I want to become a Rancher!

Help Support CattleToday:

So how is this working out?

I wanted to be a rancher at that age too, and didn't think I could do it (not born into it) and went out and found one of those good careers. I've hated that career every day I've done it and always wished I'd tried to be a rancher or even just a cowhand instead. Now at 50, I'm spending an early morning before a big work project trying to figure out if there's any way I can start doing what I really want to.

No matter where you end up in college start now to figure a way to pay with out a student loan. Too many go to college because someone influenced them with the idea it's a necessity. They get a student loan, graduate with a degree that doesn't allow them to earn enough to live a life and pay back the loan! Then for years they're a slave to the loan. Make good decisions now and save yourself alot of grief.

The best way to do it is to get yourself a rich Father-in-law!!

Everyone's given great advice, and being a rancher takes MANY skills! Depending on what you like doing, going to school for HD mechanics, welder, cattle nutritionist, forage management, etc are all things that you can make a living off without a ranch, and will help you when you have one... I was personally born with a wrench in my hand, and without my mechanical skills we'd have been broke long ago.. when the tip of the pencil really has to get sharpened, the dollar saved goes further than the dollar earned.

If theres any way you can, stay away from student loans!

Wannaberancher":1m652uv0 said:
Hello, I am a highschool freshmen. I want to grow up and become a rancher one day. I have been riding for a long time and done some cattle work. Although my family is not into it i feel that is where my passion is. I could ride all day and night! I am trying to make the grades to go to Texas Tech University. They have a great agriculture program. I live in Florida wish i lived in Texas! What should I do now that will help me in the future? What is the average salary? ( I understand it varies though ) Help me help live the American Cowboy tradition going! :cboy: :cboy: :cboy: :cboy:

This guy is a one hit wonder from a few years ago - you talking to him or to yourselves?

Bez

If Jogee would give pointers we could all be gigiloes. Texasbred can get all the referrals for crowder women.

Latest posts