If...

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
...you could turn back the clock what would you have done differently in you life?

On hind sight I would never have allowed myself to get sucked into my family's affairs, allowed them to become dependent on me. Am only now managing to get out. Many wasted years but it's not too late.

alisonb said:
...you could turn back the clock what would you have done differently in you life?

On hind sight I would never have allowed myself to get sucked into my family's affairs, allowed them to become dependent on me. Am only now managing to get out. Many wasted years but it's not too late.

Families are messy never seen one that's isn't. My dad had a pretty good philosophy for dealing with family.
Never lend family money if you have to give it to them. Never expect anything back, when you go visiting never look farther than the kitchen. I didn't really understand that wisdom until later in life.
Can't complain about my journey too much. The few bad experiences sure brought a lot of wisdom.
The few things I would change are out of my control.

Actually, one of the few things I really would change if I could go back again probably seems a little trivial to some. Had I known at the time, that the last mission I flew on in a CH-53 would be the very last time I ever got to fly in one, I would have taken some time to savor the moment, indelibly stamp that last of a lifetime experience into my mind.

I'd have lived in a single wide and stayed single till I was 40 and I'd have worked harder when I had more get up and go and saved .50 out of every dollar.

JMJ Farms said:
I'd have lived in a single wide and stayed single till I was 40 and I'd have worked harder when I had more get up and go and saved .50 out of every dollar.
Definitely. I saved a lot and invested a lot but could and should have done much better.

There are most certainly mistakes I made along the way. But I am pretty happy with who I am now and where I am in life. If I did things differently I wouldn't be the person I am today. As the song goes,"regrets I have a few, but then again too few to mention".
It is too late to go back and change the beginning of your story. But you can start right now and change the ending.

Change anything in the past and your present changes...maybe for the better but maybe not.

I probably would be better off financially had I taken the last job offer I got. But had I taken it I most likely wouldn't have been available to meet my wife for no other reason than free time and every day priorities a job demands. Took a long time for our paths to cross and I'm happier now than before.

From what I've learned money doesn't mean anything if your not healthy enough to spend it doing what you want. Do every thing you can when you can.

True Grit Farms said:
From what I've learned money doesn't mean anything if your not healthy enough to spend it doing what you want. Do every thing you can when you can.

Your right money doesn't but happiness but not having any buys misery.

I can think of many small things or choices I would have done differently but that's okay I'm Good. The one thing in my life I wish I'd changed would've of been keeping my older brother from taking that car ride. He had told mom and dad he was going with an older friend, to his parents house to camp and such. I knew there was a plan to go to the neighboring town to see some girls. They never did make it there. Wish to this day I had told mom and dad his intentions. If I had they would have never let him go and maybe he'd be here today.

True Grit Farms said:

I literally remember the day I choose not to be rich. I knew that I could make lots of money if I wanted to but decided that I didn't want to give up that much of my life chasing the all mighty dollar. Now at 67 years old I am comfortable but certainly not rich. But the things I have done, experiences I have had...... Money can't buy that.

I wish I had asked my wife to marry me sooner. Took her on a 5 year test drive before I bought in completely. Thought at the time my job and lifestyle weren't conducive for a long term relationship. Didn't change much but 33/38 years later she's still hanging in there.

Dave said:
True Grit Farms said:

I literally remember the day I choose not to be rich. I knew that I could make lots of money if I wanted to but decided that I didn't want to give up that much of my life chasing the all mighty dollar. Now at 67 years old I am comfortable but certainly not rich. But the things I have done, experiences I have had...... Money can't buy that.

Good stuff, I hear ya loud and clear.

I'm not sure how much I'd change.. and I mean it's not because of lack of places I screwed up either, but I'd like to think I learned from them, and some, despite being bad experiences put me where I am now

Definitely would not have left school to work with family. Spent 30 years working to help my brother buy a property and my parents set up a big business.....worked my a...e off and ended up with nothing and no qualifications and told your on your own. I have four kids and they will all have independent careers, i guess the one thing i learnt out of it.