I want to become a Rancher!

Help Support CattleToday:

Wannaberancher

Reaction score
Hello, I am a highschool freshmen. I want to grow up and become a rancher one day. I have been riding for a long time and done some cattle work. Although my family is not into it i feel that is where my passion is. I could ride all day and night! I am trying to make the grades to go to Texas Tech University. They have a great agriculture program. I live in Florida wish i lived in Texas! What should I do now that will help me in the future? What is the average salary? ( I understand it varies though ) Help me help live the American Cowboy tradition going! :cboy: :cboy: :cboy: :cboy:

Unless you have cash money to get in the business , it is hard to get started , it is getting harder to find land to lease and if you do it is expensive, as far as profit to make $50 profit per cow is doing good. all your labor is free, you will have to have a full time job to support yourself and the family in the future. The older people you see with large herds have spent their whole lives building up their operation and are still in debt. Start small and build up slowly. Good luck :cboy:

You can also be a rancher in Florida. Some of my best friends are ranchers. The grass may be green enough right here at home. Lykes Brothers is a huge ranch operation. Babcock is another one. Where are you in Florida?

melking":1kyyaxg8 said:
You can also be a rancher in Florida. Some of my best friends are ranchers. The grass may be green enough right here at home. Lykes Brothers is a huge ranch operation. Babcock is another one. Where are you in Florida?
that what i was thinking ,, cracker cowboy

I remember being in your position. My dad did run a few cows but he always told me there was no money in cattle and not to waste my time on them... but my heart was in cattle and so that's where I've stayed and I've been really succesful so far.
Start anywhere you can. Any neighbor that has grass is a good person to talk to. Try to find work with cattle even if it's for free in your spare time. Hang out at the sale-barn and learn why some cattle that appear similar to you sell for different amounts. Ask questions, people that really love what they do enjoy helping someone with the same spark so it's good for everyone. ;-)
It takes alot of baby steps to get from freshman in high school to rancher but it can be done if that's where your heart is. Just move forward a little at a time and you'll get there :nod: .

Wannaberancher":3mh4au3q said:
Hello, I am a highschool freshmen. I want to grow up and become a rancher one day. I have been riding for a long time and done some cattle work. Although my family is not into it i feel that is where my passion is. I could ride all day and night! I am trying to make the grades to go to Texas Tech University. They have a great agriculture program. I live in Florida wish i lived in Texas! What should I do now that will help me in the future? What is the average salary? ( I understand it varies though ) Help me help live the American Cowboy tradition going! :cboy: :cboy: :cboy: :cboy:
Wannaberancher, you have managed to do at 14 what 90% of the population fails to do for years and that is to identify what your passion is and pursue that as a career. A wise man once noted that if you do for a living what you are passionate about you will never work a day in your life because a passion never feels like "work". It is always fulfilling. I wish I had discovered what I was passionate about at an earlier age. Good luck and I wish you all the success in the world.

Wannaberancher":2yculgvg said:

i always wanted to be a cowboy but there wasn't any money in it and the work was too hard.
i lived in the lubbock area for years and all that country is cotton country.
they have one cattle sale left but it's about to go belly up, just not enough cattle.
Texas Tech is a good school but i'd look else where for what your wanting.
as bad as this drought is, i'd think twice about Texas.
if your set on Texas i'd look at Texas A&M, if you don't mind being an aggie(look at texasbred :D )
wish you luck and hope you live your dream.

cross_7":g6inw4xg said:
Wannaberancher":g6inw4xg said:

i always wanted to be a cowboy but there wasn't any money in it and the work was too hard.
they have one cattle sale left but it's about to go belly up, just not enough cattle.

if your set on Texas i'd look at Texas A&M, if you don't mind being an aggie(look at texasbred :D )

Of course if you really want to be a COWBOY, you'll go to Oklahoma State ;-)

Isomade":1lumejlq said:
cross_7":1lumejlq said:
Wannaberancher":1lumejlq said:

Of course if you really want to be a COWBOY, you'll go to Oklahoma State ;-)

can't argue with good sense.
i spent a year or two in stillwater, tulsa, and up to wichita, ks and eastern ks
if i had it to do again i'd have stayed up there.

Wannaberancher":24a894sk said:
Nothing wrong with your dreams of the future. But be careful not to get so caught up in what you want in the future that you miss living now.
Best thing you can do is do a bang up job with what you are doing right now. High School.
Successs attracts success and opportunity. So do your best to be successful now.

Wannaberancher":2fqf0o6e said:

In addition to a good ag program, you should get into a good business program too, something that will get you more knowledgeable about finances, accounting, business ventures, planning, etc. to start a ranch that will actually make you some profit. Right now I'm auditing an accounting course from a university that offers online-learning stuff, and plan on taking more business courses (in addition to the ones I already got from my an sci major at the U of Alta.) so that I have a better and bigger advantage of pursuing my dream of becoming a rancher myself. Only difference from you is is that I don't plan on moving to Texas to begin my ranching career anytime soon. ;-)

Latest posts