I need serious help!

Help Support CattleToday:

Pmichellecox

Reaction score
Hello,
I am an investigator for the Humane Society in a small town in Ky I dont know very much about cattle but i have a situation that i need help with from someone who does. there is not a livestock vet in my area the one i found cant seem to answer my questions.here is a brief history of the problem there is 2 pastures that are only seperated by a fench and they are not very big one is about 8 acres and the other prolly 10 the cattle are herfords small herds of about 15 -20 each the cattle are dying one owner is an experienced cattle owner and the other im not sure. my questions are can coccidiosis spread to the other pasture and affect the healthier cows and cause death i have searched cattle diseases and grass tetany maybe an issue with one owner but not the other cause he is still feedin hay and grain these cattle look very healthy the other dont they are thin and emaciated and and are dyin at a faster rate the experience owner gave magnesium to cattle but still have had cattle to die. I have called the water division and is havin the stream tested that runs through both properties to see if the problem could be there also. And what could cattle catch from its drinking source? Can someone please help me.
Thank You

You need to contact a veterinarian, there isn't anything we can do for you here other than tell you that.

If you can't get one locally, go out a little further, otherwise contact the state Vet.

Good luck

BVD can be air born as well. I would get your government rep for your area involved and get them to help you find a LA vet to come out and look at these cattle. Also the ones that are dying need to have a PM done on them. Good luck, sounds like a real mess.

Sorry cannot help more, as I am not familiar with the different agencies in the US.

If you come back and read the responses (which I doubt) try your state department of agriculture

backhoeboogie":2157vxyj said:
I'm just glad I didn't express the way I really feel about this un. :D

Go ahead BHB, it might give the rest of us a chuckle as this poster is a one hit wonder like so many of the others that come begging for help.

alisonb":3bnbyrfp said:
He/she was logged in about an hour ago ;-) .
He/she will learn quickly that this is no place for people who volunteer their time and money on behalf of animal welfare regardless of the organization to which they belong. My mom was an HS animal investigator for 30 years. We raised and butchered everything with feathers, as well as cattle, hogs and rabbits. We castrated and tattooed, shot things that needed to be shot and medicated things that needed to be medicated. We didn't eat till they did though, and all had water, shelter and medical care. Anyone who wants to poke sticks at people who ensure that the basic needs of animals are met does not deserve to raise their own. JMO

angie":2oolyzab said:
alisonb":2oolyzab said:
He/she was logged in about an hour ago ;-) .
He/she will learn quickly that this is no place for people who volunteer their time and money on behalf of animal welfare regardless of the organization to which they belong. My mom was an HS animal investigator for 30 years. We raised and butchered everything with feathers, as well as cattle, hogs and rabbits. We castrated and tattooed, shot things that needed to be shot and medicated things that needed to be medicated. We didn't eat till they did though, and all had water, shelter and medical care. Anyone who wants to poke sticks at people who ensure that the basic needs of animals are met does not deserve to raise their own. JMO

I don't disagree with you Angie. My father and grandfather did the same as your mother. I've got a lot of nickels invested in my program. It only makes sense that my animals are in the best of health for calf mortality, weight gain etc. etc. This is a business. The better I run it, the better the profit.

People get sick. Animals get sick. These things happen. I do my very best to stay on top of everything. If you are running 100 head, law of averages are you are going to deal with something almost constantly. Be it trivial or be it serious, you are going to have an animal that is not at its optimum health and much of it is beyond your control. Just deal with it. You've taught school. You don't have 100 percent attendance every day.

What I totally resent is people who know nothing about my practices lumping me in with folks who don't take care of their stock. They categorize all of us.

We have no idea what is going on with this herd. This lady/man is postulating. They are not a vet and do not have the practical exsperience you do.

My truck is not running right. Can you tell me what is wrong with it? I put on news tires, changed the oil, washed it, put on new wiper blades, filled the fuel tank, but it is not getting the optimum mileage it should be getting. I am desperate, and seriously in need of some help here. (this is how I view many of these posts) No one took the temp, no one shows you pics etc. etc. How can you help these people?

My guess is that this poerson has a 90% chance of disliking me because I raise stock. I work with lots of Muslim veggie folks every day and others that believe animals are sacred. They are entitled to believe what they want. Just don't put out more legislation that burdens me when I am practicing good animal husbandry.

I did not blast this person but the temptation is extremely hard to resist.

Read that post again. I had to read it a few times because there is little punctuation etc. No experience. Questions. No vet diagnosis. How can you be sure of anything? If you fix the problem they are addressing, the cows can continue to die. You have not fixed the animals. Each animal needs to be evaluated and treated accordingly. The ones that are already dead probably had it worse and were in lesser health.

If you neighbor's child was seriously sick, some of the children had already died, would you come on a forum asking for advice?

backhoeboogie said:
Read that post again. I had to read it a few times because there is little punctuation etc. No experience. Questions. No vet diagnosis. How can you be sure of anything?

Yea but she made sure we knew the vet didn't know much........I wonder what his side to this tale is.

Kingfisher":3upnp00s said:
Yea but she made sure we knew the vet didn't know much........I wonder what his side to this tale is.

We'll never know. If we are told, it will be difficult to read with the punctuation issues, and it will be second hand. The vet is not going to come on here and explain it. If the words do come, do you to take the time to decifer, figure out where sentences start and stop etc. You might get it right. You could still misunderstand. If it is all that important, why was the poster not clear and concise?

We have had these hit and run posts for years. Dun, msscamp, CB and a host of others that are long gone have come back with excellent advice for people. You never know if they even read the advice. It makes you wonder why people like Dun keep contributing.

Then you see good people get bashed for trying to help.

Angie could be dead on the money. You can only hope she's right.

We all have to start somewhere as far as experience goes. I came on here 4 years ago because my bottle calves were dying, and neither I nor my very competent vets could make it stop, and neither could any of you. But thats ok, people on here tried to help me, and thats all I was looking for.

No, I can't fix a truck ~ thats why you will never see me give advice on the post that talks about that stuff. I have no idea.
What this persons problem is? I don't know, I read it before anyone had responded, I didn't know how to help them, so I didn't respond.

Not every one is PETA. I think the same of those people as you all do.

Just my thoughts guys, nothing personal.

angie":3dfko6lw said:
No, I can't fix a truck ~ thats why you will never see me give advice on the post that talks about that stuff. I have no idea.

Truck's okay. It was an example only.

I read it before anyone had responded, I didn't know how to help them, so I didn't respond.

Probably goes for many. There's no telling about the cows.

Just my thoughts guys, nothing personal.

You're okay. Never thought you meant any harm in any way. I truly hope you're right about everything.

It seems funny that these kinds of posts have such a familiar ring to them, almost like a lot have been written by the same person. JMHO

Larry

Hi I have run into this problem and the disease can be spread through the manure walk through it then go to the next field and they get it we lost 7000 calves due to this disease it is very serious tell me more about what is going on and I can give better answer to the problem on how you can help

tmhgc":3d847ae3 said:
Hi I have run into this problem and the disease can be spread through the manure walk through it then go to the next field and they get it we lost 7000 calves due to this disease it is very serious tell me more about what is going on and I can give better answer to the problem on how you can help

Wow! 7000? Why was this not on national news?

What disease is this again?

it was coccidiosis it is a very contagious backteria that is in the small intestine and passes though the manure and it is a private ranch in nevada lol they never advertised in anything the owner just had money and the cattle were just pets i wish I had his money I would be happy. but us little ranchers fight to have enough cows to make ends meet and guys like that have them as pets.

tmhgc":1wyb5ddu said:
it was coccidiosis it is a very contagious backteria that is in the small intestine and passes though the manure and it is a private ranch in nevada lol they never advertised in anything the owner just had money and the cattle were just pets i wish I had his money I would be happy. but us little ranchers fight to have enough cows to make ends meet and guys like that have them as pets.

we lost 7000 calves due to this disease

Um, ya, whatever... :roll:

Where are the BS patrol when you need them..

Latest posts