I'm A Daddy

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
This is my first AI calf. Yeeee Ha. The mother is a PB Simmental sired by Flying B Cut Above, commonly called a Fat Butt. I AI'd her to Top Hand. My first AI last spring after taking the class in March. She had her calf today. She was not due until the 26th. I was going to put her in the crowding pen but when I saw her this morning she was in the far end of the holding pen. She did not come in for hay. I checked on her about an hour later and she was clearly in labor. I let her work for about an hour. When I came back, she had both front feet out. I walked up to her and I could see the calf's tongue sticking out between the feet. I got my puller. I put the chain on the front feet. I did not attach the jack. When she had a contraction, I gave her a little help, pulling back and downward. On about the fifth contraction, the head came through. She got on her feet. In a final push, she got the calf out. It was at this point, that she turned on me and I stepped back. At first, the calf did not breathe. I stepped in and got the calf turned so that there was no pressure on its lungs. I gave the rib cage a couple of pushes and the calf started breathing. She was licking the calf and I walked away to let her have time with him. I came back in about 20 minutes and this is what I saw, the calf was up nursing.
2yyqc1j.jpg

2zi7i3d.jpg

Really cute calf Inyati! :clap:
I know you are proud of your AI success, and YOU SHOULD BE......but you may NOT want to call yourself "daddy". It kinda sounds weriod, (not your semen.) :shock:

branguscowgirl":2nlu6b7a said:
inyati13":2nlu6b7a said:
M5farm":2nlu6b7a said:
luck for you it looks like its mama. and btw SHE"S FAT

I prefer to think of her as well muscled. :D
I think she's beautiful!
I didn't say she was ugly. This week I have done alot of windshield time and yesterday I was on some back roads and their was two places I went by that had the fattest cows I have ever seen . I couldn't tell if they were walking or rolling.

That is a nice looking calf. You mentioned pressing on the calf's ribs to get it breathing. You may already know this, but tickling their nose with a piece of grass or straw will often make them sneeze, which will also start them breathing.

Rafter S":21xekvfc said:
That is a nice looking calf. You mentioned pressing on the calf's ribs to get it breathing. You may already know this, but tickling their nose with a piece of grass or straw will often make them sneeze, which will also start them breathing.

Thanks. I did read that on here somewhere. I was watching the heifer because she did not want me there after the calf was born. So it was one of those hit and run type actions. It did seem to get him going.

inyati13":37sb6qd7 said:
This is my first AI calf. Yeeee Ha. The mother is a PB Simmental sired by Flying B Cut Above, commonly called a Fat Butt. I AI'd her to Top Hand. My first AI last spring after taking the class in March. She had her calf today. She was not due until the 26th. I was going to put her in the crowding pen but when I saw her this morning she was in the far end of the holding pen. She did not come in for hay. I checked on her about an hour later and she was clearly in labor. I let her work for about an hour. When I came back, she had both front feet out. I walked up to her and I could see the calf's tongue sticking out between the feet. I got my puller. I put the chain on the front feet. I did not attach the jack. When she had a contraction, I gave her a little help, pulling back and downward. On about the fifth contraction, the head came through. She got on her feet. In a final push, she got the calf out. It was at this point, that she turned on me and I stepped back. At first, the calf did not breathe. I stepped in and got the calf turned so that there was no pressure on its lungs. I gave the rib cage a couple of pushes and the calf started breathing. She was licking the calf and I walked away to let her have time with him. I came back in about 20 minutes and this is what I saw, the calf was up nursing.
2yyqc1j.jpg

2zi7i3d.jpg
Congratulations on the successful first time AI calf. That is a nice pair. Good job to both the Momma and you. :tiphat:

Latest posts