IH 886

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
I've read a couple of negative reviews on the 886 engine....the 360 cid. according to tractor data they went to the 358 cid in 1980.
What is the general consensus out there on the 886? I was looking for something to bushhog with and feed hay with some in the winter. Should I bump a notch to a 986? They can be found around the 10k to12k range.

Not helpful to you at all, but those were some of the prettiest tractors ever made IMHO.

I have a 10 I assume same general trans. Great tractor but if you have to do a lot of gear changing they are not fun. If going to the field to work in one gear no problem. Would not be good loader tractor.

littletom":2o4fghod said:
I have a 10 I assume same general trans. Great tractor but if you have to do a lot of gear changing they are not fun. If going to the field to work in one gear no problem. Would not be good loader tractor.

The 10 has the 414 cid motor vs. the 360 in the 886. Anyway, as I understand it you can shift the TA on the go, which would be good for bushhogging ......
Also, is the parking lever always in the way or do you just get used to it?

You get used to them down there on the left. Just have to climb over getting in and out with a backwards door.

If I remember correctly the 658 is a german motor, and is lacking in power.
You'll probably have more trouble with the TA and tranny, than the engine though.

Latest posts