If You're the Cop...

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591":31w9u75f said:
... and you read this, how do you handle your job?
It's a tough job. I'm afraid it will get worse before it gets better. That part of this entire situation that upsets me more than anything is that our present "Father" of this nation could/should be able to speak up and speak out to bring the people in this nation together. Of all presidents in our history, he could have been the one to bridge the gap. He and his appointees have done the opposite. I believe it was in the master plan before he even became president. This thread could get political real fast, and locked. I do not want it to get locked, but if we "regular every day go to work" people do/say nothing then we are by default a part of the problem.
If I were a cop....... I would be on high alert and make sure my family was prepared as well

slick4591":18ygsi5i said:
No need to get political on this subject as I'm only asking how you would react in this situation.
You did not get polital. I was the one who brought the president and his administration in to this. The only purpose for that is my belief that the puppets and their master could, if they would, stand up against this in a much more compelling manner, and the result could be/have been better race relations. My point was they have purposely done the opposite. I answered your question in the last sentence of my previous post.
I admit I have mixed feelings about police conduct in recent years, but I do not judge collectively. I'll answer again; if I were a cop in urban areas, I would take extra measures to insure the safety of my family including myself. I would continue to perform my duty "as advertised", but I would never hesitate to discharge a firearm if needed, regardless of badge/no badge status. I do not believe police officers have less right to self preservation than other citizens.

Its a shame that Our leo can be led right into ambushes . I really don't have an answer to get this stopped but it needs to be nipped in the bud now

I ask this because this will make some quit and look for another career. Their partner will beg them to stay home and find another job. They'll beg them to move because the entire family is now being told that the officer is being hunted, and the partner and kids are now officially targets.

I don't believe for a second anyone could go back to the job and operate with business as usual attitude with all that happening. I don't think everyone is the same, but I know that I'd have to make sure my family was tucked away in a safe place first. Then, I would have to go back with a different attitude. Don't know just how long I could continue keeping the family hidden or I could operate under those conditions.

slick4591":2bocdej0 said:
... and you read this, how do you handle your job?

That's easy get there an hour or two after what ever crime they are committing.
Let the monkeys run the zoo for a while and see how long it takes John Q Public to get a belly full
Heck in Chicago if they would leave them alone they might actually kill each other off.

My real view on how this should handled is go get the terrorist dead or alive and put them on a desert island in the Pacific.

slick4591":19v5o2pa said:
I ask this because this will make some quit and look for another career. Their partner will beg them to stay home and find another job. They'll beg them to move because the entire family is now being told that the officer is being hunted, and the partner and kids are now officially targets.

I don't believe for a second anyone could go back to the job and operate with business as usual attitude with all that happening. I don't think everyone is the same, but I know that I'd have to make sure my family was tucked away in a safe place first. Then, I would have to go back with a different attitude. Don't know just how long I could continue keeping the family hidden or I could operate under those conditions.

Millions do it every day, simply because they said they would--they gave their word, they took an oath. No caveats, no exceptions, no "as long as it's under "these" conditions but not "those". Their word--an oath. If one is going to give it--it better mean something, because when all the rest is stripped away, that's all any of us have--our word.
You work with them everyday (you've said so in the past) so I guess you know them better than I and I can't say I'm surprised to hear this, but I will say I'm disappointed to hear it. (Not of you personally, since you are speaking of which you think LEOs would do)
"To protect and serve"

Grey, I think you are being idealistic. There will be some that will continue to try to do their job but, I'm afraid, that there will be many who are of the opinion that let them do what ever they want to and just turn their back. This is going to lead to vigilantism and rebellion on both sides.

lavacarancher":3gwm1q4f said:
Grey, I think you are being idealistic. There will be some that will continue to try to do their job but, I'm afraid, that there will be many who are of the opinion that let them do what ever they want to and just turn their back. This is going to lead to vigilantism and rebellion on both sides.

I agree. This was proven true in New Orleans after Katrina. Even some of the cops started looting. LEO, are only human.

I also think it will be a setback for the police not profiling when there is a segment of the population albeit not a segment of civilized society that wants to act like animals and view right or wrong based only on the color of the skin.

Of course I'm being idealistic. Every part of our constitution and all the things we hold near and dear are ideals-- what our entire nation is founded upon and what we as a population and as individuals use everyday, whether it be religion based or law of man based.
This is America--we don't run, especially when we've taken an oath not to.

Once we start producing law enforcement robots I think we can live in the world you're talking about, GB. In the mean time, we have to use humans that have their own psychological forces spinning in their brains. You know as well as I do every person has their own individual breaking point.

In this case the gang/persons are declaring war on all white officers. Things could go really bad because each person knows the Constitution will not stop a bullet. And, it's kinda crazy to expect a white officer to protect an individual that would rather see them dead. But, most will anyway.

Exactly--most will anyway because they said they would, they know the public expects it of them and that's what the constitution says. Those that would quit, good riddance--we didn't want them with a badge anyway.

greybeard":tnzahdam said:
Exactly--most will anyway because they said they would, they know the public expects it of them and that's what the constitution says. Those that would quit, good riddance--we didn't want them with a badge anyway.

So you're saying that a cop that wouldn't consider protecting their family isn't worthy?

No, I'm not saying that, and sure wouldn't use the word unworthy but when one enters public service, whether it's firefighting, military, nursing, medical care or any law enforcement, that "family" gets very very very large--it includes all of us. It's a balance between taking care of and worrying about their personal family while still being able to fully carry out they duties they gave their word to do.If their worries over their small personal family reach the point that they can no longer function in their full professional capacity, it's time for them to leave that profession and/or service and find another job. None of us, wants a member of any of those professions to continue in their voluntary roles if they can't fully carry out their duties. Their team members can't completely rely on them and we the public can't rely on them. Others, are waiting in the wings to do the job they found themselves unable to do.

That makes more sense than what I was reading before. Only thing is... when you have people lurking in the shadows waiting to kill cops, their wives and children you can expect a decline in cops. You can also expect that replacement waiting line you spoke of to be a very short one. Whether it's from being killed or simply out of self preservation policing will cease and military actions will take its place. If that happens what are you left with? Looks like it's going to be Americans using Al Qaeda style warfare against each other.

You nor I will live long enough to see it, but it'll happen if this train don't get turned around. I was sure hoping someone here had the answers.

slick4591":3co1kowm said:
That makes more sense than what I was reading before. Only thing is... when you have people lurking in the shadows waiting to kill cops, their wives and children you can expect a decline in cops. You can also expect that replacement waiting line you spoke of to be a very short one. Whether it's from being killed or simply out of self preservation policing will cease and military actions will take its place. If that happens what are you left with? Looks like it's going to be Americans using Al Qaeda style warfare against each other.

You nor I will live long enough to see it, but it'll happen if this train don't get turned around. I was sure hoping someone here had the answers.
Unless you die in the next year you'll live to see it.

slick4591":3720dz9d said:

I disagree with almost everything above.
I've been told countless times by both policemen and by their staunchest supporters-"They do the same training the military does, use many of the same weapons, take basically the same oath, have the same mindset, endure the same risks and dangers".
If that is true, then Why would it be necessary for the military to do the police's job?
Even in the worst of modern times, (1900 to present) historically, the desertion/awol rate in any of the military branches is less than 1 in 20,000, so unless I have been misinformed, why would the police be so much more inclined to hand in their badge and seek other employment?

Because getting shot at is not part of the job anymore. I'm thinking it's going to get worse for the cops in the near future. But when criminals start to really get out of control, the general public will get behind the police and wipe the bad guys out. We can not survive without the police and laws. The bad guys don't stand a chance when we've had enough and come together.

Latest posts