Carlos D.":3oh7kzyw said:
when you have local elections in the states do you

1-elect your sherriff
2--your district attorney

3 judges.

and if you do-- and all these people are elected .what keeps them honest

thanks carl

Yes, we vote all of those in but I'll stay away from the honest part. :lol:

We finally have a good judge. Things have changed somewhat in that the elected judges no longer preside over some criminal cases. I can't give the specifics.

We need a good DA. Don't know much about our sherrif.

MikeC":13xle0fg said:
Carlos D.":13xle0fg said:
when you have local elections in the states do you

1-elect your sherriff
2--your district attorney

3 judges.

and if you do-- and all these people are elected .what keeps them honest

thanks carl

Yes, we vote all of those in but I'll stay away from the honest part. :lol:
I really just want to understand how the system works--so if I say anything to offend anyone its not meant to be
so can you just elect joe blow for sherrif --do they have to have any law enforcement training

Yes, we elect the sheriff and DA. Some judges are appointed, some are elected.

Anyone can run for sheriff. All they have to do is pay the filing fees. But our current sheriff has years of experience and is a woman to boot. :)

Carlos D.":2v5vijmf said:
I really just want to understand how the system works--so if I say anything to offend anyone its not meant to be
so can you just elect joe blow for sherrif --do they have to have any law enforcement training

No they don't...just as elected judges don't have to have any legal background, at least here in Texas they don't.

Alice

so do you have a criminal code book that everbody has to follow the same rules--and can some smoothtalking lawyer get someone off on a techincality Im just curious how that works if the judge isnt a lawyer

carl

Carlos...can I ask are your Canadian laws much like our English ones???? is the law system on the same lines, i.e appointed for you?

What a lot of people don't realize is that there is no requirement that federal judges, including the Supreme Court, have a law degree. Of course they are appointed, not elected, and they do now all have law degrees.

Around here we have an excellent sheriff and pretty good judges, all elected. Our DA is a step above excellent IMO, also elected. For those of you who think I'm a right-wing, closed-minded, sexist pig, hear this: Our DA is a Democrat, a woman, I voted for her, and I will vote for her again. I wish she would run for higher office.

As for what keeps them honest, I guess you could say we do, or at least we should. They answer to us.

chrisy said:
Carlos...can I ask are your Canadian laws much like our English ones???? is the law system on the same lines, i.e appointed for you?[/quote

Chrisy

Probably close ---Our judges are appointed by the government They must have to have a pretty imaculate record I've never heard of one whose integrity was questioned The crown attorney applies for the job he generally has it until he quits --The police must investigate the crime and supply the crown with enough solid evidence for him to go to court and win the case If he thinks theres no way to win he will not go to court, these days its not likely too many innocent people go to jail

carl

Texas sheriff's, constable's, etc. are elected. They may be from any walk, but once elected they only have a certain amount of time to become certified by the State. I don't know any of the proceedures or by whom they are certified, I just heard they have to do it. I think I heard the Dallas County Sheriff is having a really hard time passing her tests. Don't know if she has yet or not. Not my county.

Carlos,

With respect to criminal cases neither the judge nor the D.A. determines a persons guilt/innocence. This is the duty of only the jury.

I trust very few politicians, but I'm from Louisiana - where we expect the politicians to be crooked.

cypressfarms":3vsf30sc said:
Carlos,

With respect to criminal cases neither the judge nor the D.A. determines a persons guilt/innocence. This is the duty of only the jury.

I trust very few politicians, but I'm from Louisiana - where we expect the politicians to be crooked.

on major cases we have trial by jury to, on serious cases--small stuff the judge decides innocence or guilt i.e. traffic offences .We have a justice committee in some small town generally 4 communitie members they will give out punishment to the kids -generally restitution and paying back any damages to property if they comply they wont get a criminal record .the parents are also brought before this committee I think it works pretty good

carl

Carl....do you have Magistrate Courts that deal with minor offences, and that hear the plea first and if it is to big a sentence needed they send it to Crown Court for Jury hearing. like us.....Chris.

Carlos, Then only thing I can tell you for sure is that when we get a good official in office, they get elected over and over. It is kind of hard to argue with something that works good. It is pretty simple to figure out when someone is crooked, there are generally several candidates trying to take their place come election time.

backhoeboogie":2n0k4ma4 said:
Carlos, Then only thing I can tell you for sure is that when we get a good official in office, they get elected over and over. It is kind of hard to argue with something that works good. It is pretty simple to figure out when someone is crooked, there are generally several candidates trying to take their place come election time.
Sounds sensible to me

carl

Latest posts