I need help....

Help Support CattleToday:

geminidreams

Reaction score
Hi, i don't know whether this the right site to post this on, but i really need some help.

I have a red angus cow and she had a calf about 3-4 months ago (it was her first). About three or four weeks ago, she started to lose weight quickly and (it seems) the muscles in her back legs are deteriorating (because she is having trouble moving them, but she is still walking around). We are going to give her penicillan, BUT this is not the first time this has happened to one of our cows.
The first time this sickness/disease (?) happened, a cow was at a friend's farm. It was there for a few months after we purchased it, because we did not have enough grass to support it and we were getting it spayed by the farmer. After he spayed the cow he noticed that the cow (the breed was a british white) had a sore foot. He check it out and notified us that the cow had a sore foot due to a stone being lodged in it. He removed the stone and let it be. Because the cow had being spayed, we took it home. During the next few weeks the sore foot continued and the cow fell pregnant to our angus bull. Yes, she fell pregnant AFTER she had been spayed(she had had a calf previously but would not take to the bull, so we decided to get her spayed.). Obviously something had gone wrong. During her prgnancy, her foot seemed to get better, than worse. She also developed a runny nose and started losing weight. She had her calf three weeks premature. He appeared to be fine and suckled well. The mother's condition, after the birth did not seem to worsen or get better until a month and a half after the birth. The condition worsened. Her foot got so bad that we had to lock her up full time and her calf developed a runny nose also. We were advised by a vet to give the mother some penicillan as the label specifies. The vet said not to give it to the calf because the penicillan would go into the milk and then to the calf. The penicillan did nothing that we could see, but we continued to give it to the cow. About four months after she gave birth to her calf she died. She could hardly stand and would not eat and drink. Her calf was still alive and we started giving it a little penicillan. The calf still had a runny nose and his muscles then started to deteriorate. We decided to be nice and put him out his misery. We shot him and burned him straight away. We did not want him living a living-death for the next few months.

This happended in 2005-2006. We had thought it was gone because we detroyed the two sick cows and put limestone on the ground where the cow lived. Unfortunatley it has returned and I would not like to go through that again because this cow has good calves and she is a nice cow. Please help....

Is this your spring time of year? Other then taking so long to die it sounds somewhat like grass tetany. The only other ting I can think of is selenium deficiency.
Unless she has a fever, giving pen willynilly won;t do anything positive. If this is the same vet that spayed the other one I would question any diagnoses he/she made.

I agree w/ Dun Grass tetany or some sort of mineral deficiency. Are you supplementing with some sort of minerals? Did you ever give any vitamin shots? How about deworming meds?

Keep in mind I'm no vet.The length of time these symptoms went on, along with the length of time passed after calving, make me question grass tetany. But I suppose it is possible. I'm sure Dun might have more experience with it than I have. Was there new grass growing? Was she a heavy milker? Same time of year in both cases? What size pen/pasture are these animals kept? It shouldn't be bacterial (considering all the penicillin) but sure sounds parasitic (wormy) to me. I would take a fresh fecal sample to a vet. Just my opinions. Sorry to hear of all your trouble, good luck.

TNMasterBeefProducer":288xfujx said:
Spayed.....lmfao.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The JapOx feedlots here spay females quite often . . . before they began spaying, they would find a lot of newborn calves in the pens, or aborted calves, or heifers dead or dying from dystocia due to the high level of feed during an unknown pregnancy. Most of the cattle are Wagyu X Jersey and are contracted, but a lot of the time the heifers have been (either intentionally or unintentionally) exposed to the bull before coming to the feedlot, and the people dont tell the feedlot. Or there is the odd steer in the lot that hasnt been denutted properly. So females are spayed upon arrival. Unknown pregnancies are a high expense in a long term feedlot situation.

So don't laugh, spaying cattle is more common than you think.

TNMasterBeefProducer":ex20fwp1 said:
Spayed.....lmfao.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is so funny about spaying a heifer/cow? It is done on a regular basis around here to prevent pregnancies in feedlot bound heifers/cows. Last time I checked it was about $5.00/head.

Latest posts