I need lots of help

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
You need a pen/corral that they all come into when you call them up to feed. Then have proper gates setup in this pen to sort out the ones you want. Then have a alley or crowd to load them out and take the away. B&G

Make the corral a bit bigger. Have they been started on feed yet? Do they know what feed/grain is? If so, start feeding them in there, if possible. It would take a few days. Once they're used to going in for feed (even if there are other cows in there) then you should be able to sort off the calves from the cows, close the gate to the corral. Then you can start working on getting them to load. You take a 2 more panels, and make a funnel into the trailer (after making the corral smaller of course) and eventually you should be able to drive them into the trailer.

I hope that helps.

I know how frustrating it can be when things don't go as well as we would like them to. Been there a few times myself.

Katherine

Set up kind of a creep gate across an opening. A horizontal bar about waist high fastned so the others can;t get under it but the calves can. Feed them small amounts of grain/feed in a feedr inside. When they come in, block the way in and back the trailer up to the opening and remove the horizontal bar.

If the cows are fairly quiet and easy to load and you have a decent corral where you're taking them, haul them as pairs, sort the cows back off and haul them back. Next time you haul those calves they'll be easier as they've already loaded once next to mom.

I have a small corral setup like this on a leased place. This place has a large front pasture with a gate going to the smaller back pasture, I set up my small corral on the front side of that gate. When I need to catch some calves, I will walk the entire herd through the corral and feed the cows in the back pasture for a couple days so the calves get used to walking through the corral. When it's time to load them, I'll walk the cows through and once the calves have walked into the corral, I'll stop them by shutting the gate in rear with someone on the front side to shut the calves in, then I'll sort out whatever needs to stay. This works best for me since the calves are never interested in feed but they will follow the cows and are usually in a small group by themselves behind the cows.

This may not be feasible depending on how your pasture is set up, but walking the entire group through an opening on the back of your corral and trapping the calves inside once they get used to walking through it may be a possibility. I know that, in my operation, trying to get the jump on a small number of calves without them following their mamas into the corral is just about impossible. It would take men on horses or good dogs to do it otherwise, neither of which I have readily available to me.

First thing go buy you a good roping horse, 10k oughta get a pretty fair one. You'll need a good stout saddle and a 35' rope unless your a Buckaroo then you'll want atleast 60' or maybe a 100' they sure carry lots of rope.
Then your gunna need some dogs probably a couple curs or a catahoula's and 3 or 4 hanging tree cowdogs
If you don't have a half top trailer to drag them in when you get'em roped you'll need to get one of them too.
Fence materials, lots of wire and t-post cause you'll need to mend yours and your neighbors fence after you and them dogs run them calves through all them fences, but don't worry about that cause aint going nowhere their surrounded by ocean all away around.

Or you can skip all that and just do like Dun said

If you let everyone in the corral (usually by using feed as a bribe) the pour some more feed 10-15 feet outside of the gate and work the gate letting out the ones you don't want caught it seems to work the best.

Dogs and Cows":2rdcldnt said:
...I am really stressed out about this...

If this has you stressed then you might need to stop having cattle .This aint gonna be the biggest problem you will ever have with cows

Shanghai":212dsdvn said:
First thing go buy you a good roping horse, 10k oughta get a pretty fair one. You'll need a good stout saddle and a 35' rope unless your a Buckaroo then you'll want atleast 60' or maybe a 100' they sure carry lots of rope.
Then your gunna need some dogs probably a couple curs or a catahoula's and 3 or 4 hanging tree cowdogs
If you don't have a half top trailer to drag them in when you get'em roped you'll need to get one of them too.
Fence materials, lots of wire and t-post cause you'll need to mend yours and your neighbors fence after you and them dogs run them calves through all them fences, but don't worry about that cause aint going nowhere their surrounded by ocean all away around.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ace Reid coulda made a great cartoon out of all that.
Come to think of it, he probably did.

Or.....
_MG_8487.jpg

You need a trap where it starts out wide and narrows down then get behind them and push them once they figure out what is going on it is to late to turn around. It is best if it is pretty long like 50-100 yards and then when it narrows down to 20 ft have two 10 ft gates you can close behind you in case they get kinda spooked when it gets narrow and get past you. You can feed all your animal in that trap in the winter and it will make things really easy.

greybeard":aoemrkge said:
Shanghai":aoemrkge said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ace Reid coulda made a great cartoon out of all that.
Come to think of it, he probably did.

Or.....
_MG_8487.jpg
GB no wonder that white cow is all tangled up like that, they tried to fence her in with chicken wire! She was insulted by being put in a chicken lot. And I can't say that I blame her! :lol:

wacocowboy":mylepdc6 said:
And 4wheelers are very useful and it is best to have 2 :2cents:
I never could get a 4wheeler to turn sharp enough to stop a cow! The only time I resorted to the 4 wheelers was on an older smart cow that would not go into the corral no matter what. She drove me to cheap wine! All the 4wheeler was good for was catching up to her. :lol:

I would like to have a pair of well trained dogs. I have worked with a friend who has some good dogs and they sure do make life easy.

Latest posts