implanting calves

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Anyone on here implant suckling calves up to 400 lbs. with Synovex C? If so what kind of results were you getting and were you happy with them?

Trying to decide if it's worth it for us or not.

I have never use Synovex C but I have used Ralgro. I have been thinking about switching to Synovex as I have heard of better results with that product. It will make about 10 to 30 pounds difference in your calves and it only cost a little over a dollar per calf. If you are not selling into a market that rewards natural calves then not doing it leaves money on the table. Some natural calf markets pay enough to more than make up the difference so it really depends on your market.

Ive never implanted before and was wondering if one brand was better than the rest.
Will be implanting calves still sucking.

Used Synovex-C 25 years ago, when it was the only implant on the market with label approval for heifers intended for retention as breeding replacements. Couldn't tell - but I didn't have scales - that it did anything more than Ralgro.
I don't currently implant any heifer that I have any thoughts about keeping for breeding stock, but I'm not convinced that a single implant of Synovex-C or Ralgro really has any detrimental effect on future reproductive performance. Many folks recommend against it, but I don't think that scientific investigation showed any ill effects - and plenty of studies showed increased pelvic areas(easier calving?) in implanted heifers.

I have used it in the past not sure if it improved growth or not. This past summer my neighbor and myself bought some lightweight heifers the same day, we fed the same feed and comparable hay. My daily was a little better than his. It would not take much gain to pay for it.

Here's one:
http://jas.fass.org/content/72/2/292

I suspect increased pelvic area may be due to increased growth overall - and perhaps due to estrogenic influence, if you're using an implant that does have 'estrogenic activity'. With some of the implants(like Ralgro), the active ingredient exerts its effect by stimulating the calf's own pituitary gland to release more naturally-occurring growth hormone.

Most studies I've seen showed increased pelvic area at yearling/breeding age for once-implanted heifers, but the difference was negligible by calving - though some have shown a decrease in calving difficulty in implanted heifers compared to non-implanted heifers.
A number of studies do show decreased fertility/ovulation at first estrus, but no long-term adverse effects on overall fertility over the life of the heifer/cow.

I implant EVERY steer here, but I don't implant heifers(anymore) if I'm planning to keep them as replacements.

Lucky_P":61cy06ce said:
Most studies I've seen showed increased pelvic area at yearling/breeding age for once-implanted heifers, but the difference was negligible by calving - though some have shown a decrease in calving difficulty in implanted heifers compared to non-implanted heifers.
A number of studies do show decreased fertility/ovulation at first estrus, but no long-term adverse effects on overall fertility over the life of the heifer/cow.

I implant EVERY steer here, but I don't implant heifers(anymore) if I'm planning to keep them as replacements.

Decreasing calving difficulty and increasing weight sounds good... How big is the first estrus fertility issue?

I have always implanted all our calves- heifers and steers once with Ralgro.
Heifers we keep for replacements were not re-implanted at weaning, but
all others plus bought stockers are implanted. I understand that the implant
works for about 100 days. Is this correct?

My breed-up on replacements has always been pretty good so I have not
seen any problems with the implants.

Lane

Latest posts