERY bull born on the place when I cut them. It only cost about $1 per head plus a few seconds time. I've already got them on the ground, it only takes a few seconds to implant them once you get the hang of it. I will admit, it took me a little bit to get the hang of using the implant gun but I've seen a difference. The 1st set we implanted, I implanted 1/2 and left 1/2 without implants and the implanted set outweighted the non-implanted set. If was in no way scientific but there are plenty of published reports on the internet that are scientific enough to make it well worth the effort in terms of lbs gained. Proper nutrition is key though!

J":2ocoj47d said:
Texan":2ocoj47d said:

I briefly looked at it but it pretty much looked like the rest of the info I have found about implants. I know that the fact sheets I find are promoting implants and there will probably be nothing negative about them so that is why I am asking people that might have used them.

Thanks though...

J if you ask for someone to share don't bite the hand.
That was a good gateway(although a couple of the links are dead) on the subject of implants. THANKS Texan! Since you also asked for personal experience. I have used them. And yes they will give you a good ROI. I do not now or plan to in the future. The market I want pays a little more for me to do a little less. :)

dj":1sr312z1 said:
J":1sr312z1 said:
Texan":1sr312z1 said:

Thanks though...

J if you ask for someone to share don't bite the hand.
That was a good gateway(although a couple of the links are dead) on the subject of implants. THANKS Texan! Since you also asked for personal experience. I have used them. And yes they will give you a good ROI. I do not now or plan to in the future. The market I want pays a little more for me to do a little less. :)

Sorry you read it that way, :( I wasn't trying to bite the hand I just didn't understand TEXAN's position.

sidney411":3foyilce said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again.... I implant EVERY bull born on the place when I cut them. It only cost about $1 per head plus a few seconds time. I've already got them on the ground, it only takes a few seconds to implant them once you get the hang of it. I will admit, it took me a little bit to get the hang of using the implant gun but I've seen a difference. The 1st set we implanted, I implanted 1/2 and left 1/2 without implants and the implanted set outweighted the non-implanted set. If was in no way scientific but there are plenty of published reports on the internet that are scientific enough to make it well worth the effort in terms of lbs gained. Proper nutrition is key though!
Thank you sidney411. I am always willing to learn especially when it comes from real life experiences. I dont' know that I will implant any just trying to get a grip on as many aspects of the business as possible. :)

How you market should be one of the considerations given. If you direct market your cattle to consumers, many do not want implants used. If you sell either directly or indirectly to major packing plants, you are leaving money on the table by not implanting.

I implant all or ours whether they are headed for the freezer or to IBP. Before I started implanting I read as much info as I could find on implant use. What I found was that there is nothing unheathly about using them. The main reasons some people don't want them in their food is they don't understand them or they have a fear of the unknown.

They definitely improve weight gain, and although some tests have shown there could be a decrease in tenderness, it is very minimal.

Check out this link:

http://tcebookstore.org/tmppdfs/8086758-L2291.pdf

Texas Cooperative Extension has done tons of research on implanting vs leaving them as bulls. Here's the opening quote:

"Of all the management practices available to cow/calf and stocker cattle producers, implanting suckling calves and stocker cattle offers one of the highest benefit-to-cost ratios."

And as far as those people who say if ain't natural - they're wrong. We're just giving them the hormones they normally produce when they are bulls.

Dusty Britches":1odscpyn said:
Check out this link:

http://tcebookstore.org/tmppdfs/8086758-L2291.pdf

Texas Cooperative Extension has done tons of research on implanting vs leaving them as bulls. Here's the opening quote:

"Of all the management practices available to cow/calf and stocker cattle producers, implanting suckling calves and stocker cattle offers one of the highest benefit-to-cost ratios."

And as far as those people who say if ain't natural - they're wrong. We're just giving them the hormones they normally produce when they are bulls.

Thanks Dusty Britches, That just confirms the info I have found in my research. :D

what are the benefits of steering a calf as to letting it be a bull? and at how many pounds is the best time to sell?

Sounds like I stirred up a hornets nest sorry. :oops: I havent done any research yet been to busy. Do you put pellet in both ears or just one? JHH

J":39ei1y8u said:
That just confirms the info I have found in my research. :D

You might want to research the affect implants have on marbeling

dun

dun":24f4sd2v said:
J":24f4sd2v said:
That just confirms the info I have found in my research. :D

You might want to research the affect implants have on marbeling

dun

I'll look into that dun, nice kitty you got there too... :) :D

J":3nlxg5dq said:
msscamp":3nlxg5dq said:
J":3nlxg5dq said:

We never implanted any of "our" (my grandfathers) cattle. I don't remember him ever even talking about implants. He passed away when I was young and evryone knows after they are gone you wish that you would have paid closer attention to what they said. I don't know that he was opposed to them but now his cattle are long since gone and I am starting my own herd.

I have worked for people that did implant and that was how I was introduced to it.

Like I said if you are in the business of putting weight on them then every little bit helps. Not saying everybody should do it but I would think if they are harmful then they wouldn't be allowed. Thats why I asked my question on the subject when I first came to these boards, hoping that I would get good reasons to or not to use them.

So far my opinion has not been changed by anyones experiences with them. If it adds weight but affects tenderness and taste or something to that nature then maybe I'll look at it differently.

I thought that was what you were saying, but was not sure so I asked. We don't implant either, never have, never will.

msscamp":27m8deeo said:
J":27m8deeo said:
msscamp":27m8deeo said:
J":27m8deeo said:

I thought that was what you were saying, but was not sure so I asked. We don't implant either, never have, never will.

Why not, just asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.