Idaman

Help Support CattleToday:

I am not a Hereford breeder, but have found this thread to be most interesting. The history of some of these bloodlines is priceless and the stories about the breeders who developed or used these cattle.

WichitaLineMan":216us1pg said:
Looks like 'ol 175 is wishing he was still in California!
That's actually 320, 175 is still at the bull stud and probably has it made right now. :D

WichitaLineMan":1aodtl65 said:
LOL. That's what I get for guessing! I had a zinger of a reply, but this is a family site.
Well this cousin is back to CT from going to town and buying a new computer after my old one got infected with scareware.

Ned Jr - I sure don't miss those late snows. They are a cow killer in the other end of the valley. Oak poisoning ain't no fun. I consider myself lucky to only loose 10 cows in one day. The snow and wind drives the old bossies into the scrub oak and then if you can't get feed to them they the eat the young leaves and buds on the oaks and die in about a week from tannic acid poisoning. Actually I hated the unseasonal heavy snow storms there more that anything. One on the twentieth of August , our earliest, one laid all our hay down. Not too bad with a swather or rotary but pure hell with a horse mower. Not all technology is bad. Another on the tenth of June, our latest, killed those cows.

Like what the old Irishman said when he was asked how long he had been in Fairplay, his reply was " Aye eighteen months part of one winter".

I like the looks of that bull but would probably more without the snow on him.

1914-Hereford - Asked me a question and my new computer wiped out both his and my posts so here goes.

Trails End was sold by the Parkers probably in the 80s. It was right after Jim moved to Oklahoma and your dad moved to Coldwater. It still belongs to the man that bought it back then and is managed by a friend of mine, one of the Canterberrys. They have added some to it and also sold some for subdivision.

It was purchased in 1875 by my great-grandfather when he first arrived from Herefordshire via Canada. He purchased it from a man named Gibbs who Gibbs peak was named for. Their name was Balman. In the 30s they sold it to an insurance company out of Denver. Later they sold it to Bill White who named it Trails End. He was the one that had the purbred cattle and built all the buildings for his showstring. His main bloodline were the Alpine Dominos and they were dwarfey as they come, as we had quite a few.
At that time it was managed by Clarence Thomas, who I am sure Jane will rememberring great stories about from Franklin. Clarence was quite a character. His son is Ted Thomas who I am sure Jane would know. He now lives in Canon City as his mother lives in an independent livving facility that Connies' mother lives in. His second wife was originally a Squires and her daughter is a nurse here in Boise.

2010-4-23_calves.JPG

Branding 2010.

2010423_calves.JPG

I guess this qualifies for the breeds thread as there are several breeds shown.

Nice looking country. The Hereford calf in the middle photo sure looks good, looks like it's outgrowing the rest.

I hope you haven't ran out of stories to tell. :D

Ned Jr.":qf34auam said:
Nice looking country. The Hereford calf in the middle photo sure looks good, looks like it's outgrowing the rest.

Nope I sure haven't. Just gettimg started. I thought I would have run you off by now.

[/quoI'm sure KMac will post his own photos as soon as the bull has a chance to recover from the trip. In the mean time, Jane Deewall asked that I help her post a photo of KMac's D Advance 806 bull. He just turned two.
te]
1914hereford found another picture of KMAC's bull D ADV 806 who is now a hoosier in Indiana! Far cry from arid and windy Southwest Kansas. I'm sure he will enjoy it there!
Dadv806.JPG

Here is 806's half brother out of the same sire. He is also a 2 yr old. D ADV 888 (we call him Triple 8 Advance) whom 1914hereford (the parents) are keeping as a herd sire. He will be turned out with a set of cows this summer.
DADV888.JPG

Back to the Empire Valley saga.

While I was in Colorado packing my family the man I had watching the ranch called and told me that the upper two irrigatiom storage lakes had washed out leaving just the lowest one Browns' lake holding all the water. This meant that only the lower one half of the fields would get water for irrigation. At this point I decided not to put any cattle on the ranch for the first year because we weren't expecting very much hay for the next winter. After this my family and I, several friends, and two dogs started the 1684 mile trip to Empire Valley. It took us three days to reach the ranch and another two to move in. We had to purchase enough groceries to last a couple of weeks as the ranch was 80 miles and 3 hours from the closest town. When we wanted to get away from subdivision and ski areas we really out did ourselves.

There was an old Caterpillar generator set there that used about a gallon of oil a day. We ran it only for an hour in the morning amd another in the evening. To keep the fridges and freezers cold. One of the very first projects was going to be the installation of a hydro powered electricity generator. Maytag had commisioned a study on the feasibility of this and they said that it was not possible. However it looked to me that there was sufficient water if I could get enough fall in elevation to produce the power and speed we needed.

During the summer we received the purebred cows and the machinery. At first I wanted to take all of the heifers from our commercial herd because we had bred them continually from 1906 to 1977. However they reacted to their bangs vaccination and had to be sold in Colorado. The purebreds had to be tested for blue tongue before they were ready to travel. Our manager in Colorado started this process. He had the blood drawn for the test and shipped to the lab in Denver. The lab informed him that it had not received the blood in time and could not test it. So he ran everything through again but that time he hand delivered the blood to the lab himself and waited for the results. With that in hand he raced home to load the cattle because we only had a matter of hours to get them across the border . He loaded the cattle and they left for BC. They were to cross the border at Oroville, Wash. and be unloaded in Okanagan Falls, BC.
When they were supposed to have arrived I called the sale yard in OK Falls but they had no cattle for me and weren't expecting any. This meant we had a load of purebred cattle and a couple horses lost somewhere in the northwest with no trace and no one to call to trace them. I almost went into panic mode because the clock was still ticking on their need to clear the border in a few hours. I called the trucker that was to go pick them up from the Canadian side and he came up with the bright idea that they just might be at the sale yards in Okanagan, Wash. not Okanagan FALLS, BC. I called the barn in Okanagan and they said yes they did have a load of cattle for me. The trucker from BC left immediately for the six hour trip down there and then he got back to cross the border with just minutes to spare. The next day he delivered the cattle and horses to Empire but there was another small hurdle we needed to cross. Trucks could not get into the Ranch headquarters at Empire Valley. The limiting factor, besides the narrow winding road, was a bridge weight restriction for a suspension bridge across the Frazer River.That was fifteen miles from the house so the trucker had to tell us what time to meet him at the bridge and then we had to haul the horses down to the bridge to meet the truck. My wife Connie volunteered for the job and she and a worthless employee went down and drove the cattle home. These animals had been on the trucks for several days and then had to walk the last fifteen miles. I always felt rather bad about their plight and introduction to their new home. We put them out on the best close in pastures we had and somehow they seemed to forget and forgive.

There was a heavy skid mounted loading chute that was left at the bridge so we pulled it out onto the bridge so that the truck could back out onto the bridge just far enough to hit the chute. This way when the cattle came off of the truck they were already started across the bridge and we were saved the almost impossible task of trying to get them to cross a quarter mile long, swinging, suspension bridge

Ned Jr.":1w543cfo said:

I have told the boys that with our need to build up the blacks in effect it will only make the Herefords much better in the long run due to the stricter cullimg. I don't think they believe me yet.

scan00051.jpg

An old Canadian bull we woll be using this year. Notice the birth date, if you can read it.

Idaman":2ci7usjw said:
scan00051.jpg

An old Canadian bull we woll be using this year. Notice the birth date, if you can read it.

Do you notice any affects such as reduced weaning weight or anything else by using an old bull for A-I?

I am new to A-I and just wondering what a person could expect. I also realize that these bulls were really good bulls. But by the same token I have seen that most were sporting a 1200-1300 lb yearling weight.You can P.M. me if you would rather instead of clutering up the thread with my stupid questions.

JHH":37jbukfo said:
Idaman":37jbukfo said:
scan00051.jpg

Do you notice any affects such as reduced weaning weight or anything else by using an old bull for A-I?

I am new to A-I and just wondering what a person could expect. I also realize that these bulls were really good bulls. But by the same token I have seen that most were sporting a 1200-1300 lb yearling weight.You can P.M. me if you would rather instead of clutering up the thread with my stupid questions.

First offf there are no stupid questions on this thread we all are coming here to learn and share.

If you look back at the pictures of the cattle around 1900 you will see that there really isn't much difference in those of today. Maybe just better photography. We shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking that we are making huge progress, we aren't. By breeding you can change frame size some or genetic purity or WW but as the pendulum of popularity swings back and forth we will be forced to moderate our extreme changes.

These old bulls work for some now, have worked for many in the past, and proved themselves in their time or we wouldn't be using them now.

Latest posts