If you had one regret?

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90":195dua0z said:
jedstivers":195dua0z said:
Dave":195dua0z said:
In the words of an old Chris LeDoux song, "if I had it to do over again I wouldn't have drove so slow."
Which song is that in?
As to the question I wish I had gotten in these calves long ago.
Photo finish was the name of that tune.
I love that song.

I figured we'd have 15 pages of regrets. Evidently people haven't made as many mistakes as I have.

RanchMan90":2y1ynwv4 said:
jedstivers":2y1ynwv4 said:
Dave":2y1ynwv4 said:
In the words of an old Chris LeDoux song, "if I had it to do over again I wouldn't have drove so slow."
Which song is that in?
Photo finish was the name of that tune.
I'll have to find it. Thx.

Stocker Steve":1s19xxf0 said:
jedstivers":1s19xxf0 said:

Meaning buying in calves vs. ?
I had to get all the way out of cattle in 92. Got back in in 08.
Wish I had done it sooner and done calves instead of cows.
Actually I bought heifers that we're going to be breeding age in the spring. Market tanked to weeks after I bought them and by spring I realized how much I missed cattle so I bought a bull and kept them.
Wish I had gotten back in sooner and wish I was just doing calves. I still have that little cow herd.
Calves are what I really like though.

Bigfoot":3urdj5yz said:
I figured we'd have 15 pages of regrets. Evidently people haven't made as many mistakes as I have.
If you don;t regret the mistakes why mention them. Those are just part and parcel of what has made you who you are today. If you don;t like yourself then regret can be your solace. If you are satisfied with who you are why would you want to have changed anything.

dun":3jm3tpyi said:
Bigfoot":3jm3tpyi said:
If you don;t regret the mistakes why mention them. Those are just part and parcel of what has made you who you are today. If you don;t like yourself then regret can be your solace. If you are satisfied with who you are why would you want to have changed anything.

Wise words

Bigfoot":33l0kkjb said:
dun":33l0kkjb said:
Bigfoot":33l0kkjb said:

Wise words
Exactly Dun! When I think about "deleting" some of my biggest mistakes and regrets in building my herd the first thing that comes to mind is all I would have lost from learning from those mistakes. Although I can remember the stress some mistakes made in my life in the long run I feel I'm better of having made them and wouldn't change them if I could. Of course I've been in this for the long run since I started. If I had a short range "stocker" state of mind things would probably be different.

Bigfoot":8h35qz8q said:

I try to learn from others, but that does not always work. Sometimes you have higher or different goals than most.

So mistakes are part of learning. Key is keeping them small and not losing heart.

Stocker Steve":26tm7z3y said:
Bigfoot":26tm7z3y said:

I try to learn from others, but that does not always work. Sometimes you have higher or different goals than most.

So mistakes are part of learning. Key is keeping them small and not losing heart.

This is what I keep telling myself, not only about cattle issues but life in general. Keep working, keep learning, keep plugging along.

One regret is that I was unable to buy twice the number of Dads cattle when he got out. Those old cows had been culled over the years, good cows. The ones I could afford at the time have taken real good care of me.

talltimber":2kinootx said:
Stocker Steve":2kinootx said:
Bigfoot":2kinootx said:
This is what I keep telling myself, not only about cattle issues but life in general. Keep working, keep learning, keep plugging along.
:nod:
When you get throwed down hard you just got to cowboy up.
But sometimes you didn't think it would hurt that much. :cry2:

Mine, I still struggle with. Buying better quality cattle vs what I could afford or seemed like a good deal. Knowing when to hit the gas or slow down. Or what to invest in(quality feed, infrastructure) vs what is not necessary.

My regret is that I didn't stay or join in cattle all along instead of 6 years ago, but I guess we take other paths in life.

My grandfather farmed all his life and passed away in the 1980s. We kept the farm, but at the time, everybody had other jobs going on, so cattle wasn't a priority.

My dad ran a few in the 90s and my brother joined until around 2001 when my brothers work took him in other directions and my father couldn't do it alone.

I decided along with my brother to buy some cattle again in 2010, which we still have.

I don't claim to be a big time cattle man. My brother and I have 20 in a cow-calf operation. I know some people hate the term "hobby farmer," but that describes us much more than
Anything else. We aren't doing it for a living.

The farm has long ago been paid for, but if two of us could have been able to be together at the same time to have stayed with it, things would have been maintained a little better and all the "start up" crap would have been out of the way a long time ago.

We would have had the enjoyment of the cattle and would have made a few extra bucks over the years.

So I could kick myself for that.

Got the papers on a Beefmaster heifer I bought back when I was still running commercial. Now I am running registered and she is my best cow but the breeder lost his records for that year and now can't register her calves.

Also kinda think I would have done better going AI vs a bull. I got a good bull and I like him and his calves but I could AI and keep all my good heifers to build up my herd vs buying.

Probably wouldn't have bought an expensive heifer in 2015. I like her but with the price drop going to take a longer to make her payoff.

My regret is not picking up a half section that I knew was a steal about 10 years ago. Someone flipped it in about two years for almost double what they paid.

I just didn't think i was in a position to do so at the time, but I so wish I had.

wacocowboy":258ea1jl said:
Got the papers on a Beefmaster heifer I bought back when I was still running commercial. Now I am running registered and she is my best cow but the breeder lost his records for that year and now can't register her calves.

Also kinda think I would have done better going AI vs a bull. I got a good bull and I like him and his calves but I could AI and keep all my good heifers to build up my herd vs buying.

Probably wouldn't have bought an expensive heifer in 2015. I like her but with the price drop going to take a longer to make her payoff.
is dna testing an option? I haven't seen a drop in beefmaster prices. Especially females.

Commercialfarmer":2qpus7d1 said:
Bigfoot":2qpus7d1 said:
In the cattle business, not your personal life, what would it be?

An Arkansas man makes a simple observance on one of your threads and now you go and start adding qualifications to them. :D
I noticed that. Disqualified before the gate opened.

I just told the wife about 15 minutes ago that we missed doing things when we were younger and able. Thought came to me while watching a group hike in the big bend national park on TV and realized that we would never be able to do that. Age and joint breakdowns prevent it at our age. Some things that you do not do when you can will be gone for ever.

The boys are here hunting for the last weekend of deer season. And now their wanting to put a elk hunting trip together, I told them there's no way I could handle 8 hours on a horse, or breath a 10k feet.

Latest posts