IH 966 value

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I'm looking for a rough value on a very rough 966.

Back story, owner has had for many many years this tractor. 3 years ago he parked it in the barn and bought a canned new holland. We have looked it over several times, the info plate is worn out, no readable serial number, the cab only has the front glass left, doors are who knows where. The cab is the wide excel, roomy for sure. Heater hoses run up the outside of the cab, the cab is ac ready blower froze up, no compressor or lines exist. 1 hydraulic remote lever just flops around and the parking brake does the same.

The good is, I put new batteries in it, after 3 years of nobody touching it, it fired right off. No smoke, a few leaks, nothing major though.

So a deal was struck awhile back. We put their metal roof on and the labor is a trade for the tractor. Unfortunately looks like the owners son might now want it, or a higher price put on it, worst case scenario.
So with all that in mind, I'm looking for a price, in case I have to haggle. It needs work, it definitely needs glass before I can run the round baler with it. I'm looking to figure out what the remote will cost to repair and replace the doors and glass. That might give me some room if need be. Any words of wisdom or advice for pricing is appreciated thanks

I can't help you on the pricing on that, but I would not be happy if they are going back on the deal you all made. If there is anything to them they will honor their word. Have you all already started or completed your end of the deal? If you haven't started your part yet, and they are trying to change the terms of the agreement already, I would be hesitant to move forward with folks like that.

owner has had for many years this tractor. 3 years ago he parked it in the barn.... I put new batteries in it,
So a deal was struck... We put their metal roof on and the labor in a trade for the tractor.
So with all that in mind, I'm looking for a price, in case I have to haggle.
Did you supply roofing materials or only labor?
Be a good scout.
Start with calculating the fair market value for your labor (and materials) plus the cost of the batteries. Write it out in the form of an itemized bill, so you can refer to it if need be when negotiating.
Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared

Back story, owner has had for many many years this tractor. 3 years ago he parked it in the barn and bought a canned new holland. We have looked it over several times, the info plate is worn out, no readable serial number, the cab only has the front glass left, doors are who knows where. The cab is the wide excel, roomy for sure. Heater hoses run up the outside of the cab, the cab is ac ready blower froze up, no compressor or lines exist. 1 hydraulic remote lever just flops around and the parking brake does the same.

The good is, I put new batteries in it, after 3 years of nobody touching it, it fired right off. No smoke, a few leaks, nothing major though.

So a deal was struck awhile back. We put their metal roof on and the labor is a trade for the tractor. Unfortunately looks like the owners son might now want it, or a higher price put on it, worst case scenario.
So with all that in mind, I'm looking for a price, in case I have to haggle. It needs work, it definitely needs glass before I can run the round baler with it. I'm looking to figure out what the remote will cost to repair and replace the doors and glass. That might give me some room if need be. Any words of wisdom or advice for pricing is appreciated thanks

You made a deal with somebody that is hopefully the owner...whatever the 3rd party states means nothing in my world, and hopefully the owner's world. Real simple to me, here is my bill for the roof, and since son can make up whatever he wants after the fact, so can you. So, whatever son's figure is on the tractor is now my new invoice for the roof.

To me, if dad made the deal then dad's word is gold, son's word or new input is manure...and should be spread in the spreader...IE, F him...where was he when the roof needed installed...or where was he when the deal was struck...better yet, where was he when he was needed at any point other than to try to make a better deal for himself...not his pops...just himself. Basically, I would tell the son to f off, and ask the dad the same questions I asked, where was he when the work needed to be done as opposed to when the value needed to be exchanged. I hate d-bags like that...and will call them out whenever I can...and usually they're cowards that back down sheepishly as they know that they're cowards and are in the wrong with their hands out first for payoff and last for helping

This kind of stuff really pisses me off. I don't give a damn about your age or gender or anything else, what I do care about is your honor. The old man, regardless of his age, knows this and maybe the kid does or doesn't, and I for sure don't know all the details as I'm only getting your info, but to me, a deal is a deal and that should end the discussion unless there are some serious underlying factors I'm not understanding.

This kind of stuff really pisses me off... and I for sure don't know all the details as I'm only getting your info, but to me, a deal is a deal
True, but don't know what 'made the deal a while back' means.

Shows the importance of acting in a timely manner after completing the roof, before memories become fuzzy and things pop up, like weren't you going to paint the building too?

p.s.
Farming is a business, to avoid misunderstandings learn to put things in writing when there is going to be a sizeable delay between the agreement and completion of a transaction.

Last edited:

If I read your post correctly the roof is on new batteries in tractor. Get your batteries hand a bill for your labor on roof and go home. Tractor will still be there in three years. Jr. ain't gonna fix it.

Tractor is probably worth $5,00-8,500. Your probably talking another $7,500 in repairs. I'm not sure the '66 series ever had AC, just heat. You haven't mentioned what the tires look like. That could be another $3,000 for tires.
Figure out what they owe you for labor, take the money, and find a different tractor that fits your needs better.

If I read your post correctly the roof is on new batteries in tractor. Get your batteries hand a bill for your labor on roof and go home. Tractor will still be there in three years. Jr. ain't gonna fix it.
This is how I feel as well, I do a lot of work for this family, except for this son, he loves to far away. I wan mainly looking for a value, foot work for the last couple days shows them in that condition up to about 6500 somewhat local. The hydraulic remote repair is what I'd really like to know what cost would be.

Is the remote linkage connected? If it is and the spool valve itself moves without resistance then there must be springs broke inside. But if the spool is moving the hydraulics should still function it just won't center/neutral itself.

I'd hand them a bill, collect the cash and go buy something less abused.

This is how I feel as well, I do a lot of work for this family, except for this son, he loves to far away. I wan mainly looking for a value, foot work for the last couple days shows them in that condition up to about 6500 somewhat local. The hydraulic remote repair is what I'd really like to know what cost would be.
Your words, "up to", are key. Tractor could bring half that at the junk yard. Can't help you on cost of hydraulic repair but figure high, parts aren't cheap.

Latest posts