identifying a "brisket"

Help Support CattleToday:

truckergirl

Reaction score
I have been around cattle most of my life off and on- but everytime someone says "there is a 'brisket' I seem to miss it- I can identify a lot of other things and this little fact frustrates me - can anyone embellish on the description or send me a picture of an obvious one? :?

I wish I could figure out how to cook one and make it tender. Had one out in texas and it was excellent but every time I have one around here it is tough as a boot.

denoginnizer":151plik2 said:
I wish I could figure out how to cook one and make it tender. Had one out in texas and it was excellent but every time I have one around here it is tough as a boot.

Trick is to cook it slow, cook it low, and keep it moist. :D

denoginnizer":8bp4520t said:
Cook it on indirect heat for about 1 1/2 hr per lb at 180 to 200 degrees, with fat side up and all the fat left on. 12 lb brisket 18 hr. If cooking in an oven you can cook it for 1 hr per lb at same temp.
Trim fat after cooking. Meat will fall apart.

Lordy LA, if you're gonna be THAT detailed, then don't forget to mention the marinade.........Gotta have marinade! :lol:

I use a java rub.
6 tbls ground coffee
2 tbls coarse salt
2 tbls brown sugar
2 tbls sweet paprika
2 tsp blk pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground unseetened cocoa powder

Scotty

TR":3luerq5w said:
Lordy LA, if you're gonna be THAT detailed, then don't forget to mention the marinade.........Gotta have marinade! :lol:
Nah. The smoke marinades it. Try it you'll like it.

I know what the cut of meat is and how to fix it, but the disease is what I am having trouble identifying. Thanks for the great ideas on preparing it though! The link to mistupid did offer something on the disease-unfortunately it was outdated and didn't help. So I am still curious if anyone can send a picture or good link to help me identify it! :)

Thanks- great description! Great site- I will be visiting it more often. I am new to all this and recently have had time to start exploring- it is easy to get side-tracked.

denoginnizer":2ewbqmic said:

Did one this weekend, it fell apart as I was cutting and the juice just ran out of it. Marinated it first 12 hours with dry bbq type rub, then soaked it in italian dressing for another 24. Then I fired up the grill using a little charcoal but using mostly apple wood to make the heat. Grilled it for about an hour on each side at around 275 degrees. Finished it in the oven for another 2 hrs on 200 degrees. I'll be having the last of it for lunch today :D

I put mine on the smoker for about 2 days, keep it wrapped in foil so it stays moist. Put in some strips of bacon and onions across the top and make sure the smoker don't run dry, cook it on medium heat. If it wasn't wrapped in foil you couldn't get it out of the smoker, fall all to pieces. Back strap is absolutely delicious this way too - only cook it about 24 hrs though.

El_Putzo":2obomqnq said:
Did one this weekend, it fell apart as I was cutting and the juice just ran out of it. Marinated it first 12 hours with dry bbq type rub, then soaked it in italian dressing for another 24. Then I fired up the grill using a little charcoal but using mostly apple wood to make the heat. Grilled it for about an hour on each side at around 275 degrees. Finished it in the oven for another 2 hrs on 200 degrees. I'll be having the last of it for lunch today :D
James, How heavy a brisket was this?

la4angus":13movo16 said:
James, How heavy a brisket was this?

It was about a 2 pounder. I think my butcher cut 2 of these from my half of beef last year. It was falling apart when I tried to cut it. I don't believe it was what they call "trimmed" because it had a fair amount of fat and especially in the middle. I think that's why it stayed so juicy.

Latest posts