I'm Stumped (Calf Update)

Help Support CattleToday:

Cheyenne

Reaction score
I had posted before about buying our first calf 2 weeks ago. We have been battling what the vet says is pneumonia for the last week and a half approx. I thought we were going to lose him last night. Fever 105.9, heavy breathing, no runny nose, lungs didn't sound wet. I gave the shot of Baytril the vet gave us. We had already decided on Sunday when he went down on us if he did it again, that was it.

Well I get up this morning expecting the worst, but he is sitting up, had changed positions on his own, temp was normal, breathing was still a little heavy but much better. He did refuse the bottle so I tubed some electrolytes into him and will feed milk replacer shortly. No scours, poop is yellow but solid.

Vet was thinking that he is a BVD PI Calf and we are testing him on Monday along with some early Vacs since we have no idea about his start in life. I was just wondering if anyone else had seen something similar to this or had a calf come back from the edge on their own and go on normally. Husband is concerned about his future as far as production and his eventual slaughter. Is he going to continue to get sick often ect. We are to the point that other than supportive care and probably another couple of doses of antibiotics, he is on his own with mother nature. Vet doesn't seem to have any real answers other than pneumonia or possible BVD.

I know most of you would have culled him by now, but remember we are not producers at this point and he is a 4-H project. He is almost to the limit were he would not earn his keep if he doesn't get better soon. But if he is willing to fight this and has enough fight left in him I am not quite ready to give up yet.

Thanks again for all your past and present help.

Good to hear he is gettin better. I had a new calf last week that was looking pretty down and out too but with different symptoms. After using the advice of the people on these boards (tubed electrolytes, 2 Sustain III's, and a shot of Nuflor, and some good ol Pepto Bismol) and he was good as new in the morning. So keep your hopes up, he may bounce back yet. But do keep in mind that no matter how hard you try, you will lose a fair percentage of baby calves.

I'm new to this too so I'm not trying to be the know-it-all but it should help your success rate if you can find a good dairyman or woman around and buy your calves straight off the farm.

Best of Luck!

My husband just called me and he found the poor little guy dead when he went out to check on him before going to work. Decided not to have the vet post him as that might be just a little too upsetting to our son at this time. So won't know what was really wrong.

Thank you to everyone for all the support and advice that was given. I am sure I will be back with questions about the next one at some point. Life goes on and so shall we.

Without going back to your other posts, I am not sure if this is the only calf or cow that you had. If it was, don't give up, just try to find another calf that is healthy. I am sorry to hear that your other calf died. The next one will be more fun. Your son will learn a lot too. I always thought responsibility of animals is very good for children. Parents usually have to monitor at first, but the children usually enjoy the experience.

"Max" was our first and only calf. He was purchased as a bottle calf project for our son for 4-H. We are going to try to get a small herd going eventually. After we get done with this 4-H year I am not sure I really want anymore bottle calves, at least not on purpose. It was/will be an awesome experience for all of us.

Thanks again.

Something fun for the youngsters is to get a healty calf that is started on grain. The kids learn the commitment of raising a calf without to much of a chore for them.

I don't know where you got the calf, but I would never buy anything that was under a month old unless I knew the person that was selling it to me. If those young calves don't get colostrum in the first few hours, they seem to have problems with their immune system. I think allowing a month kind of makes sure that the weak ones that didn't get their colostrum die off at someone else's place. That's just my opinion. I wish you better luck on the next one.

Cattle Rack Rancher":245gr84a said:
I don't know where you got the calf, but I would never buy anything that was under a month old unless I knew the person that was selling it to me. If those young calves don't get colostrum in the first few hours, they seem to have problems with their immune system. I think allowing a month kind of makes sure that the weak ones that didn't get their colostrum die off at someone else's place. That's just my opinion. I wish you better luck on the next one.

I agree 100%! Once a calf is a month old he/she should have his health in place. To get a few day old calf is an extremely risky proposition. By a month old, they are eating solids on their own and drinking very well...still, they need milk to supplement.

"Bottle Calves" are most likely those culled from the herd (aka holstein bulls, or other holstein heifers, etc.). Unless, however, the dam rejected the calf for some reason and it needed "people care" to survive.

As far as a kid's 4H project is concerned, to expect any young kid to bottle feed it as often as it needs, is asking a lot.

P.S.: Kids don't "learn" responsibility by taking on more than they can normally handle for their age... responsibility comes from maturity, example set by others, etc. JMO.

Not beatin up a kids project but your asking a lot out of the kid and calf'
Calf's rumen hasn't developed for 21 days bottle calfs that survive and grow into productive cows are tough at best.

I agree with CRR a month old is one thing. I would have to revaluate a project for kids that success is questionable at best and suffering for a calf . I'm hardcore when it comes to cattle but I will not see one suffer.

Aint right in my book.

Yep, beginners stupidity on my part and I am feeling pretty bad about it right now, for both my son and the calf. I have learned a valuable lesson and know better for the future. As far as the responsibilities placed on my son, they are shared. This is not his project alone and he is not solely responsible for the care of the animals. I don't know how other family's do this type of project, but it is supposed to be a learning/mentoring type of project so the kids learn from someone the duties, responsibilities and ethics of raising livestock. I started out totally wrong on this one and we have all learned a valuable lesson.

Thanks to you all for your advice and I will remember it when I am looking at future stock. I am glad that I found this board it has been an invaluable asset.

There is one more reason a bottle calf shows up at a sale barn. The majority of them at our sale barn show up as cow/calf pairs but get split and sold separately. Don't ask me why but they bring more money when split. Some of the others get split because momma goes in the weigh cow pen and baby goes to the bottle pen. In those cases the seller is doing everyone a favor because he knows the cow has problems. He keeps her from being someone elses headache and he knows he doesn't want a bottle calf of his own. If you REALLY look the calf over you can do well at a salebarn.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
I am sure your calf is in cattle heaven sucking from a bottle the size of a volkswagon, and having a great ol' time with all of the other billions of calves that didn't make it into adulthood. :cry:

Better luck to you next go round. It happens. :cboy:

i buy most of my cattle from a sales barn. anytime i buy a baby calf, whether it is in a cow-calf pair or to put on a bottle, i give it 5 cc's of baytril before i unload it at home. they have been in the presence of alot of diseases. you would be better off to buy a calf from a local farmer, it wont have been in the sales barn environment.
if you buy one at the sales barn, the safest thing is to buy one that is being split from its mother and is 2 months old, that way you wont have to feed it milk. the problem with that right now is the investment---that calf will cost 300 - 400 dollars now.
find a dairy farm and buy a holstein bull calf fresh from them and you will have the best chance for a healthy calf that is affordable.
if you want one to keep for a cow, go to the sales barn and when they split an old cow with a small heifer calf, buy that calf if it is the kind you want.
one thing i always have to remember when i cant seem to save a calf is what i was told when i was a kid-----some calves are just born to die-----sounds cold, but sometimes, no matter what you do, the calf doesnt make it----not always your fault.

Latest posts