I wanna quit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Yep you are a survivor but you quit....
I just belittled you like you belittled her.
You got to quit on your own terms let her.
Thats if you can get off that box without falling.[/quote]

Why not let it go. Does you or anyone else crushing Msscamp under your bootheel make Holly Heifers situation any better. It's not doing either of them any good. At the end of the day nobody wins and nobody is better off. It's like a bunch of chicks , when one has a black feather on it's head, or a little spot of blood, they all pick at it until the afflicted one is dead, then of course they are all better for it. You never know, you might be the next one to be Cattle todayingly incorrect and the other chicks will pick on you til you are dead. and I would like anyone on here to deny that it happens all the time.

I feel terrible for Holly, especially since I took a massive hit on my cattle this week, but I'm no quiter and if I was I wouldn't announce it to the whole cow forum. So Holly quit if you can't take it but it's sure better to perservere if you can. I for one will be pulling for you.

redfornow" You did get out of the cattle business? right? Did you put on your big panties? or just left with the dirty in you pants? It is a part of this business said:
Yes, we did - but not by my choice. I always have my big girl panties on, and I can/will deal with whatever life throws at me. I'm a survivor - I'm too stubborn to give up, and too stupid to know when I'm beat - so I keep trucking, always looking for a better way of doing things - and that is more than I can say for quite a few members on this board. As far as the "bad day" - I don't think so, I just get a little tired of the whining when life does not cooperate with any given person's plan. As has been stated many, many times on here - if you have livestock, you're going to lose livestock - deal with it, look for better ways to minimize losses, and get on with your business. If you don't like my responses, then don't read them.

Yep you are a survivor but you quit....
I just belittled you like you belittled her.
You got to quit on your own terms let her.
Thats if you can get off that box without falling.[/quote]

Whiners are losers. Msscamp is no whiner. SHE knows what it means to"cowboy up". Something a few others would do well to learn. She made a straightforward response with a good lesson in it.

I see where you took it to immature vulgarity, she didn't. Your attempt to belittle her failed.
I seem to recall her maybe going a little overboard a time or two in the past, then comng back on and apologizing. Let's see if you have the character to do the same.

"nuff said.

:p Gosh you guys, I was just frustrated. I do have on my " BIG GIRL PANTIES", we buried the
cow, the calf is doing great. We had 5 normal births yesterday-- all real nice calves.
Had a hard pull sat. pm ( 110 lb bull calf-- both are fine) and a heifer delivered a 40 lb.
pee wee ( all on her own! :lol2: ) They are in the " lets watch em close area".
I have been doing this for over 30 years and enjoy it. However, the lady that did the
C section on the hydrops cow is a saint in my eyes! :clap: wow, i never expected such'
a vast range of responses to my post. to some of you -- thanks for understanding, to the
others( you know you you are) Lighten up :cowboy:

holly heifer":31z9xuzu said:
:p Gosh you guys, I was just frustrated. I do have on my " BIG GIRL PANTIES", we buried the
cow, the calf is doing great. We had 5 normal births yesterday-- all real nice calves.
Had a hard pull sat. pm ( 110 lb bull calf-- both are fine) and a heifer delivered a 40 lb.
I have been doing this for over 30 years and enjoy it. However, the lady that did the
C section on the hydrops cow is a saint in my eyes! :clap: wow, i never expected such'
a vast range of responses to my post. to some of you -- thanks for understanding, to the

Holly Heifer,
We definitly feel for your lose. Last year we lost over 50% of our herd due to a poor choice in a "low birthweight bull" 140+ pd calves weighed at the vets. We ended up with vet bills galore (c-sections) and lost cattle and calves both to death and inabilaty to rebreed. If we didn't have other livestock to help eat the loss I do believe that would have put us out of business. I wanted to cry out in frustration to but didn't want to hear all the crap. I did choose this business and know that these things happen but it doesn't make them any easier knowing it happens. So for posting this I tip my hat to you.
This year is better, we were able to purchase a large group of heifers from a breeder going out of business for less than market value and we are expecting AI calves out of them in Aug. Our thoughts are with you and we are glad to hear that things are a bit better. It usually is our best animals that we loose early but that is the way it is. Don't know if you ever get used to it but one day at a time.
Best of luck to you,
DBL R

bward":s5ej63n3 said:
Dear Holly Heifer, Beleive me I do understand what you are going through. I had a real awful week as well. Death and dying, mad cows who are ungrateful when you help them, and grateful cows that die no matter what you do. I feel for you, I really do. Keep your chin up, and hang in there.

These are the worst, in my opinion. We've had a situation like this recently. We just had a kid die, she had a rough time of it from the beginning. When she was being born, a crow bit her tongue badly. She had to be tube fed for a week, and bottle fed for another week until she could manage to suck on her mum. He mum was so good the whole time, stood without being tied to be milked out, mothered the kid and tried to get it to drink. One day I went out and the kid was just drinking. But it didnt end there. The kid got joint ill - it came in through the tongue wound. Both front legs swelled and she couldnt walk but was happy enough. For three weeks, that doe looked after the kid, she would walk over and stand above her so she could suck, and she would paw at her and move her around so she wasnt always lying in the same spot. She recovered from the joint ill and was just about to be weaned when she suddenly died, no signs of illness whatsoever. But it just breaks your heart that the doe was such a good mother (it was her first kid) and did everything right and so much more and she eventually lost her kid. And she walks around looking for it and asking us where it is. That sucks.

Sorry for your loss Holly. I got that you were just venting, unlike some others. Hope the rest of your calving goes okay.

And in regard to the person who did the caesar on the hydrops cow -- I'm so sorry I cant remember who it was -- congratulations, and I'm glad you got a live calf. But (and I think any way I put this someone is going to be offended, just bear in mind I'm not meaning to offend) I'm a bit confused by the responses from everyone, that doing a cutthroat caesar (also known as a sacrificial caesar) was anything out of the ordinary. It is pretty much common around here in all livestock species, if an animal isnt going to make it through labour but the calf/kid/lamb/foal etc is still alive. Almost every property owned in the district has done one at some point or another. Not a nice thing to have to do, but it gives you at least one live animal.

Sorry for hijacking your thread holly.

Thats ok- We too will take a calf and sacrifice the cow if in dire straits. But, I have not the
know how to do it myself, I need to summon a vet. There for I applaude the woman that was able to perform it herself. :clap: :clap: Our other heifers have all calved on their own
and all have been excellant moms. :D Tomorrow the calves from last year go to the salebarn
in the feeder calf sale. Our hay supply has dwindled to almost nothing , they gotta go! ;-)

3waycross":1dzkk829 said:
Yes, we did - but not by my choice. I always have my big girl panties on, and I can/will deal with whatever life throws at me. I'm a survivor - I'm too stubborn to give up, and too stupid to know when I'm beat - so I keep trucking, always looking for a better way of doing things - and that is more than I can say for quite a few members on this board. As far as the "bad day" - I don't think so, I just get a little tired of the whining when life does not cooperate with any given person's plan. As has been stated many, many times on here - if you have livestock, you're going to lose livestock - deal with it, look for better ways to minimize losses, and get on with your business. If you don't like my responses, then don't read them.

I agree, plus sometimes it helps for someone to tell you just what MSSCAMP did earlier, it makes a person decide just what they really want and what they are not ready to put up with anymore. I used to know a Minister who did so much marriage counseling it almost drove him nuts. Eventually he got to the point where the first question he asked at the first session was "Do you want to be married or not, if the answer was no or I don't know he asked them to leave."

3 way I guess I must be blind...I don't see that much whinning on here. Sometimes someone just reaches out and hopefully someone gives them a hand instead of knocking them on their @$$. I just know I woulnd't want to be one of Mssamps grandchildren and come to her with a problem and expect "understanding and compassion". 9000 posts and still can't recognize someone hurting. :mad: :mad:

holly heifer":2gsiaolh said:

Hey, everyone wants to give up but the next day there is always light! GL with the calves! Lighten up on Mscamp....I once dated a guy who tried to commit suicide w a garden hose....I handed him a rope and explained to him the garden hose wouldn't tighten up enough! Sometimes it takes a hard look to clear up the nonsense!

I'm sorry, its probably not my place, but I have to say something...
The truly great teachers do not mind answering the same questions over and over... they have patience.
They do not mind giving someone the encouragement they need and the understanding
to see that they are not alone...they have compasion.
They keep bouncing around this forum day after day NOT because its an exclusive club of "know it alls" but
because they believe in and take joy in helping their fellow man (woman).
I value most the person who gives with nothing to be gained from it... to me thats the real measure of a persons character.
How many of you have come away from the computer with a smile on your face because of a kind word from
someone on this forum? WE ALL HAVE... so the day my heart turns cold and I can't offer a word of encouragement,
you all just send me packing.....

Holly, everyone here has wanted to quit at some point or another...its the NOT quitting and pushing on that makes you
stronger... best of luck.

Wisteria Farms":vb9potl9 said:
I'm sorry, its probably not my place, but I have to say something...
The truly great teachers do not mind answering the same questions over and over... they have patience.
They do not mind giving someone the encouragement they need and the understanding
to see that they are not alone...they have compasion.
They keep bouncing around this forum day after day NOT because its an exclusive club of "know it alls" but
because they believe in and take joy in helping their fellow man (woman).
I value most the person who gives with nothing to be gained from it... to me thats the real measure of a persons character.
How many of you have come away from the computer with a smile on your face because of a kind word from
someone on this forum? WE ALL HAVE... so the day my heart turns cold and I can't offer a word of encouragement,
you all just send me packing.....

Holly, everyone here has wanted to quit at some point or another...its the NOT quitting and pushing on that makes you
stronger... best of luck.

Nicely put!! Can not think of anything to add, and I do walk away with a smile and incouragment. You can always learn something. You can never know everything!
Double R

:D Calf update- the heifer from the dead cow is doing great. She is a beauty, a keeper
for sure, guess I wont quit after all! :lol:

holly heifer":2gzyxa6i said:
:D Calf update- the heifer from the dead cow is doing great. She is a beauty, a keeper
for sure, guess I wont quit after all! :lol:

Amazing how it seems there is no light at the end of the horrible tunnel and then there are happy things like this to make it "all better". Glad to hear about your healthy calf! Thanks for sharing!
Double R

holly heifer":1x8r30xj said:
:cry2: One of our very best 3 year old cows ( this was here second calf) had a terrible
accident last pm. She was in labor, the calf was large but by no means a 'monster' calf.
The calf came easily, then the whole uterus followed, the cow ruptured the uterine artery
and bled out and died. :frowns: Baby got up and was nuzzling his dead momma, looking
for teat. I dried baby off, iodined the umbilical and gave her a bottle of colustrum( which
she greedily sucked down) With a heavy heart, I took baby to the barn to be with my
other bottle baby. ( actually in separate pens---- they like to suck on each other :roll: )
This dead thing is starting to get to me. The calves were bad enough, but to lose a young
cow that had a wonderful bag, was a good mom , and was easy to work with, seems really
awful. Why couldn't it have been that nasty bad bag cow I am going to cull anyway??????? :x
I am going out here real soon to check them all again( its all I do) to see what train wreck
lies ahead for tonight. :help: Think of me! :cry:

A torn uterine artery? Now that is something I have never heard of. How did it get torn, by the calf or just during the birth process?

Rotten luck, it seems it always happens to the best cows too.

Gail

Gee, ol Carnivore has been absent from this forum for a year or so, and I come back to find the same old warm, supportive place as when I left! Nice to know some things never change...

Carnivore":16a06ydl said:
Gee, ol Carnivore has been absent from this forum for a year or so, and I come back to find the same old warm, supportive place as when I left! Nice to know some things never change...

Five months a year doesnt make. :dunce:

Latest posts