I'm not a hobby farmer, not a rancher, I'm a sad sack.

Help Support CattleToday:

NOPLCLKNEB

Reaction score
Definition of a sad sack: Always wanted to be a rancher, but never had a ranch or the means to buy one. Works ones ass off for a decade or two to get enough money to buy a small place. Digs post holes by hand, unrolls barb wire by hand and by self, has a 50 year old tractor that he babies just so it may last one more year, spends every available moment learning more about calves, cows, bulls, feed, grass, weeds, even though his live stock operation makes him 1.75% of his yearly income. Loves watching his kids grow up in the country, buys a lottery ticket only when the jackpot gets over $20 million, and would spend it all on land, cattle, tractors, and horses. Would only trade his life now for one with more land and more cattle.

Thats a sad sack!!!!!!!

It could be a lot worse - you could be living in the city watching your children being tempted by drugs, gangs, and many other things as well. As far as a 50 year old tractor, digging post holes by hand, and working your ass off for a couple of decades - sounds about right. May want to consider quitting the pity party and be thankful for what you do have, of course thats just my thoughts

You took my post wrong, I love being a sad sack, would I like to be a full time rancher, yes, it just isnt in the cards right now, I stated in my post the only way I'd be happier is more land and more cattle. The post was about making sacrifices so that you can do something you love to do, even if its on a small scale.

NOPLCLKNEB":4e89gl0u said:
Definition of a sad sack: Always wanted to be a rancher, but never had a ranch or the means to buy one. Works ones ass off for a decade or two to get enough money to buy a small place. Digs post holes by hand, unrolls barb wire by hand and by self, has a 50 year old tractor that he babies just so it may last one more year, spends every available moment learning more about calves, cows, bulls, feed, grass, weeds, even though his live stock operation makes him 1.75% of his yearly income. Loves watching his kids grow up in the country, buys a lottery ticket only when the jackpot gets over $20 million, and would spend it all on land, cattle, tractors, and horses. Would only trade his life now for one with more land and more cattle.

Thats a sad sack!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: Hats off to you anyone wanting it that bad and pinches pennys the way you talk about gets honorary Rancher.

You have a tractor? :eek:

I just finished sowing 200 lbs of clover seed with one of those push-behind spreaders that people use to put lawn fertilizer on. I am the chief source of entertainment for people in my area. :lol:

Now this thread has potential. I am going to be peeking at it every time I get a chance.

My tractor broke down while seeding pasture with a no till drill two years ago. I was about 3/4 done and the drill was rented so I finished drilling with my 1980 GMC rusted out pickup. Had to make big wide turns since I did'nt have hydralics to lift the drill out of the dirt. My neighbors had a good laugh on that one. But I got it done.

NOPLCLKNEB":20jp2gka said:
My tractor broke down while seeding pasture with a no till drill two years ago. I was about 3/4 done and the drill was rented so I finished drilling with my 1980 GMC rusted out pickup. Had to make big wide turns since I did'nt have hydralics to lift the drill out of the dirt. My neighbors had a good laugh on that one. But I got it done.

My neighbors got a ggod laugh out me raking a hay field using my Kawasaki Mule, they about choked when I hauled one of the big round bales up to the barn in the back of the same mule

dun

dun":3kdunum2 said:
NOPLCLKNEB":3kdunum2 said:

My neighbors got a ggod laugh out me raking a hay field using my Kawasaki Mule, they about choked when I hauled one of the big round bales up to the barn in the back of the same mule

dun

You got a Kawasaki Mule? Heck, I'm having to tote them round bales around in my wheel barrow!!

I move my round bales with a 5x6 trailer behind an S-10 Blazer. My three sons come up once a week and shove bales onto the trailer, we cross the road into the pasture and unload, go back and repeat the process until we have 3-5 bales in the rings. On days that are too muddy but I just have to get some hay out, I hand carry 8-10 square bales to tide me over until it dries out some.

I guess that makes me a sad sack too! :D I have a tractor from the 60's that works when it wants too. I have them load the round bales in my old S-10 pickup and then I roll them out by hand. Don't have a wheelbarrow big enough, so if I can't roll it where it needs to go, then it stays there. I put up all of my fences by myself, dug all the holes for the round pen myself(which wasn't easy considering we live in a little town called Rocky Ford, and it's called that for a reason! :shock: ) We can't go do Disneyworld, or anyplace like that, but my kids have the woods, the giant rocks, the creek, beaver dams, trees to climb, the horses to ride, the goats to torment, etc... That's a theme park in itself. I know where they are, I know what they are doing, and I know who they are with and our dogs protect them from anything I can't. I'm happy and would only be happier with more land and more animals, well and a little more money to take care of us and them. Life is great!

Folks,
Sign me up too. Guess I'm a sadsack. Bought my Lotto ticket last night-haven't checked it yet but as soon as I win I'm going to buy alot more land, a new tractor, a new Featherlite trailer and yes, more cows. Oh yeah, I'll get a new truck too. I've had truck fever for a few years now but haven't been able to afford the prescription to cure it. :)

Sign me up too. Still driving my 1949 Butane powered 4 cylinder convertable 5 speed Super M. Don't gamble, so I won't win the lottery, so I probably won't ever own big land or new tractor. But, I still love getting out on the old pasture and racing my tractor through the place at 4 miles per hour or dragging my disc at 2 miles per hour. Sure takes you out of your real troubles for a while. Putting rolls of hay out is fine on the rear cradle until the brackets brake and then you have to drag it with a rope or chain. But it is still fun to be a Sad Sack!

I may be a sack of it, but I'm not sad.

4 cows, 2 calfs, a bull, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids, the little lady and me.

I teach kids, coach football, talk to cows and hang out with my ranch hands (2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and the little lady).

I play the lotto about every other week, but even if I won, life couldn't get much better than this.
:cboy:

I guess our family would be a sad sack too. We live in a gigantic suburb and have about 43 acres near Whitesboro. We raise about 8 cows total and are about to sell all of them because of hay prices. Our new method is buy bred cows, let them calve and sell everything seperatly. We wish we could live in the country but my parents are waiting 'till I am out of high school. So, right now I get the education from a top 100 school in the nation and the common sense of living in the country( on the weekends anyway) and they resposibility and charachter ect. from FFA and the country.

lol- there is one misconception about the country though, atleast in our area. The headlines of the 2 page newspaper is always the lastest meth house that blew up, or the ramdom drug testing they do in school.

oh yeah, there is a reason my dad is nick named 1,500 $ Dave, he bought our mobile home, big tractor and combine seperatly for 1,500 $ Our place isn't to fancy, our barn is made out of old fence boards but it works and has survived some straight line winds in the past( there isn't any wind resistance, the wind goes right through the gaps ;-) )

But other then that we are sad sack who live part time in the country

NOPLCLKNEB":3mtvpya1 said:

Thats a sad sack!!!!!!!

I reckon that makes me a sad sack too. Only difference is I went to work for a big outfit that ain't a sad sack.

Thanks NOP , I'm a Sad Sack and proud of it also! I'm having a blast. I'm a lucky man to get to do what I enjoy and work right beside my daughter , even if it's evenings and weekends.
Thank's to you ol timers who teach me something every night right here on this computer and all I have to do is shut up and pay attention.

hey jw is that one of them new fangled super m's with live hydraulics and all the bells and whistles? I feed with a 1944 M outfitted with a F-10 loader it can damn near lift the big bales gonna put a heavier front end under it when I have to but not a minute before and also I believe you might even have power steering? I don't