Identity Theft

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
Just for your information. Seems like some folks might fall for this sort of thing so I pass it along.

JURY DUTY Identity Theft Scam

Here's a new twist scammers are using to commit identity theft: The Jury Duty Identity Theft Scam.

Here's how it works:
The scammer calls claiming to work for the local court and claims you've failed to report for jury duty. He/she tells you that a warrant has been issued for your arrest.

The victim will often rightly claim they never received the jury duty notification. The scammer then asks the victim for confidential information for "verification" purposes. Specifically, the scammer asks for the victim's Social Security number, birth date, and sometimes even for credit card numbers and other private information -- exactly what the scammer needs to commit identity theft.

So far, this jury duty scam has been reported in Michigan, Ohio, Texas, Arizona, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Oregon and Washington state.

It's easy to see why this works. The victim is clearly caught off guard, and is understandably upset at the prospect of a warrant being issued for his or her arrest. So, the victim is much less likely to be vigilant about protecting their confidential information.

In reality, court workers will never call you to ask for social security numbers and other private information. In fact, most courts follow up via U.S. mail and rarely, if ever, call prospective jurors.

Action:
Never give out your Social Security number, credit card numbers or other personal confidential information when you receive a telephone call.
This jury duty scam is the latest in a series of identity theft scams where scammers use the phone to try to get people to reveal their Social Security number, credit card numbers or other personal confidential information.
It doesn't matter "why" they are calling -- all the reasons are just different variants of the same scam. Protecting yourself is simple: Never give this information out when you receive a phone call.

For further information contact: Sgt. Andrew M. Walters (321) 403-6949

there's another scam going on the internet about wal mart vouchers. i don't know all the details but what they ask is that you pay them so much money to send you a voucher in the mail, you imeediately take it to the bank and cash it then run to western union and send it back to the company. the voucher says from wal mart and they are fake. had a family here in town fall for it. course, they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, but still....

I received and really official looking email from paypal yesterday. The return address was [email protected]. Looked very real. Saying someone had attempted to use my account and I needed to reply to them or my account would be closed. I didn't reply but I suspect they would start asking questions and would get around to wanting to change my password and stuff. I got a hold of paypal and sent them the email and they said yes it was a scam to get my info. They were going to try to trace it. I had sent similar reports to ebay but they don't give a flip. I got a form letter back basically saying buyer beware. This after I pointed out two scam running on their site. They didn't even make them remove them! :mad:

Another scam to watch out for. I dont know how widespread this is, but it really catches a guy off guard. It happens when you stop at a stoplight and two well built young ladies in bikinis come to your car and start washing your drivers side window and your drivers side windshield with their bikini tops while somebody else reaches in from the passenger side and takes your wallet out of your pocket and takes your money. They got me 3 times yesterday and twice this morning, but they didnt get me this afternoon as I was unable to find them again. BE CAREFUL, GUYS

stocky":25mkhoty said:
Another scam to watch out for. I dont know how widespread this is, but it really catches a guy off guard. It happens when you stop at a stoplight and two well built young ladies in bikinis come to your car and start washing your drivers side window and your drivers side windshield with their bikini tops while somebody else reaches in from the passenger side and takes your wallet out of your pocket and takes your money. They got me 3 times yesterday and twice this morning, but they didnt get me this afternoon as I was unable to find them again. BE CAREFUL, GUYS

Yeah they got me too. I went back looking for them and they got me again. Today I was ok because it was dark on the way in and I couldn't find them.

ANY e-mail from Pay pal will say your name, not "dear pay pal user". I fell for it, and paid for a gas card for some lady in the UK who got my info from me following the directions in the e-mail. But you are right, basically, they don't give a rip at pay pal.

Latest posts