I think I'm sold on A.I.

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1

Reaction score
This is probably the best animal I got of any of my bulls doing natural service.
Yoshi3.jpg

These are some of what I have hitting the ground from my first year of picking and choosing doing AI
de7f2679-4e8e-4faa-ae71-77e7387b249c.jpg

19 days old
2039308d-74bc-451d-81dc-ea75938e916f.jpg

10 days old
85a53a1b-c15e-4865-8d65-e4d17fb4bda8.jpg

5 days old
32808f82-afc3-45a0-a85d-371ddd461dc4.jpg

Who Knew! :dunce:

cowgirl_jenna":31fyhoca said:
Nice calves!! AI doesn't cost, it pays...Big. the way I look at it.

That's debatable

cmf1":31fyhoca said:
This is probably the best animal I got of any of my bulls doing natural service.
Yoshi3.jpg

These are some of what I have hitting the ground from my first year of picking and choosing doing AI
de7f2679-4e8e-4faa-ae71-77e7387b249c.jpg

19 days old
2039308d-74bc-451d-81dc-ea75938e916f.jpg

10 days old
85a53a1b-c15e-4865-8d65-e4d17fb4bda8.jpg

5 days old
32808f82-afc3-45a0-a85d-371ddd461dc4.jpg

Who Knew! :dunce:

What exactly are you seeing different other than size?

That's debatable
Sure, wont argue with you there, but for some farmers its true. With that said, It's a tool in our ever growing cattle raising tool-box, and like any thing, if not used properly it can be a negative to your operation sometimes too. There are some very good herd bulls out there, many really, but the bulls I have in my tank I could never afford to buy them as herd bulls, so I see this tool (AI) as a way to better my herd, with proper matings, technique on so on of course. When my parents started using ai years ago I saw how fast it improved the genetics in the dairy herd, so I maybe believe in it more then some. As with everything, do what works for you, with-in your means.
Jenna

I agree with Isom.

60 to 70 days they will look pretty close to what they would look at a year on good feed. That's when you can start doing backflips.

I just purchased my tank yesterday. MVE 20/20. I will probably peak my head at about 15 cows. I debated and concluded I may never get the expense of my AI back. $350 for the class, a $200 credit for semen reduces that. $779 for tank. I estimate about $300 in the gun and accessories. I am 62 and how long I do this depends on the same kind of things that can happen to someone 35 so I don't worry about the age factor. But I don't make money as it is so what is the point in thinking the operation is going to pay for the AI. I wanted to have the diversity of being able to breed heifers to CE bulls. I operate totally alone. I have cattle because I want them, if I have to bother people to get the job done, I don't want to do this. It is a labor of love for me. I wanted a farm whether I had cattle or not. Then you say what am I going to do with it. I wanted cows. But I really don't see how anyone would do this for the pay unless they like the work because if you factor in all the cost and time to do it right, you would be better off working at McDonald's.

I'll be honest I like the calf by your own bull the best, might be just a better photo or angle than the rest but he's a dandy!

I "think" I'm sold on AI

Don't get me wrong, please. I'm not doing any backflips yet, but having fairly close contact with everything I've raised here, This crop is showing signs of a step forward to the type I want.
From muzzles to bones and stuff that may not translate well on pix, they just look more like what I want.
I know it's waaay to early to tell what they really are but my initial reaction is that AI can offer me things that ain't been there up to now.
The sale of my last bull pretty much covered the cost of getting into AI, so that made it a tad easier to jump.
This year will be much cheaper, next year and so on.
Without the live bull I figure I'm picking up space for 1 1/2 cows. I can make up the other 1/2 with a little tighter management.
And again I'm not backflipping, but I'm almost certain even at this point that I haven't lost any ground. Not losing to me is big when taking a leap.
Right now I "think" it was a good decision.
But then again Me and Thinking...UH.... :lol: :roll:

cmf1":3p6wjvb5 said:
I "think" I'm sold on AI

Don't get me wrong, please. I'm not doing any backflips yet, but having fairly close contact with everything I've raised here, This crop is showing signs of a step forward to the type I want.
From muzzles to bones and stuff that may not translate well on pix, they just look more like what I want.
I know it's waaay to early to tell what they really are but my initial reaction is that AI can offer me things that ain't been there up to now.
The sale of my last bull pretty much covered the cost of getting into AI, so that made it a tad easier to jump.
Without the live bull I figure I'm picking up space for 1 1/2 cows. I can make up the other 1/2 with a little tighter management.
And again I'm not backflipping, but I'm almost certain even at this point that I haven't lost any ground. Not losing to me is big when taking a leap.

Being with them puts you in the driver's seat. I'd bet you are seeing characteriestics that point to real improvement.

AllForage":3qpj8uf4 said:
What exactly are you seeing different other than size?
I think you diminish the significance of "size". It is a considerable factor.
I think the first calf is a great looking calf, but the AI calves, in my opinion, are nicer yet.
Congratulations! :tiphat:

cmf1":38217720 said:
I "think" I'm sold on AI

That is what I was looking for, thanks.

Thanks Angie.
Inyati, Best part, live calves from planned matings.
Now to wait and see if the plan is fruitful.
That first calf showed signs early and then leveled out.
These as of now just look like they've got more gas to get there.
If nothing else, it sure keeps the interest up.

Latest posts