I'm A Little Nervous

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
I'm fixing to start calving out 24 first time heifers, the next 6-8 weeks is gonna be a little stressful. Wish me luck.

Relax, for all the horror stories, most of the time they just calf on their own just fine. You want to keep a close eye on them and have a puller and other supplies ready in case you need them.

Dave":36c2issq said:
Relax, for all the horror stories, most of the time they just calf on their own just fine. You want to keep a close eye on them and have a puller and other supplies ready in case you need them.

Agreed. I check them every few hours, even in the middle of the night, and they're usually fine - especially if they've been pelvic measured, bred to a calving ease heifer bull. Good luck!

NECowboy":1lnq4trp said:
You'll be fine buddy post on here if you have any questions or pictures if having issues we'll help ya!

You can bet your sweet a$$ I'll ask here first, thanks.

First one on the ground this afternoon, beautiful heifer calf. Nursing momma in 15 minutes. Will try to figure out how to post a pic tomorrow.

We aren't that patient. Heifers 1 hour, cows half an hour. No progress and we check it out

dun":1ohr3ldy said:
We aren't that patient. Heifers 1 hour, cows half an hour. No progress and we check it out

Me too. Calving can be hard on my patience given my birthweights

Dun' s been at this longer than me and gives some of the best advice on here, Check often and trust your gut; if you think it ain't right , do something ! :cboy:

I started with 60 first calf heifers on 8/11 and now have 15 to go this is the only I had to help so far pic is s little dark

jcarkie":665jlfft said:
I started with 60 first calf heifers on 8/11 and now have 15 to go this is the only I had to help so far pic is s little dark

Pretty good record you got going there. Congrats.

I bought a PTZ camera last year to watch the pasture we pull heifers into when we calve them out. It's hooked up to the tv in my bedroom, can scan the whole field and dont have to get out of bed at 2 in the morning just to discover nobody is doing anything. One of the best purchases I've made.

dun":a6z86q79 said:

This rule would have probably saved a couple lost twins I had this year. Amazing how fast they can die up there. I reckon I gave the cow an hour of walking around with her tail up before I went in. Pulled first one dead, second barely alive but was dead by morning. Important to figure that cows actually get LESS time.

angus9259":2to8w8oc said:
Important to figure that cows actually get LESS time.
The don;t have to do the stretching and expanding that a heifer does, calves should just shoot out of them pretty much unless there is an issue of some sort.

Latest posts