I need to make a trap that will catch more than 1 hog

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I have a hog trap--the usual cattle panel box kind with the drop door, but I need to catch more than 1 at a time.
Any tips?

We built a door with angle and plate metal . We use 6 sheets of cattle panel and t post . Make a big circle out of the wire . Wire the sliding gate in and leave it open feed the hogs in it like a feeder pen. . Get them used to eating out of it . Them set your trigger . Put the stake as far from the door as u can .

corral_trap.jpg

dumb question, buthow do you get them in a trailer ?
i heard the buying station up the road is paying 50 cents a pound on the big ones

We have a box built out of cattle panel that we put in front of the door and run the hogs in it it slides on a trailer . Sometimes you get one or two that won't go in the box and we rope them . If they are real nasty we just shoot em .

You just make a big pen but put the trip trigger on the far side so as many as possible can enter before one trips it? Sounds good.
But I dunno if they'll stick around here long enough to get them used to feeding in the pen.
Haven't seen any for months and now this week, they're all over my place even in broad daylight. I guess they wander from one area to another in a big herd around here, and now it's my turn--but they may be gone next week. Tearin the heck out of the ground I have ryegrass on--and barely up. It rained about 2" here today, so I expect it's going to green up real good real soon (hope).

A guy down here has a pen trap. I think that he built it. It looks like this one:

bp42sm.jpg

I found the picture here: http://www.hawgtraps.com/

If you google hog traps images you will get a bunch of different designs.

Sorry that they are visiting you.

I looked at one that a professional hog catcher was using that will catch a whole herd of hogs. It had a swinging gate on it. The first few days after he sets it up he puts feed in the pen with the gate tied wide open. Then for a few days he'll have the gate where it will swing both ways. Lastly he'll fix the gate where it will only open in and not out. He said he routinely catches twenty or more hogs at a time in it. Gets the whole herd. He has a box that he fits on the forks of his tractor front end loader that fits up against the swinging gate opening that he loads them in. He said to never kill a hog in the catch open or you wouldn't catch another one in it for a long time.

Three things:
The trap needs to be big enough to fit multiple hogs.
Your trip mechanism needs to be harder to trip so the first one that runs in won't trip it.
Feed in the box trap with the door held open for a week or so before setting it. You will catch more hogs over a longer period of time. When you catch for a few days... feed and leave it open for a few days. (its like catching cattle. you feed in the cattle pens then one day you close the gate.)

You can catch multiple hogs in box traps.
Picture013.jpg

12trap.jpg

12trap.jpg
[/quote]

I have a round trap with a door setup like the one in the pic. At the bottom of the door I have a piece of sheetmetal bolted on. I set the trap door with a stick propping the door open about shoulder high ona 100lber. once a hog is in and door is tripped( use rubber bungee cords for the spring action to keep door closed. With the metal panel, seems to help other hogs push in. I have gone by my trap in the mornings on way to blind and have a couple hogs in there. Come back close to lunch and have 1 or 2 more in there too.

Brute 23 it's your door that makes the trap. And you have the best type, a :nod: swing door in the corner.

Not 'My" door but I agree. :) The swing door in the corner is the best. Run some trot line string (black or green) to the rear and make a hook with slick wire. Run the string at ground level across the rear of the trap. Cover with corn... then dirt... then sprinkle corn back on top. Make them dig for the trip wire. Gets them every time. :nod:

I have built all kind of box traps and round pens. My favorite is the 12' in the the one pic with the trailer backed up. Easy to move, set, and load from.

Latest posts