Idaman

Help Support CattleToday:

Idaman":3awkb5ba said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5aCsBQcm8

These pictures are from the mid to late 1930's. They were taken by my dad on a bull buying trip to the famous Baca Grant Ranch in the San Luis valley of south central Colorado.

The bulls used there and in these pictures are of the Baca Duke line. They came from lines at the Wyoming Hereford Ranch and were later to be found to carry the dwarf gene. They were considered to be some of the better bulls in Colorado at the time.

The man you see is Col. Alfred Collins who developed the ranch and the cattle. He did a tremendous amount of work putting in irrigations projects amd irrigated hay ground.

The Baca Grant was one of many land grants to individuals by the King of Spain long before the Louisianna Purchase. When the US bought the Lousianna Purchase they agreed to honor these grants. The deed for this ranch I have heard reads "twelve miles square and as high as the heavens and deep as be nice". I believe it was well in excess of 144,000 deeded acres. The eastern boundary goes right to the top of those mountains in the background.

I know that eastern boundary because we hunted bighorn sheep along it for several years near the Crestone Needles.

We still hunt in the shadow of that mountain. Great pics . Thanks

Those are the type of bulls I like.
Can toss you sky high, but would rather have you scratch their backs. :D :D

great pictures.

I luv herfrds":14d3h72c said:
Those are the type of bulls I like.
Can toss you sky high, but would rather have you scratch their backs. :D :D

great pictures.

As in these pictures I always worry more about a perfectly gentle bull swinging his head at the flies and hitting you by mistake. Bet it would still hurt.

WichitaLineMan":2i11xadl said:
Those are cool videos. The mountains look absolutely awesome in the previous video.

Thanks. I have quite a few that cover many of the aspects of the way ranches were and did things in the 1930's and 40's. I am trying to break them down into short segments and then cover a theme before moving on to other ranch activities.

One more guy enjoying the stories and now video. Let us know when you get the book all put together.

Are you sure about the 1938 date? I didn't think color movie making was generally available then.

djinwa":1fz9ti1z said:
One more guy enjoying the stories and now video. Let us know when you get the book all put together.

Are you sure about the 1938 date? I didn't think color movie making was generally available then.

"Color Photographs
In the early 1940s, commercially viable color films (except Kodachrome, introduced in 1935) were brought to the market. These films used the modern technology of dye-coupled colors in which a chemical process connects the three dye layers together to create an apparent color image." Google search.

I am not sure whether or not they were using Kodachrome but believe that they were. I am dating generally by the people present, landmarks, vehicles, and stories told. Plus horses and dogs.

My Dad arrived on the scene in 1934 and grandad died in 1938 so the differences in their presence and the change in managemant style does not give a precise date but points to a fairly narrow era of probably less than 5 years. At this time I was 0 to -4 so that is another marker date.

Upon reviewing some more footage with this color dating in mind I found some colored footage of my grandfather who died in 1938. There are several distinct qualities of color that progressed as time and technology marched on. The color gets decidedly better in the 40's, not the red or yellow tint.

Can never decide which end I want. the slobber or the shoot end. ;-) :lol2: :lol2:
Normally end up doing the shots and tattoo.
That calf did get that guy pretty good.

Been there, done that. But nobody was filming, thankfully.

Hey, Idaman, just curious. The kid on the fence (with his mom?) ... any relation to you?

gbrumbelow":wjpy1mp8 said:
Been there, done that. But nobody was filming, thankfully.

Hey, Idaman, just curious. The kid on the fence (with his mom?) ... any relation to you?

Uncle I think. :D :D :D

Best part of that clip was the hats. I remember hats like that from when I was a kid. I still have my Grandpa's Stetson "Open Road"

Same hat LBJ always wore.

After posting that branding video it kept bothering me why I was not recognizing any of the crew which I would had surely done if they had been neighbors, regular employees, or local laborers. Then it hit me that during that time we had a haying and summer crew made up of short term release convicts from the Colorado State Prison about 35 miles away at Canon City, Colo.

These men were short termers or almost ready to be released after completing their sentences. We usually had a crew of about 10 to 15 of them. They were hauled in in the back of a cattle truck in June and usually stayed until October. They brought their own cook and one of the reasons they came was to get a cook that they could place requests with instead of the prison menu. They could also earn some money to help them get a start after their release. I heard we only had one walk away during the many years that they came.

My mother told me that when I was four I liked to hang around the shop where these men congregated when they weren't actually haying. One day I was standing beside her and we were watching a run away team race through the yard, tear out some fence, and then circle the small horse pasture until they were winded. As they went by us I let out a string of swear words many of which my mother said that even she had never heard before. This was at age three or four. It took me several years to overcome that early education.

I luv herfrds":3l2ihrpv said:
Can never decide which end I want. the slobber or the shoot end. ;-) :lol2: :lol2:
Normally end up doing the shots and tattoo.
That calf did get that guy pretty good.

My wife and daughters-in-law usually give the shots and just love that job. We even had to increase the number of shots we give so that everyone has a job(haven't had to stoop to saline solution yet). One of them, I better not say which one, just loves to apply the bander. This gives some of the male family members some pause but so far that desire has limited itself. Another of them just loves watching bull riding. So much so that she always cheers for the bulls. Wheneven a rider gets bucked off she nearly yells "Get en, get em, get em".

You just never know do you? :cowboy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5wa9KcsLrQ

A fun summer job tne cows really enjoy.

At 8000 feet it seems to work best in the summer.

Remember when at the Denver carload show W. T. Waggoner Estate bought 200 bulls that had to be dipped before leaving the yards. If you were there to see them when they came out you really could see the good ones.

Great videos, please keep them coming. What year do you think that was filmed? Just curious to why some of the hay was stacked loose and some baled?

Thanks again,
Alan

Alan":206a223g said:
Great videos, please keep them coming. What year do you think that was filmed? Just curious to why some of the hay was stacked loose and some baled?

Thanks again,
Alan

Thanks so very. Judging by the age of the dog I would say it was filmed between 1942 and 1944.

All of the hay was stacked loose and then when it was all put up they used a stationary baler to bale what they were planning to sell and ship via rail to major cities to fuel their delivery horses. Wells Fargo, mail delivery and many other uses. The very best hay that was baled went for sale and the cows got what was left over. Judging by the color of the stacked hay in the video it was too brown to bale and with the amount of snow on it they probably had a wet fall and the mold or brownness went pretty deep.

They pulled the baler from stack to stack and then baled them on the spot. The first baler used in our family was water powered and was in use prior to 1890. The water powered baler was located in a large shed and the hay was hauled to it. There was a canal from the Arkansas river diverted through the barn that turned the water wheel to power the baler.

Later I will have a tractor driven stationary baler in action in a video.

Latest posts