Impacted Gut

Help Support CattleToday:

Cibster

Reaction score
Neighbor has a bull that wasn't doing to well. Had his vet look at it and the vet said it has an impacted gut. Does anybody have any experience with a beef animal that hasn't gotten an impacted gut? I've never dealt with it. This bull is still eating and drinking, but he hasn't been able to get him up on his feet the last 2 or 3 days. Just curious what the chances are of this bull getting better or even back up on it's feet to haul him to the sale barn. Vet didn't sound real hopeful so I'm not either, but just wondered if any of you have dealt with this kind of deal. Thanks!

He said all the vet did was give him a shot of banamine and told him to keep him fed with plenty of water and keep trying to get him up on his feet.

I know someone once said to use Magnalax or MVT powder mixed in 2 gallons of warm water to help with possible impactions- it is Milk of Magnesia sold for vetrinary purposes. May need to tube him if possible. Maybe ask the vet about it?
http://www.drugs.com/vet/magnalax-powder.html

Here is some info from merck, guess it depends on where the impaction is, what stomach:
"Treatment:
The challenge is to recognize the cases that will respond to treatment and those that will not, ie, to determine those that should be slaughtered immediately for salvage. Cows that are weak, have a severely impacted abomasum, and have a marked tachycardia (100-120 bpm) are poor treatment risks. In cows that are treated, the metabolic alkalosis, hypochloremia, hypokalemia, and dehydration should be corrected. Lubricants and cathartics can be used in an attempt to move the impacted material, or the abomasum should be emptied surgically. Balanced electrolyte solutions are infused IV continuously for up to 72 hr at a daily rate of 80-120 mL/kg. Some cows respond well to this therapy and begin ruminating and passing feces in 48 hr.
Mineral oil can be administered at 4L/day for 3 days. Alternatively, dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate (DSS) can be given by stomach tube at 120-180 mL of a 25% solution for a 1,000-lb (450-kg) animal mixed with ~20 L of warm water and repeated daily for 3-5 days. This dose rate will kill rumen protozoa. Mineral oil and DSS should not be administered simultaneously because DSS may potentiate the absorption of mineral oil. A beneficial response cannot be expected in <24 hr; in cattle that respond, improvement is usually seen by the end of day 3 after treatment begins. "

Jenna

I got lucky with the mineral oil and water treatment on one that had gone down once.

fitz

Don't feed him hay, feed him green grass, even if you have to pull it up by hand by the side of the road.

Just talked to my neighbor. The bull died this morning. Said he wouldn't drink water the last few days. Bummer deal.