Idaman

Help Support CattleToday:

you're going to get me hooked on this deal again reading your stories.... makes me wonder how many other people out there that have seen this and never say anything.

I'm really enjoying the stories too. I like what I have seen (only through ads and pictures) of the Nash cattle in their current Deewall form.

Speaking of Onward cattle, didn't a lot come from Hull Dobbs I think in kansas, Winrock, and Borns in Texas. Was it Borns where you got the onward bull.

stockman12":2tnwbm05 said:
Speaking of Onward cattle, didn't a lot come from Hull Dobbs I think in kansas, Winrock, and Borns in Texas. Was it Borns where you got the onward bull.
Hull Dobbs may have had some ranches elsewhere, but their headquarters was just north of Fort Worth in Haslet, TX. I can remember attending a Field Day there in the 60's.

George

I saw tons of those OnwarId cattle and really liked them. I saw them through going to those operations and when they brought a carload of bulls to Denver.

The bull Franklin bought wasn't from any of those places but from a breeders just out of Amarillo. The operation only had the name of the owner and I don't remember that although I will do some research and see if I can find out about him. His cattle were quite famous at that time.

Now I have to say something about the Dewalls and their Nash bred cattle. I knew Jane(Mrs. Dewall) very well through Franklin and met Mike several times after they were married. Jane was attending OSU when she found our Hereford Bulls Inc. manager, that Franklin said had a mind like a steel trap. We were starting Hereford Bulls and wanted a good manager for the test feedlot and Jane found him. She asked the OSU profs who would be the best brains that could do the work and they came up with this man. He and I have been best friends, like brothers since that time. He and I learned how to manage Franklin during those years which is another whole humorous story. The mans commitment to Christianity that followed mine was also another thorn in Franklins side.

I have only visited the Deewall website and I too like what I see. I sure wouldn't be afraid of using one of their bulls and may do so in the near future or even some semen if I can find a bull that is mostly old line breeding.
They will be moderate in size fairly easy doers and very, very attractive in phenotype.

I belive there was a line of Haslett cattle but I don't know if they were connected with Hull Dobbs. I don't think so.

idaman - you made the comment that you have used canadian bulls exclusively for the last 30yrs and that you have lots of semen on some older canadian bulls that you can go back to anytime. if you care to - i'd like to hear about some of those you've used in those last 30yrs and maybe of those what you might go back to thru AI.

i can't remember where i read your statement about your next step being trying to find bulls that are either similair or bred the same as some of your better older cows... care to elaborate on that?

i'm a younger guy just curious... there aren't very many folks left around here to ask these kinds of questions. we run commercial and registered herefords and just recently started using black bulls on the commercial cows (its just too hard to ignore). my grandfather got his start with some prince domino bred females from McIntyre ranching from lethbridge in 1945. he got his bulls from eaton becker and archie parks and traded with a few of the local guys around here. when my old man took over he bought some females from hammel herefords out of augusta all sired by wetmore britisher aga 72x and used a son of the britisher wetmore 50y bull that made his herd. he also used some hartland cattle and boxer dhu from vlinker herefords and i think higgins brothers. later he used an "Andy" grandson out of a daughter of jim hole's bull standard lad 79H (79H was reserve champ at 1978 calgary sale). anyhow when i took over the good old cows here were all daughters of this andy grandson and by mothers sired by the son of the 50y bull from ulrich.

Just curious if you had any experience with any of these cattle - right now I am looking to breed back to some of those i've just named. 50y, the andy grandson, a direct son of andy by an idaho voltage cow, and 46E even tho i haven't got much of that influence. when i first started i had a hard-on for the voltage/generator/extra cattle. your comment about bringing in bulls or semen and linebreeding thru sons by certain cows until you got too many daughters in the herd and starting over peaked my interest cause that is exactly what i am doing - i suppose nothing new there but who else has can a guy ask that has been doing that exclusively with canadian bulls over the last 30 yrs

Hereford76":2zwo8doc said:
idaman - you made the comment that you have used canadian bulls exclusively for the last 30yrs and that you have lots of semen on some older canadian bulls that you can go back to anytime. if you care to - i'd like to hear about some of those you've used in those last 30yrs and maybe of those what you might go back to thru AI.

i can't remember where i read your statement about your next step being trying to find bulls that are either similair or bred the same as some of your better older cows... care to elaborate on that?

i'm a younger guy just curious... there aren't very many folks left around here to ask these kinds of questions. we run commercial and registered herefords and just recently started using black bulls on the commercial cows (its just too hard to ignore). my grandfather got his start with some prince domino bred females from McIntyre ranching from lethbridge in 1945. he got his bulls from eaton becker and archie parks and traded with a few of the local guys around here. when my old man took over he bought some females from hammel herefords out of augusta all sired by wetmore britisher aga 72x and used a son of the britisher wetmore 50y bull that made his herd. he also used some hartland cattle and boxer dhu from vlinker herefords and i think higgins brothers. later he used an "Andy" grandson out of a daughter of jim hole's bull standard lad 79H (79H was reserve champ at 1978 calgary sale). anyhow when i took over the good old cows here were all daughters of this andy grandson and by mothers sired by the son of the 50y bull from ulrich.

Just curious if you had any experience with any of these cattle - right now I am looking to breed back to some of those i've just named. 50y, the andy grandson, a direct son of andy by an idaho voltage cow, and 46E even tho i haven't got much of that influence. when i first started i had a hard-on for the voltage/generator/extra cattle. your comment about bringing in bulls or semen and linebreeding thru sons by certain cows until you got too many daughters in the herd and starting over peaked my interest cause that is exactly what i am doing - i suppose nothing new there but who else has can a guy ask that has been doing that exclusively with canadian bulls over the last 30 yrs

I guess it actually has been 30 years 1977 - 2010. We have used 85B, 68K, 31T 622N, 718,1637X, 446M, an 80S son, and their sons. I have semen from 2 80S sons that I might use. This year it will be 31T and cleaning up with a home bull out of a Volt cow and by a 68K son. These cattle under our conditions are not extremely large but we always need some more easy doing. I bought some L1 X Bar Pipe Admiral females in a dispersion and they are much larger maybe 400 lbs larger. We are trying to breed away from them.

Back to poor old Franklin. When we were running Hereford Bulls the young man we'll call Al(cause he is much much bigger than me and Al is easy to type and spell) lived in a house at the feedlot. He had a maingy old Germanshepard that he had had for some time an then he got a blue heeler from us that was going to be a much more useful dog. The old dog kept teaching the young dogs bad habits so one day Al shot the shepherd. Al didn't have time right then to haul the dead dog off so he left him lay. The younger dog missed his friend and slept up against him all day so all the fleas moved off the dead dog onto the heeler. At this time Franklin arrived on the scene to do the monthly books. Franklin hated dogs and never had one but for some unknown reason he let the heeler go into the house with him. Franklin proceeded to sit at the dining room table and the heeler feeling lonely kept loving up to Franklin and unthinking he kept scratching the dog. Needless to say a goodly portion of the flees transferred over to Franklin. Later on his way home in his big black Cadillac with white upholstery Franklin began to itch. It didn't take him too long to figure out where the fleas came from once he figured out just why he was itching so bad.

Another time we discovered how to handle Franklin in the management of the feedlot without confronting him. Al and I would mention a new idea to each other in front of Franklin and then immediately drop the subject. Invariably in a few days Franklin would come up with a new idea that we had planted. This worked like a charm for several years and Franklin never caught on.

Another time Franklin had his old pet 086 bull out somewhere for display for a hereford tour and he had him in a small corral. Franklin was very snxious to show him off and try to demonstrate that he was not mean. 086 just had a look on his face that said stay away which everyone did. But Franklin felt he needed to show just how gentle 086 was. I was very anxious to see how he did it and it took Franklin quite a few minutes to get up to the backside of the bull and give him a very small tap. The bull never moved and Franklin retreated post haste. I don't know if that impressed many people or not.

Our first Nash bull Advance 125. Very gentle no problems that way. Finally partialy figured out the photo gallery.

scan00016.jpg

Wichita - He was in central Texas so I'm sure it is bermuda grass.

How in the world do you resize those photos. I just learned to post them?

When you upload the picture to Ranchers.net, look down at the bottom of the page. It says: Linked Thumbnail. To the right of that is a link icon. Click that button. It should bring up some options. One of which is medium image. All you have to do is highlight that whole bit of information, right click to save, then come over here and right click to paste.

Could you post us some pedigree information on these bulls.

Thanks for taking the time to post them up for us.

Latest posts