I'm out!

Help Support CattleToday:

Todd 02

Reaction score
Hired a crew to come haul my herd off to the sale this morning. Things are bad here in Texas this year and I just couldn't keep going any longer. It was a tough decision, but the best one I could make for my wife and I - and for the cattle. $100 a day to hay 'em was just too much.

When it rains again, we'll buy back in. I've learned a lot in the last 6 1/2 years and I don't intend to let that go to waste. I'm already making plans for the future. Until then, we'll put the money in safe keeping and work on pasture improvement and equipment.

Best wishes to those of you who decide to keep going.

Its a bad situation all around ... looks like we have some rain and possible tropical storm on the way... I'm pulling calves this week and hoping for rain ... good luck let us know how they do at the sale.

Todd 02":1jkwm93f said:
Hired a crew to come haul my herd off to the sale this morning. Things are bad here in Texas this year and I just couldn't keep going any longer. It was a tough decision, but the best one I could make for my wife and I - and for the cattle. $100 a day to hay 'em was just too much.

When it rains again, we'll buy back in. I've learned a lot in the last 6 1/2 years and I don't intend to let that go to waste. I'm already making plans for the future. Until then, we'll put the money in safe keeping and work on pasture improvement and equipment.

Man I hate to hear that but I totally understand.
I pulled the last of my calves like JSC (spaceman) have one bull calf in the lot left to deliver.
I got lucky that I had started downsizing a couple of years ago.
Now talk about need your head examined I bought some heifers yesterday 3/4 Hereford 1/8 Brimmer 1/8 Char.
I am just to stupid to quit.

Caustic Burno":131jifuu said:
Todd 02":131jifuu said:

Man I hate to hear that but I totally understand.
I pulled the last of my calves like JSC (spaceman) have one bull calf in the lot left to deliver.
I got lucky that I had started downsizing a couple of years ago.
Now talk about need your head examined I bought some heifers yesterday 3/4 Hereford 1/8 Brimmer 1/8 Char.
I am just to stupid to quit.
Spaceman???

Sorry to hear that Todd. Tough decision but you are right, it is easier to start over than dig yourself out of dept and may never break even .

Todd, which sale barn did you use to sell your cows? Good luck, i sold down to eight head.

CB, how expensive were your new purchases? Sounds like a good mix.

They're currently awaiting the Friday sale at Gainesville. It'll cost me a bit to feed, water, and bunk 'em for three nights, but I figure they'll appreciate it. Might help 'em look a little better come Friday morning. It's the least I can do for what joy they've given me.

papavillars":2xb1siwr said:
Todd, which sale barn did you use to sell your cows? Good luck, i sold down to eight head.

CB, how expensive were your new purchases? Sounds like a good mix.

They were 600 a piece I just bought two wanted more. I was hauling for a neighbor, they were headed for the salebarn. He just couldn't hold on to them and I just couldn't see putting more on my place. Neighbor has been running my Hereford bulls for 15 years on 1/2 Hereford 1/4 Char 1/4 Brimmer. When I went to drop off the new young man he bought and load what he wanted to go to the salebarn we exchanged checks. Since I sold the last three young bulls in the lot figured I could add a couple of girls.

sorry to hear this, but things will get better for you. You have the right idea to improve on the pasture and so on while you don't have any. I only wish there was something I could do to help those who have to sell.I'll keep praying.

Todd good luck on the outcome. I have never been to the Gainesville sale, but was up there today doing some a/c work at spraylat.

CB sounds like a good price. Are they ready to be bred?

No they are seven months old, so I put them in the bull lot. It has four hot wires running around it hotter than the hinges on the gates of He!!. It is comical the 16 month old Angus is about to loose his mind, fence rocks his world. He just has to come back and check and it is hot everytime.

Latest posts