I'm sorta, kinda excited . . . maybe . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
We're going through our AI synch now, and were looking for a little local help running gates. Central Washington Univ. has a pre-vet program and a pre-vet club, and they seem interested in coming out to do some of the grunt work and learn something. Talked to one of the program coordinators, and maybe they'll tackle a project from start to finish -- starting now: Sunday, we did the cidrs/implants; tomorrow pull cidrs; lutalyce on Saturday and castrate a couple bull calves; AI on Monday. Blood testing for preg in 30 days and re-synch/breed again later if needed. Said "watch only" if they hadn't worked a chute or gate before. Students can visit w/ our AI guy. Vaccinations 60 days post-breeding; they can come out then, too. Maybe students will follow through with data to delivery and birthweights. Might be kinda fun. Will keep you posted.

Yep. It was pretty short notice to get the college kids out here today, since I didn't talk to any of the college folks until last night. Went very smooth today running the girls through for Lutalyce. (Again, can't say enough for a cattle handling system that works!) Tomorrow we'll pull the cidrs and band a couple of bull calves. A couple of the college kids may show up for that. Since 100% conception on AI first time isn't likely, we'll probably start this over again soon. The team leader for the college kids would like to see one kid "adopt" one cow, and follow through to delivery. Yes, Cross_7, I think it'll be fun working w/ them.

It's not often that get spend time with like minded people, but when I do I make the most of it.
You may not realize it but your doing your part for the next generation

Am I understanding that you gave lute today fri and pulling cidrs on sat ive always done both at the same time what protocol are you using?
If you will put an estrotect patch on them around day 17 it may save you from syncing them again then you can breed on natural heat if your tech can do that.

bse":3q48eo5u said:
Am I understanding that you gave lute today fri and pulling cidrs on sat ive always done both at the same time what protocol are you using?
If you will put an estrotect patch on them around day 17 it may save you from syncing them again then you can breed on natural heat if your tech can do that.
BSE, I thought we did the lute and pulled cidrs on same day last time, but honestly don't remember. I'll ask the AI guy about your suggestion.

http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedi ... _575_W.pdf

Above is a link to a good publication I've been reviewing for our first AI. Sounds we are are using a similar protocol. We are pulling the CIDRS the same day as the Lute.
I have a question about the length of time you left your CIDRs in. We put ours in last Sat am and will take them out this Sat am. Looks like yours were in a day less? Will have to ask our tech is there's an optimal time. Thanks and good luck!

Boondocks, we (AI guy and we) pay attention to the timing. We've been working generally at 5:00 p.m., but we were 1-1/2 hrs. late this evening w/ insemination. On 9/22 we implanted cidrs; on 9/27 we did lute; pulled cidrs on 9/28; we AI'd tonight, 9/30.

And by the way, never saw a college kid through the whole deal -- maybe that's because our weather forecast was bad for each and every day, but we somehow managed to sneak the synch in between bad bouts. Just got lucky. We had snow above us today.

Kathie, your AI protacal is a little different than what I use, but close. I pull CIDr's and Lute at the same time also, they also get two shots of a GnRH also in our protocol. Not saying you guys aren't using a good protocol just saying it's a little different. But I only get about a 60% success rate AI and let the clean up bull take care of the rest.

I would be curious to know what you success rate is at the time of your first preg ck. using this protocol.

If its the 5 day it also calls for 2 rounds of lute first when pulling the cidr and again 6 to 10 hours later, ive tried the 5 day I didn't like it an extra time through the chute and I didn't have good response plus the cost of another shot of lute. I guess if your trying to move up 2 days it may be a good thing.

I did the 7 day protocol. Inserted CIDR and gave the GrHN on a Thursday. Pulled the CIDR and gave a lute the following Thursday at 10:00 AM (probably started at 9:30 and done by 10:30). Timed to AI at 2:00 PM on Saturday (actually started breeding around 1:30 and done a little after 3:00). We had a 69% conception rate on 61 head.

Sounds like fun! We got to do practically zero hands-on cattle stuff in college, besides the AI class. Texas A&M. Animal Science. Beef Production class. I hope those kids don't take the opportunity for granted. Kudos to you for giving it to them!

ricebeltrancher":2d2ihi7m said:
Sounds like fun! We got to do practically zero hands-on cattle stuff in college, besides the AI class. Texas A&M. Animal Science. Beef Production class. I hope those kids don't take the opportunity for granted. Kudos to you for giving it to them!
Thank you, ricebeltrancher! Still have not had one of those college students out here. We had crappy weather and I think that set them off -- but were lucky to get a break in the weather as we worked.

:help: :help: I've never AI'd a cow,never seen it done[other than on internet video's]I'm going to try it on 2 Dexters,[1 cow,1 heifer] and a Holstein heifer.Going to use the CIDR's to get them in sync.

? is what does GrNH and lute stand for? How much do I give them? Where do I get it?

Thanks for ALL help.

John Anderson":xnm7q2i4 said:
:help: :help: I've never AI'd a cow,never seen it done[other than on internet video's]I'm going to try it on 2 Dexters,[1 cow,1 heifer] and a Holstein heifer.Going to use the CIDR's to get them in sync.

? is what does GrNH and lute stand for? How much do I give them? Where do I get it?

Thanks for ALL help.
Good luck with the Ai if you don't even know what the terms are

dun,Thanks for the links.I know whats what now.

Hook Thank you.I'll get it done,never have been one to give up.I ordered enough straws to do it twice anyway.I use to drink bad till I figured out it cost money,wives,and kids,causes legal and family problems,and will land you in jail on occasions. People said I couldn't quit for 1 month.Been sober 24 years and 9 days.

John Anderson":2ilf7vxo said:
dun,Thanks for the links.I know whats what now.

Hook Thank you.I'll get it done,never have been one to give up.I ordered enough straws to do it twice anyway.I use to drink bad till I figured out it cost money,wives,and kids,causes legal and family problems,and will land you in jail on occasions. People said I couldn't quit for 1 month.Been sober 24 years and 9 days.
Do yo already have the necesarry equipment? Where are you storing the semen. GnRH and Lute you get from the vet.

I have an AI kit ordered.Semen is stored at Genex in Fort Payne,Al.Got a local vet that can help with the GnRH and lute shots.I'm using semen off a mini Jersey bull from Ga.and hoping all the calves come brindle striped like the bull.

John Anderson":2jvng5sd said:

Thanks for ALL help.
You need to talk to your vet (1) to find out what they are/how they work, and (2) to get Rx for it. Here, we can't buy either off the shelf.