"Illegal Drugs" in a cow

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Waiting to get some calves weighed at the salebarn today and it was taking forever. Found out the USDA had called and the manager was on the phone with them. Seems that a slaughter cow sold thru that sale was found with "illegal drugs" in her.

So I guess that means someone used something not lable for cattle? Is that correct or did they send a cow thru that had been doctored and not past the withdrawal period?

As someone said on here we need to think past our gate. From what they said they trace this cow back to him and watch everything he sells very closely.

tom4018":1hf8d5hd said:
Waiting to get some calves weighed at the salebarn today and it was taking forever. Found out the USDA had called and the manager was on the phone with them. Seems that a slaughter cow sold thru that sale was found with "illegal drugs" in her.

So I guess that means someone used something not lable for cattle? Is that correct or did they send a cow thru that had been doctored and not past the withdrawal period?

As someone said on here we need to think past our gate. From what they said they trace this cow back to him and watch everything he sells very closely.

Could be either to soon or not approved. Doesn;t matter, someones going to feel like they've been banded.

dun

My bet there was antibiotic in the meat, someone treated it, wasn't out of the system yet, to answer question of how long stays in meat, read the label, on whichever drug is given, it says right there.

GMN

I was thinking there were packs of dope shoved up her you-know-what and they found it when she was palpated.

Besides, how would they know if a cow at the sale barn was medicated and not past withdrawl time?

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:31 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My bet there was antibiotic in the meat, someone treated it, wasn't out of the system yet, to answer question of how long stays in meat, read the label, on whichever drug is given, it says right there.

GMN

The key word was ACTUALLY stays in the meat. I assume that the drug maker cover their behinds in stating withdrawl periods. It would seem to me that for example LA200 has a roughly three day operating window after injection wouldn't it drop off rapidly after that? If in the summer the more water the cattle consumed wouldn't that make the drugs dissolve quicker? Not argueing just asking a question?

sidney411":28gvrcwq said:
I was thinking there were packs of dope shoved up her you-know-what and they found it when she was palpated.

Thats what i was thinking, too. I figured they were using the cow as a carrier, or transporter....or something like that.

Where I sell, you sign a ticket which record the head and type you delivered and contains a statement that you complied with all withdrawal periods on legal drugs.
I've heard of unscrupulous types concealing cocaine in mares, which were then moved about the country. That's wrong on about a dozen levels.

Herefordcross":3590zh69 said:
Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:31 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GMN

The key word was ACTUALLY stays in the meat. I assume that the drug maker cover their behinds in stating withdrawl periods. It would seem to me that for example LA200 has a roughly three day operating window after injection wouldn't it drop off rapidly after that? If in the summer the more water the cattle consumed wouldn't that make the drugs dissolve quicker? Not argueing just asking a question?

Every animal is different with withdrawal times, faster metabolism rate, faster out, vice versa, I know with milk withdrawal times, for example Pirsue says 36 hours after last treatments, but generally it is more like 72 hours. I think they put a date on there that is beyond enough where it will be ok, but I say if you ship an animal that was treated before the given withdrawal time, you are taking a big chance.

GMN

john250":12y7aosa said:
Where I sell, you sign a ticket which record the head and type you delivered and contains a statement that you complied with all withdrawal periods on legal drugs.
We sign one of those at the begining of the year. Covers the sale barn's behind thru dec. 31st.
They will not sell your stock if there is not a signed form on file.

Of course the fist thing that crossed my mind was cocaine. I know a man who is a tick rider in New Mexico and he says that that's a common way to smuggle drugs accross the border.Z

Latest posts