I thought this was cool

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I found this old can when tearing down an old barn. I have always loved Vernors. Interesting story behind the soft drink. If anyone wants to post pictures of other things they they think are cool, I think that would be cool too.

I had to google, to see what that was. Eastern Ky, drinks a lot of Ale 8. I don't care for it, but my kids do, so it's a rare treat for them. Don't like to go east of I 65, but if I do, I always pick them up a case.

I make several of these chairs a year, as gifts. They don't cost much, and they seem to make people happy. Cash would do the same thing ofcourse.

Next time you see a Vernors in the cooler you should try one. It is a good drink. Different but good in my opinion. I like your chair Bigfoot. Easy to take with you if you take the two pieces apart.

Bigfoot":1fggytey said:
I had to google, to see what that was. Eastern Ky, drinks a lot of Ale 8. I don't care for it, but my kids do, so it's a rare treat for them. Don't like to go east of I 65, but if I do, I always pick them up a case.

Bigfoot knows when he crosses I-65, he is in the land of hillbillies and rednecks. Not to mention the occasional brier.

BTW: Ale 8 made the national news about 20 years ago. I remember seeing it when I was out west. The official drink of Eastern KY.

Bigfoot":3ohsj8ie said:
I drink one each year. Had one last weekend at Mt Sterling, KY during court days. Had a friend drive there from Delaware and I bought him one also. He wasn't impressed. :???:

We used to LOVE Vernors! But not any more. They company was sold and corporate went down the cheap and nasty road so they use corn syrup. They may have changed more of the recipe but its not the same. Have tried Ale 8 since moving to KY. No thanks. No other ginger ale is as good.

Ale8 is from right here in the Clark County. Definitely the soft drink of choice for most of us here in the hills. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground about, folks either love it or hate it. I have cut back on sodie pop but keep some at the house for a caffeine emergency.

Bigfoot":3lqo1sgc said:
I make several of these chairs a year, as gifts. They don't cost much, and they seem to make people happy. Cash would do the same thing ofcourse.

That looks interesting. Would you mind sharing a few dimensions? Such as how long are the boards, and are they 1x8's?

Rafter S":2ez6y4cg said:
Bigfoot":2ez6y4cg said:

That looks interesting. Would you mind sharing a few dimensions? Such as how long are the boards, and are they 1x8's?

Yes, I've gotten several pm's about that. The back rest is 48". The part you sit on is 54". The hole, is 16" from the ground on that chair. I'm 6'6" and that height works well for me. Some one shorter, might want to lower the hole. That chair is 2 X 12. It's just pine. I prefer to have the local saw mill, make me a 2 X 12 out of popular. It's light, and looks nice with a varnish.

Ive never done cowboy reacting, or whatever that stuff is called. I stopped at one, to see what it was all about. I saw a guy sitting in one. I just kept fiddling with it, until a made one that was comfortable. I've never found a blue print online. I call it a key hole chair.

Went to the annual fall Cub Scout camp out this weekend with my 8 year old. The older Cubs (Webelos) made those chairs as one of the activities. They were a big hit.

They were made so the two pieces actutally slide together when stored

Anyone ever had Moxie? It's a Maine drink, comes in an orange can. I had it a couple times to make sure I didn't like it and I could never for the life of me figure out how people drank it. A national soda I never liked was Tab. My parents drank that by the barrel full when I was younger. I tried it all the time and couldn't stand it.

Bestoutwest":3ocbr7yx said:
AA national soda I never liked was Tab. My parents drank that by the barrel full when I was younger. I tried it all the time and couldn't stand it.
One of my sisters used to drink TaB. That stuff was downright nasty--sweetened first with cyclamate, and later with saccharine. Left an awful after taste too. I've never found a diet cola I could stand--not that I've ever really looked very hard.

There's a local soda around here called DrEnuf. Kinda like sprite but different. Not sure how far they truck it out. It's made in Johnson City TN.

pricefarm":1me9y4eb said:
There's a local soda around here called DrEnuf. Kinda like sprite but different. Not sure how far they truck it out. It's made in Johnson City TN.

I've drank Dr Pepper for as long as I can remember (close to 50 years).

HDRider":ujzcxhap said:
That can is in good shape.

What does that soda taste like? I've never heard of it.
Like kickinbull said it's not as good as it used to be, but it still has a different flavor. Very bold. If you smell it it makes you cough. Grandma used to get it for us if we were sick. I still get it for my daughter if she is sick.
I have some old hemlock barn floor planks that are true 2 by 12's. I think they would make perfect chairs like Bigfoots. I am going to put that on my list of things to do.

Blenhiem's Ginger Ale from one of the Carolinas is the best. In my drinking days I had whiskeys with less kick. It's an acquired taste.

pricefarm":2v7ad46g said:

Dr. Enuf is my favorite soft drink. I always take some if we're gonna be out of town a few days. Must be an acquired taste, because folks from out of town I have try it usually don't care much for it. the farthest west I've seen it is around Knoxville.