If You Get Lost in the Woods..

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
Remember that moss grows predominately on the North side of trees and other objects
P1020238.jpg

P1020245.jpg

P1020243.jpg

Take a look around, prove it to yourself.

It depends on how thick the woods are. We have a section that the moss grows all the way around the trees.

Right dun, a tree needs to be standing so that the trunk gets sunlight for ths to work. The sun won't shine on the north side in any case. In deep woods where everything is shaded, moss may grow on any side of a tree.

ga. prime":lbckzhh0 said:
I like 'em fine J.T.. So do the Bluebirds.

Do you clean them out each year? I do some of mine but can't tell the diff between those that don't get cleaned.

Same here, Mike. I have cleaned some out before, usually not. I've read where birds like to take shelter in them in winter, so I think they'd be better left with the nest in them if that's the case. I don't think I've ever seen a bird go in one in the winter, but that doesn't mean that they don't.

ga. prime":1sr0donz said:
Same here, Mike. I have cleaned some out before, usually not. I've read where birds like to take shelter in them in winter, so I think they'd be better left with the nest in them if that's the case. I don't think I've ever seen a bird go in one in the winter, but that doesn't mean that they don't.

The bluebirds use ours during the winter. But we have more of a winter then you all do. Biggest problem is english sparrows

Funny thing about those English sparrows. I used to see a lot of them when I was a more of a young 'un...30-40 years back...shot my share with a BB gun around grain bins, feed mills, corn cribs, hog lots, and so on... even 25 years back I'd shoot 'em with a .22 off the wire that held the Martin gourds ...now, never see 'em. They've left the country I'm living in. What happened?... No more grain being grown or processed(to speak of)in this part of the South... times change.

ga. prime":1zonm9d5 said:
Funny thing about those English sparrows. I used to see a lot of them when I was a more of a young 'un...30-40 years back...shot my share with a BB gun around grain bins, feed mills, corn cribs, hog lots, and so on... even 25 years back I'd shoot 'em with a .22 off the wire that held the Martin gourds ...now, never see 'em. They've left the country I'm living in. What happened?... No more grain being grown or processed(to speak of)in this part of the South... times change.

You must have scared them up here. There isn;t any grain grown in this area, but there are (were) tons of sparrows. Last year I got a sparrow trap and eliminated a couple of dozen. Best day was 14 at one setting.

Never been lost in the woods. Got lost in my own pasture one night fog fell in so thick you couldn't see three feet in front of you. Once I found a fence I followed it, I was never than more than a 1/2 mile from the house and would have never found it without a fenceline.

Caustic Burno":17zkb88o said:
Never been lost in the woods. Got lost in my own pasture one night fog fell in so thick you couldn't see three feet in front of you. Once I found a fence I followed it, I was never than more than a 1/2 mile from the house and would have never found it without a fenceline.

I got lost once in Dismal Swamp while deer hunting. Turned out I was never more then about 50 yards from a dike road. That was one scarey place. Never got off of the dike roads after that

dun":23heoti5 said:
Caustic Burno":23heoti5 said:

I got lost once in Dismal Swamp while deer hunting. Turned out I was never more then about 50 yards from a dike road. That was one scarey place. Never got off of the dike roads after that

Dun, we own some swampland that is very confusing on overcast days. Creeks are supposed to flow south - not in this swamp. They flow ever which a way. Recently learned a neighbor went in to the main creek to go fishing and didn't find his way out till well after dark and he found the hill a couple of miles from where he started. I ribbed him some but in all honesty I have been turned around for a few hours as well. Its a strange place. I shot a deer one morning and tried dragging it to the hill when a big bank of fog moved in and I lost all sense of direction. After an hour or so of dragging I looked up to see the deer stand I was sitting in when I shot it. I just sat down and waited on the fog to roll out then tried it again. :oops:

Jogeephus":kdmg1sux said:
dun":kdmg1sux said:
Caustic Burno":kdmg1sux said:

Dun, we own some swampland that is very confusing on overcast days. Creeks are supposed to flow south - not in this swamp. They flow ever which a way. Recently learned a neighbor went in to the main creek to go fishing and didn't find his way out till well after dark and he found the hill a couple of miles from where he started. I ribbed him some but in all honesty I have been turned around for a few hours as well. Its a strange place. I shot a deer one morning and tried dragging it to the hill when a big bank of fog moved in and I lost all sense of direction. After an hour or so of dragging I looked up to see the deer stand I was sitting in when I shot it. I just sat down and waited on the fog to roll out then tried it again. :oops:

In the Dismal you can;t see the sky and there isn;t any water actually running, more like a big soggy area with huge trees that shade everything. Never really daylight alwasy kind of like late dusk, except when it's totally dark. The people that have deer stands any where off the roads have big reflectors fastened to trees about every 10-15 feet so they don;t get lost. Of course that was in the early 60s, now it's probably one big subdivision with houses every 10-15 feet.

I ran in a 1/2 Marathon in the Dismal Swamp last year and it is still pretty much the way you discribed it the race was ran on a 13 mile trail that circles around and through the eastern edge of the swamp it was some of the most beautiful trails I've ever been on.

I got lost in the woods a few years ago moral mushroom hunting with my dad. It was awful. Got to the point where I couldn't even look for mushrooms any more, had to make seriouse efforts to get back to him or car. My dad said he would buy me a compass ~ I don't know what on earth he thinks I'd do with a compass.....

P1020335.jpg

I was riding along the creekside sand ridge today and saw this tree and thought it would take an extraordinary scout to figure North just by looking at this Post Oak.

Gosh, that tree looks like it should be in the Wizard of Oz taking swipes at Toto :shock:
The stuff hanging from it, does the tree grow that? Are those its leaves?

Latest posts